• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Max Distance Driver (150 class vs. blizzard)

aajpity

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
What would you pick given the choice? Blizzard plastic or 150class?

or do you use a completely different disc for Max Distance?

Tournament King for me. Most Blizzard discs are 150 class, but not all. Blizzard Katana will probably work nice for ya. I can bomb my dad's.

Last edited:
Yeah I was wondering what is easiest to just rip.. I guess Im still kinda wondering.. Wasnt a fan of my 134g Blizzard Wraith.. Not a fan of the regular Katana.. Was gonna try out a blizzard boss

Right now it is a 169 Bolt. That would be fun to throw around 150:)

Just clarifying: isn't Blizzard plastic all 150 class? 150 class, as I understand it, is anything less than 160g.

That said, I REALLY like ripping on 150 leopards and teebirds. They absolutely sore. You almost have to stand over them on the angle of release, but they cook.

Right now, though, the two longest discs in my arsenal area 153g Blizz Boss and a 170 domey star katana. The two are duking it out to see which one will lead me to break 550'.

Right now, though, the two longest discs in my arsenal area 153g Blizz Boss and a 170 domey star katana. The two are duking it out to see which one will lead me to break 550'.

Oh, fun. We should play Elm Creek or something...

A 175 Star Vulcan won the distance comp at BG am champs this week.

Threw my 167 P Katana 400' last weekend at Tour de Sol on 700' #9. Then threw my 164 S Wraith and blew past the basket by 100'. So, both. :p

Oh no contest, the Blizzards. They have added almost 50' to my drives at times. I am getting home in 2 on holes I used to have trouble getting home in 3.

150 Class. I have a 145 gram Q OLF I really like. I picked up a 140 gram Blizzard Wraith but it isn't doing much for me.

Currently using a blizzard 158g destroyer for my best distance (when I'm not cheating with rollers). I kinda feel like I should ditch it for now though as I'm having a distance crisis and feel like the high speed stuff is acting as a crutch:thmbdown:. It's so hard to give up you farthest flying disc though!

Just clarifying: isn't Blizzard plastic all 150 class? 150 class, as I understand it, is anything less than 160g.

That said, I REALLY like ripping on 150 leopards and teebirds. They absolutely sore. You almost have to stand over them on the angle of release, but they cook.

I think technically 150 class is 140-150.

Oh no contest, the Blizzards. They have added almost 50' to my drives at times. I am getting home in 2 on holes I used to have trouble getting home in 3.

My eagle took over one of my open slots.. This new innova disc I am hearing about will fill in the last slot.. I will be taking the wraith out and will not be giving blizzard discs a try for a few months again. I'll ask for one for christmas.

I haven't touched a Blizzard disc. Since I throw 175 g and up, something about taking 20% off of that doesn't agree with me. It might have something to do with the fact that I started throwing 175 g ultimate discs when I was 10 or 11. I understand the point, and I think that the idea of lower-weight discs that retain flight characteristics is wonderful for younger players or new players (in fact, I think a set of Blizzard discs would be great for introducing the high school girls I teach to the wonder of disc golf). But I also think that the technology may get to the point of being ridiculous after a time.

Alas, for me, neither. But that's mostly because I haven't tried.

Last edited:
A few questions for blizzard throwers -

I've tried a few, and i can't say that they will change my game, but i can say that they have the potential to open up the top end of the distance (range) for me. It seemed to me that they were very wind affected, and required a fair amount of lateral space to achieve a distance boost for me. It seems that this class of discs opened up the 375-450' range that i struggled to find in heavier discs with conventional throws.

I am looking at this class of discs like any other, and i am hoping to find a stable and understable (turnover) compliment to my bag. In the few times i got to borrow and test the blizzard i liked it. My normal weight is 169-171g, and i threw a 158g boss.

My Questions -
1) How much does weight affect the throw and/or performance? Are there any differences between a 158, 152 and 136g disc? Does this variance in weight affect the disc in the same way as the heavier stock?

2) I threw the boss and had generally the same type of performance as i expected, are there any suggestions to finding a blizzard class disc that acts like a long range turnover disc?

Last edited:
I haven't touched a Blizzard disc. Since I throw 175 g and up, something about taking 20% off of that doesn't agree with me. It might have something to do with the fact that I started throwing 175 g ultimate discs when I was 10 or 11. I understand the point, and I think that the idea of lower-weight discs that retain flight characteristics is wonderful for younger players or new players (in fact, I think a set of Blizzard discs would be great for introducing the high school girls I teach to the wonder of disc golf). But I also think that the technology may get to the point of being ridiculous after a time.

Blizzard discs are not really meant for young players or girls, the retain their stability so everything with the exception of the wraith will be far to speed dependent.
Top pros and distance bombers don't throw everything max weight or new for that matter.

i thought the same everything i throw is 170 and up but i bought a blizz destroyer 153g and i couldn't be happier...still throw my heavy stuff but i love the flight characteristics!!! it bombs!!:thmbup:

Latest posts