• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best of the rest

matt51776

I am curious what if anything, anybody likes from the little guy manufacturers. Everybody loves something from Innova,Discraft or Gateway. But what hidden gem discs are in the likes of Aotearoa, 1080, Daredevil, Discmania, Snap, Quest(to a lesser extent), Latitude, Aerobie, discwing and any I'm forgetting.

For myself I bought and actually like quite well the Aotearoa Raptor Atomic X., I also like the Snap Helios ( i won a proto on Ebay)

dd's drivers are great for teebird and eagle-x representations that are closer to the DX versions than champ.

discmania are basically innova discs or innova hybrids.

quest's inferno and tbone are great. the raging inferno dt and crossfire fall into the above average category.

l64's vision flies like a slower valkyrie.

1080 is basically a warlock in different plastic and a new stamp.

I liked the Inferno as a driver.

I also like the Latitude 64 stuff, but it just seems to be at a premium over here, so it's difficult to stock up on or just try out like the local stuff. Similarly, Millenium has produced most of it's stuff in premium plastic until recently, which made it harder to justify giving one a throw just to see what it does.

I have a L64 Mirus and the Opto Vision. At 170g+, it's really easy to turnover for anybody with 300' of throwing distance. The Mirus is a bit too overstable for me though.

Blake_T said:
dd's drivers are great for teebird and eagle-x representations that are closer to the DX versions than champ.

discmania are basically innova discs or innova hybrids.

quest's inferno and tbone are great. the raging inferno dt and crossfire fall into the above average category.

l64's vision flies like a slower valkyrie.

Discmania MD1 is a little less versatile(as new anyway all mine are new) and faster longer Roc in primo plastic at normal prices. I've seen Jussi meresmaa 360 them at sea level plus a few feet to 500' last summer. No wind help IIRC. More like very mild front left headwind IIRC. I killed my D-line(DX) soon on my punishing rocky tight home course. But I got dings and missing bits (minor) from an unused candy (softer than older blends) 12x Champion Teebird.

I didn't find my 163 proto SRP T-Bone to be superior or directly comparable to a Teebird. Fairly close but annoyingly flippier and less wind resistant with the fade of a new DX TB. Or close to it. Still a fairly straight disc for almost the whole flight but burrs immediately in rocks. New mold Raging Inferno is very overstable. I wonder why Blake rated it so high in the distance department in JFC. It requires immense snap and huge arm speed. Think putting Pred into max D competition. If your name ain't Bratten... On a low line drive with a monster arm it may be able to take more input power with grace than many other discs. That I don't doubt but it certainly loses distance by being so LSS and fading at high speeds.

DGA gets love too I haven't thrown them.

Little Flyer has the worst plastic I've witnessed. No experience with Lightning.

Aerobie Epic is too much for me but for good overhand throwers willing to learn it and in calm conditions it will tommy far. so a very small population benefits from them and the rest suffer big time.

Can't believe I spaced DGA, lightning, and millenium. Though DGA and Millenium have very clear ties to the big boys. I am a small brick and mortar shop near my local course and I try and carry everything, part for the novelty and part because I enjoy trying everything for next to nothing. Just wondering how many guys really do carry an odd company or too in their mostly big brand bags and what that disc is.

Is there a relationship between 1080 and Gateway or are they just eerily similar?

matt51776 said:
Can't believe I spaced DGA, lightning, and millenium.
I putt with a Lightning #2 Upshot (similar to a Classic Roc), and I've seen people make some nice straight fairway shots with their #3 Slice.

Haven't really liked anything from quest. Decent molds but flimsy rubbery plastic. If they made the raging inferno in Z plastic it would be a monster.

imo Sinus, Spike, Vision and the new Core are great discs.

Sinus - OVerstable, won't flip into the biggest headwind, like a Rhyno with glide
Spike - Great straight approach disc.
Vision - Great glide. BIG annys
Core - Great glide, good overall midrange

twmccoy said:
Haven't really liked anything from quest. Decent molds but flimsy rubbery plastic. If they made the raging inferno in Z plastic it would be a monster.

I heard that quest is planning on putting their clear plastic in the ridt mold next, followed by the t-bone...clear ridt... :p

Furthur said:
matt51776 said:
Is there a relationship between 1080 and Gateway or are they just eerily similar?

black udder said:
1080 is basically a warlock in different plastic and a new stamp.

They are the same as the proto warlocks.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I placed an order with Dave for something and he sent me a beautiful foam green E Warlock that I fell in love with. When I called him back to see if he could get anymore, he said that he wasn't making any like that anymore. I ordered 4 new green ones, but they had no stamp and are a darker green as well as a different plastic. He said if I wanted the same thing, pick a 1080 because he was just creating some for Revolution. That was the first batch of 1080's.

K-Dog 19 said:
[

I heard that quest is planning on putting their clear plastic in the ridt mold next, followed by the t-bone...clear ridt... :p

I have a Defender proto in the new Quest plastic, its very, very soft, more so than an FLX product imo.

is there any thing that compares to a D XL from the smaller companies that would be awsome.

WIpilot said:
is there any thing that compares to a D XL from the smaller companies that would be awsome.
JLS kinda, but thats not the smallest company also t-bone or #2 driver

The Helios is slightly larger diameter than a regular driver, and has a destroyer like rim ( like .01 in. wider), the top is moderately domey but tapers short of the edge similar to how the small amount of dome in a Pulse disappears at the edge more abruptly than you would expect and then is completely flat at the edge. Despite the size its comfortable in my hand. The plastic is quality, their description was Gateway S but I think its more pliable.

It flies less stable than most of the big bad drivers now. Less stable than a Force or X Caliber for sure, and imo less stable than a Destroyer. But it does have more glide than any of those as well. I am a much stronger side arm thrower than Backhand in general. Favorable conditions maybe 400 forehand and 350 backhand. Forehand I struggle keeping the Helios from flipping, back hand I have no problems it flies straight with little fade flipped flat. I can turn it if I want to easier than the destroyer anyway. I think its a good disc overall, it has its place. A player with smoother technique than mine would probably get more out of the disc given its speed and glide.

I like the backbone from Quest, it has a weird rim, floppy srp plastic, but it flies well, glides well, and finishes with a very slight fade and sits down.

matt51776 said:
I am a small brick and mortar shop near my local course and I try and carry everything, part for the novelty and part because I enjoy trying everything for next to nothing. Just wondering how many guys really do carry an odd company or too in their mostly big brand bags and what that disc is.
When I sold out of a brick and mortar location I found that the recreational players made up a lot bigger chunk of my business than I expected. Rec players liked the stable to under stable Lightning discs and Millennium discs like the Polaris LS that have the clear diagram showing that the discs goes straight (even though we know it does not go straight.) Rec players generally already have a problem with discs hyzering out on them, so they won't buy a Hookshot or an Orion LF, but a disc they can walk up to knowing nothing about discs and think "this flies straight" sells well to those type of players. They don't know a Surge from a Leopard, but they can pick out a # 1 Flyer without having to read anything or ask a question and feel pretty happy about it.

If I made discs, I would rip off the little oval with the arrow designating the flight of the disc that Millennium uses and put it somewhere on every factory stamp I had.