• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best rain shell ever!

FlipFlat

Birdie Member
So I have owned just about every rain shell made as far as technologic waterproof /breathable fabrics. Some are better than others but not by much all of them left me feeling hot and sweaty when playing Disc Golf or hiking. Even Gore-Tex the original pioneer that started the Waterproof /Breathable membranes way back in the 70's. But Gore-Tex has made very little improvements in their technology since then requiring the person wearing the jacket to reach a internal 70% relative humidity before the coat starts dumping water vapor. This may not be a issue for those who live in arid environments but for those of us that play hard in humid environments just won't feel that dry and will likely end up wet from sweat anyway. The solution is any shell made from POLARTEC NEO SHELL many higher end companies are using this highly durable fabric now but it's pricey. I just bought a shell made of this fabric 3 weeks ago by EASTERN MOUNTAIN SPORTS called the HELIX NEO SHELL on sale for $150.00 normally $300.00. I can't believe how breathable it is and I tested it in the pouring rain and I don't even need to vent with the pit vents. Those who are tired of feeling sweaty in a rain jacket the technology is finally here.

There are both softshells and hardshells. I have a Mountain Hardwear Conduit Softshell that I bought used here in the Flea Market that has been my only winter jacket for the last three years at least. It's pretty well fitted so it keeps me from getting my reachback out of control.

There are both softshells and hardshells. I have a Mountain Hardwear Conduit Softshell that I bought used here in the Flea Market that has been my only winter jacket for the last three years at least. It's pretty well fitted so it keeps me from getting my reachback out of control.

I like Mountain Hardware their Dry-Q laminate is actually made by eVent and is better than Gore-Tex.

I like Mountain Hardware their Dry-Q laminate is actually made by eVent and is better than Gore-Tex.

If I were to wash my Conduit, I have no doubt it would still look like new. I can't say enough good about MHW's products. My work jacket (I sit in an office) is probably five years old right now and also looks like new. I wear it every day.

If I were to wash my Conduit, I have no doubt it would still look like new. I can't say enough good about MHW's products. My work jacket (I sit in an office) is probably five years old right now and also looks like new. I wear it every day.

I have been wanting a pair of their convertible hiking pants for Disc Golf. I own a 3 pair of the lighter weight Gander Mountain ones very surprised how well they have held up being so thin. Just got done using NIKWAX wash in water repellent on them awesome products for fabrics, but I don't like their leather products OBENAUF'S is much better.

I will have to pick up some NIKWAX. My Conduit came already waxed, but it's really needing another round. Thanks for the suggestion!

I will have to pick up some NIKWAX. My Conduit came already waxed, but it's really needing another round. Thanks for the suggestion!

If your going to use regular laundry detergent instead of a sport wash of some sort. I would recommend washing it a second time with only water to make sure 100% of the detergent it's rinsed out if not the wash in waterproofer will not be as nearly effective. So technically then would be 3 washings in a row instead of two. The cheapest non detergent I have found is at WalMart it basically just a soap I think is called Sports wash in the hunting /fishing section. NIKWAX sells a soap but I think it over priced PS NIKWAX is a polymer of some sort and can survive at least 9 washings before wearing off.

sport washes are good, but if you really wear the hell out of a rain shell, avoid washing until you REALLY have to, IMHO. my cycling and motorcycle rain jackets are for downpours, and I just let them get really nasty before they get cleaned....:\

Latest posts