• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bubble Flight Plate vs. Non-Bubble Flight Plate

smurphy29

Par Member
Any flight differences between the Blizzard plastic discs with bubbles in the flight plate and rim compared to Blizzard plastic discs with bubbles in the rim only?

In any disc, especially wide-rimmed drivers, which the Blizzard discs all are - good flight characteristics are dependent on weight distribution in the rim.

I recently ran a tournament with Blizzard Bosses and Wraiths as options in the players' pack. Looking through the discs (50 of each model), not a single Boss had bubbles exclusively in the flight plate - some had bubbles along half of the flight plate, which IMO should have been X-outs.

Now, onto my personal experience - I kept four Blizzard discs, 2 of each.

With the Blizzards that have bubbles in the rim, the bubbles pop when the disc impacts something, and you start to feel roughness along the disc surface, even moreso than when you first get it. They begin to fly inconsistent and become worthless. These discs were the lighter ones, one being 135, the other 136.

The Blizzards with the bubbles in the flight plate in my experience tended to be heavier, one being 157, the other 159. These have been great discs for me, since I've had trouble with sidearm, these Blizzards stay consistent and are helping me learn sidearm throwing.

This is all just my take, of course, but I would say in general Blizzard plastic is just gimmicky anyways, and the discs don't fly to their numbers.

bubbles on flight plate=win also my fave of the bunch is the wraith easy uphill distance and 20% power with right snap drives make this sucker fly like if i cranked out a max weight one

Last edited:
Having seen some of the newer no-bubble flight plate Blizzards, I can honestly say that I won't be buying any more online.

Mr. D at Innova says that the no flite plate bubbles is the future, becasue they had too many defects with the bubbles in the flite plate. In other words, there will be no more made with bubbles in the flite plate. Mr. D also acknowledged that the bubbles in the flite plate allowed the discs to be more gyroscopic, which generally translates to more stability with more spin.

My experience is that 150 destroyers with bubbles in rim only are perfect, and no other discs are needed, except teebird, roc, and aviar.

I bought three blizzards. A boss, destroyer, and katana. The only one I kept was the Boss. It has bubbles in the flight plate, is 135g, and flies consistently for me. The destroyer was 150g, no bubbles in the flight plate, and flew ok, but I didn't see a place in my bag for it. The Katana was 135g, no plate bubbles, and was a domey mega-overstable POS.

Blizzard discs are garbage as far as consistency, would rather have a bag full of gateway shiz

how is a katana overstable? wow must of been a real bad run

If you are a person throwing 180 feet then a Katana flies overstable for you :)

I have had some katanas that fade very hard after their initial HS turn.

Get blizzard discs with bubbles everywhere, they are the ones that fly just like they are suppose to. All blizzard that I have thrown with no bubbles in the flight plate were all mega rollers and there was no point to any of them, even the blizzards in the high 150's with no bubbles in the flight plate were junk. Buy blizzard in person and choose what you like.

I have one with only rim bubbles and it flies great! Its a 155 Boss. The guys in my local league have all switched to Blizzard. And its always windy here. They all throw backhand. Mine is a good disc for learning backhand, but its a bit flippy forehand.

I have one with only rim bubbles and it flies great! Its a 155 Boss. The guys in my local league have all switched to Blizzard. And its always windy here. They all throw backhand. Mine is a good disc for learning backhand, but its a bit flippy forehand.

A putter would be a better choice for learning backhand.

Anywho, I prefer the fuzzy rimmed blizzards. And 145 +, But that's just a preference on how they feel in my hand when I grip. The lighter ones feel like there's nothing there.

I have 2 blizzard discs both 154g a destroyer and a krait.
The destroyer is a very early run and with bubbles throughout the whole disc it also has a pop top dome. I have used it quite a bit and has it become my go to out in the open driver, it has been very durable and consistent.

The krait has bubbles only in the rim and is very flat, the top of the wing has bubbles popping through but it isn't rough, the bottom of the wing and the inner rim are very smooth and very shiny almost like they have been polished. The krait flys absolutely wonderful. I can only throw about 320ft and the krait is perfect for me. It has a very slight bit of turn up to about 150ft. It then straightens out and glides for another 100ft. then fades very slowly and softly for the rest of the flight. reminds me of a faster valk.

A putter would be a better choice for learning backhand.

Anywho, I prefer the fuzzy rimmed blizzards. And 145 +, But that's just a preference on how they feel in my hand when I grip. The lighter ones feel like there's nothing there.

Agreed. I should say I've been playing for 4 years so I've had some experience with BH but mostly FH. I prefer my roc and buzz for most of my learning. But what I meant to say was out of all my high speed drivers that I already have for FH the blizz boss is the only (maybe my wraith) that I can get to turn over just a bit, fly straight, and finish at least 300ft away.

The weird thing is, I can throw my buzz and roc real straight now. And like I said above some High speed drivers are coming along. BUT if I try and throw a putter more than 70ft it wobbles like crazy then flys uncontrollably right (RHBH)

I've got a 150 blizzard boss with bubbles through the whole thing and it is the most amazing disc I've ever thrown. It actually stays totally neutral for the first 75% of it's flight, and then comes in with a steady fade that is neither too strong or too shallow. My only problem is every time I lose it I have to look until I find it because I am afraid I will never be able to find another one that flies the same.

Also- I have many spots on the edges that the bubbles have broken but the disc still flies great.

my blizzard teedevil, 150g, flies insanely well. its pretty flat and has just the right amount of fade, ad guess what..the bubbles are only in the rim!!! i will admit that there is less room to mess up and have the disc recover for you because its weight is centered differently, but it has also extended my drives alot, and even flies great into light/moderate headwinds!!

Domey(pop-tops)=more friction=more stability and glide
Flat=less friction=more turning ability

Personal experience I haven't found stark similarities when judging by bubble plcement.
I for one have a flat 129g (paperplate) destro bubbles only in the rim but none broken through so far s I can tell.

Last edited: