• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Caddy Plus - A scorecard app for Windows 10 devices

Kreator

I know there isn't many Windows phone users out there, here goes nothing...

https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9NBLGGH6HN7F

I recently went through all the scorecard apps for Windows Phone and didn't find any to suit my needs. They were either crashing several times during a round, slow (bloated with unnecessary features), or just plain ugly to my eye at least. So how to solve this... by creating yet another scorecard app of course :)

This is a windows universal application so it works on all Windows 10 devices (phone, tablet, pc). I'm sure no-one is carrying their laptop during rounds, but a small tablet might be a possibility, in addition of phones of course. Main idea for this was to create an app that never crashes (fingers crossed) and is as easy to use as possible (least amount of "clicks" for each user operation). It also includes a GPS distance measurement feature so you don't need several apps during a round, when you manage to throw the 500 footer you can measure it right away. You can also export your scorecards as HTML-table, which can then be copied easily to Excel or published to web as-is

I hope someone finds this useful, all kinds of feedback is appreciated, both in here and via Store

I haven't had a chance to take it to the course yet; but a couple of minor things while setting it up.
On a Lumia 1520 running Win10:

When creating a new player or course entry, the button labeled "New" is confusing. I would just label it "Save" like you have when you do an update. I didn't want to hit "new" as I didn't want to create 2 entries, I hit the back button instead, thinking it might have autosaved and lost all my entries.

When entering in a new course, I was unable to see below hole 14 because of the onscreen keyboard (all other holes covered by keyboard), it would not autoscroll to show the next entry that didn't have focus. I had to dismiss the keyboard to select the next hidden hole to enter the info -> repeat. I ended up just starting with hole 18 and it would scroll up correctly.

No, defaulting for if there is only a single player and or course in the system, it still requires you to select the entries from the drop down box for editing or creating a new scorecard.

like I said minor stuff, it looks pretty solid. I'll update after I get a chance to use it.

When creating a new player or course entry, the button labeled "New" is confusing. I would just label it "Save" like you have when you do an update. I didn't want to hit "new" as I didn't want to create 2 entries, I hit the back button instead, thinking it might have autosaved and lost all my entries.

Didn't even think of that, I'll add it to my backlog so it will be changed to next version

When entering in a new course, I was unable to see below hole 14 because of the onscreen keyboard (all other holes covered by keyboard), it would not autoscroll to show the next entry that didn't have focus. I had to dismiss the keyboard to select the next hidden hole to enter the info -> repeat. I ended up just starting with hole 18 and it would scroll up correctly.

That one I have noticed also. I think it's a framework bug and can only be solved on OS-side. I'll take a look anyway if something can be done to it, not likely though...

No, defaulting for if there is only a single player and or course in the system, it still requires you to select the entries from the drop down box for editing or creating a new scorecard.

I'll add this to my backlog as well, seems like a good usability improvement.

New version 1.1.19.0 just passed certification, will be visible in Windows Store next day or so

Changes:
- Added ability to swipe between fairways during a play. This is optional and can be turned off in settings
- Added several popups to inform user about faulty input, e.g. when trying to start a round without selecting a course or players, or when trying to edit/delete a player or a course without first selecting the item
- If only one player or course exists, it doesn't have to be selected to be able to start a round

I also tried to fix the issue where keyboard covers the bottom 4-5 holes when entering fairway details, unfortunately I was not able to do that, at least not yet. I think this can only be solved by fixing the UI framework in the OS itself.

PS. There was also an issue with the first version I published, which prevented the app from showing in store search results, that is now fixed as well. App can now be found by it's name or by keywords like "frisbee", "disc golf", "scorecard" etc

I'm really happy to see this. I am still on an old Windows 8 phone, but plan on upgrading to the new 650 (unless T Mobile actually gets the 950 so I don't have to spend that much outright)

Thanks for putting this together.

New version (1.1.20.0) of Caddy Plus application is now available in Windows Store. For some reason the changelog did not make it through the publishing process, so here's what has changed:

- Based on user feedback, I added ability to export also single score cards, not just the entire score card history. Example attached as a screenshot of the htm-file
- Feedback-button fixed in app settings
- Fixed some character set issues in exported html-files
- Added round duration to exports
- Improved the logic how app handles cloud data changes if several instances of app are open and updating the data. There's still work to do in this area...

https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9NBLGGH6HN7F

Attachments

• exported_scorecard.png
    exported_scorecard.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 6
caddyplus2.png

New version available in Windows Store. Already received quite good amount of user feedback, pretty much all of those issues have been fixed in this version. Feedback is still more than welcome

1.1.22.0:
- Optimize landscape UI layout for smaller resolutions
- Change scorecards to use background color to visualize results better (also for for exports)
- Improve contrast of certain UI elements so those are better seen in direct sunlight
- Improve scorecard UI layout so it fits into screen better even with lower resolutions
- Fix sidepane bug when moving between landscape and portrait modes
- Add +-prefix for total scores in exports
- Fix a lot of UI problems if device is using text scaling larger than 120%
- Update sidepane icons to be a bit more informative

New version in the Windows Store again.

1.1.28.0:
- Add ability to share scorecards (email/OneNote), in addition to exporting them
- Courses can have GPS coordinates now, added by user when on location
- Course location can be shown on a map, or navigated to with Maps-application
- Overall UI enhancements, especially during a round and for course adding pages
- Use command bar for buttons instead of separate buttons in most of the UI, saves space for the actual content
- Change app main color to be darker to get better contrast on sunlight, especially with LCD displays
- Show course specific overall-PAR and total length in course editing UI and during rounds
- Add player amount and scorecard amount to page title
- Order players and courses alphabetically so they are easier to find when there's lots of data

Like many others, I got booted from Microsoft about 2 weeks ago when they decided to ramp down activities in Finland. I will naturally continue to support this application, but I'm thinking of moving to other platform on side. I took a look at what's the current offering for Android and I think there might be room for one more scorecard-app if it's done right with usability in mind