• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Changing disc line up

Very very rarely, and usually its something I know my primary go-to molds don't do already.

I started bagging a Whippet like a year ago cuz I thought it would be fun to throw, now its a go to. Before that I never used a brick tweener mid/fairway

I wanted to try a highspeed driver that was a bit more OS then most destroyers, so I tried an Xcal, now I bag 1 or 2 always. Before that it was just destroyers

I wanted to try the FD3 because I wanted something better for backhands then my go to Monster that was more workable then a Firebird and I like it. Before that I didn't really throw anything in the "control driver" slot. I don't really throw the FD3 much now either, but I do use it from time to time and am glad I have it when I need it.

The scale looked fun, so I tried it and fell in love. Before that I never bagged a OS putter.

There are a million great molds out there today. I could probably replace every slot in my bag with any one of 3 or 4 different options available these days. But I like what I like, and I'm not gullible enough to think that a different mold is going to unlock some hidden potential and make me play better.

I almost always learn something trying new discs. But I would say, if you are really confident with one mold, you might as well keep throwing it.

The core of my bag stays pretty much the same.
Areas that i tinker the most with are understable and overstable utility discs. Still haven´t quite found the molds i like the most, for these slots.

Problem is:
Whenever i am disappointed with the way i played, i feel the urge to test out new discs, which can get expansive after a while. I really tried to keep my bag the same for last weeks/months and started to focus more on the way i throw a disc, rather than what kind of disc i am throwing. I can´t just blame the discs for my mistakes.

I'm with a lot of folks on here. I do like to try new things, and when i feel a certain disc/slot in my bag is weak or untrustworthy I like to mix it up and try things out. After-all, a disc is only $15 and when I have league $ I kinda HAVE to buy discs...no complaints here.

-I have a core lineup now with certain discs That I know will not change. My Putters are pretty much set in stone now, i am too satisfied on how they fly and the availability of them that its not a problem keeping them as a staple.

-My midranges, I am very happy with, I am using Prodigy mids and finding M4,M3,M2's is very easy and the 400 and 750 plastics are great. There are a LOT of good midranges out there though, I still want to try a Truth, but I feel my mids will remain, they have been trusty...I also dropped a Drone for a Justice, and I love it, crazy OS tho, haha

-I recently mixed up my fairway drivers. I was using F7,F5,F3,F2's I just seemed to not get the flight and glide with HSS that I needed. Even the F2 when I powered it would flip slightly but ride toooo straight and not fade, OR it was underpowered and faded out toooo much, the F3 was slick but I think for the consistency and control I was looking for I needed a change. I recently picked up a Champ Teebird3 175g and it IS what I wanted my F2 to be, I can power it with confidence and it holds straight with a nice fade...love that disc. And I picked up a Rival and it is the best flight I have seen in a fairway driver, so straight, so controlled, you can manipulate the flight to hold slight anny, or a smooth hyzer. The Rival impressed me immensely. I still have the F7, it is a proto, with dome and 175g, it doesnt fly like any other F5 or F7 I have had, its perfect...I know i will not find a replacement for it as its a unique disc so when the time comes I'll go either Legacy Patriot or Innova Leopard. (I may try a Stag now too haha)

-Control drivers....these are set in stone...innova nailed this category for me. The combo of Roadrunner, Valk, ThunderB, Firebird, is the perfect slight change in stability where I always know what I can throw to get the job done. all same weight all same plastic, yeah i love these 4 and it isn't changing.

-Distance drivers...I'm open to new things, but right now I have a Mamba for US (175g star, it actually takes power to flip it!) and a couple of Pulses....the beat up old pulse I have has fit to be LASER straight, I also have 2 aces on it...so its staying around...and a new pulse that is heavier , higher PLH and newer so its much more OS. I may try a few discs in the speed 10-11 category for these replacements, but for now, i like my pulses a lot, we have history, plus Im in the medical field so the ECG QRS complex Pulse kinda fits, its sweet, great forehand disc too.

-Max Distance drivers: This has changed a bit since the beginning of spring. I was using Prodigy drivers, also experimented with a Bolt. I found the Bolt excellent for max D bombs with big lateral movement, but as a understable driver, it was a little unpredictable and most times TOO understable. I still like my D3 but it has been beat up a lot....D3 is still my favorite of Prodigy drivers.
I settled on KING for understable, WORLD for slight overstable, and Stiletto for OS. I tossed the Halo in there to fit between the King and World....it works, it actually fits the bill, but do I need it? not really. I could drop it and use the 3 and be fine, but when throwing UPHILL, the Halo allowed excellent max D, its turn is moderate at high speed but not as flippy as the king so it can get great uphill distance, plus I have the decodye and it looks too sweet to take out of the bag.

*****Short version, my bag changes from time to time, but I have a lot of staples that aren't leaving. ;)

The core of my bag stays pretty much the same.
Areas that i tinker the most with are understable and overstable utility discs. Still haven´t quite found the molds i like the most, for these slots.

Same here, spent most of the summer on the overstable utility disc search. Favorites are still the Banshee and Predator, but I keep puttering with other molds. To be honest, I don't know why I bother as I can go quite a few rounds without using either.

Settled on the Roadrunner for the understable spot

Same here, spent most of the summer on the overstable utility disc search. Favorites are still the Banshee and Predator, but I keep puttering with other molds. To be honest, I don't know why I bother as I can go quite a few rounds without using either.

Settled on the Roadrunner for the understable spot

Roadrunners RULE I converted a few buddies with it. Now we all pull out the RR for those left to Right anny lines on a drive 250-320 . Great disc. 172-175g is where its at :thmbup:

I tinker a bit but don't change that often anymore. I went through the "holy **** are there a ton of molds, let me try them" phase a few years ago and have settled in.

Multiples of the Pure, Comet, Buzzz, Patriot, Teebird, Valkryie, Firebird and Destroyer have been in my bag for awhile. When I pare down my bag for travel or glow rounds, these are the ones that I carry (along with an Envy). The additional discs in my bag (and the ones that change) are compliments to those discs which have similar feels but different stabilities. The way my Envy and Zone feel similar to my Pure. Terns and XCals are similar to Destoyer in feel but fly differently. Most of my changes anymore are switching backups in and out of lineup so I have near identical backups.

The first three years I played nothing in the bag was safe. I constantly tried out other discs in hopes of building a bag that could cover any shot. The result was a bit of a mess: too many molds and not enough familiarity with each disc. After this trial period, it was all about finding overlap and getting rid of the molds that didn't work out. I did end up getting rid of some great plastic, but it was for the better.

I haven't changed much of my lineup for the last couple years. The only things I have added have been new plastics, mold variations, and (for fun) some Superclass discs. The new plastics have mostly been the softer and more flexible blends: Innova's G*, Discraft's FLX, and Gateway's RFF. These have helped out with placement shots and feel a bit better in cold weather. Innova's new molds have found their way into the bag: notably the Shark3 and Teebird3. The extra bit of speed is nice to have. Finally, my love for Ultimate Frisbee is what drove me to try out the Zephyr and Condor. While I don't use these discs often, they are a ton of fun to throw!

Latest posts