• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

closest thing to a sidewinder

Seems like a lot of possibilities out there. For me personally, I can't really imagine my game without my Star Sidewinder... especially because of that understability, but I have moments where I think there has to be something out there that's really similar but just a hair more stable that I'd enjoy more.

I've thrown very few of the discs that people have mentioned as replacements thus far, but I can tell you that (for me, at least) the Avenger SS is not a valid replacement. I don't like it nearly as much.

I have really been wanting to try an Underworld, though, so maybe I'll do that.

Seems like a lot of possibilities out there. For me personally, I can't really imagine my game without my Star Sidewinder... especially because of that understability, but I have moments where I think there has to be something out there that's really similar but just a hair more stable that I'd enjoy more.

I've thrown very few of the discs that people have mentioned as replacements thus far, but I can tell you that (for me, at least) the Avenger SS is not a valid replacement. I don't like it nearly as much.

I have really been wanting to try an Underworld, though, so maybe I'll do that.

The Millenium OLS isn't often talked about but it's a great disc and I believe it would give you the flight you're looking for. If you don't mind dropping down in speed the Latitude 64 River is a nice understable flyer with sick glide and its sneaky long for a fairway driver.

I really want to try the underworld that's like they said above some speeds can go further depending on some arms

when going through this thread, I saw some of the suggestions, and partially agreed and then saw some others and decided I want to try some new stuff. I love a fresh star sidewinder as well as a beat one. Today I tried an Amp, and it flew like a sidewinder does right in that transition period to the beat stage. Very nice. It was a good bit faster though, and hung right a little longer and faded a tad harder, but still pretty close.

The Underworld, for me, is even more understable than the Sidewinder. I have a 175 TP Underworld and the adjective "flippy" isn't nearly enough to describe the amount of turn in this bad boy. I've only ever thrown Champ Sidewinders and, while I think the flight ratings from Innova were pretty accurate, it's not the flip monster that the Underworld is for me.

But, the Underworld just has so much more glide. I would think that the distance potential on it because of that factor alone makes it better than the Sidewinder. Plus, the Underworld makes for a great roller...like Condor great.

The Millenium OLS isn't often talked about but it's a great disc and I believe it would give you the flight you're looking for. If you don't mind dropping down in speed the Latitude 64 River is a nice understable flyer with sick glide and its sneaky long for a fairway driver.

Thanks for the info! I'm not really familiar with either company since I've only ever thrown one disc from each of them. I'll keep my eyes open for either one. I've had my eye on the River ever since I joined the forums based on how much everyone tends to rave about 'em. I would love to find something sidewinder-esque.

went and got a 172 champe tye dye sidewinder(red white and blue) and i must say i am impressed not too flippy not too overstable

Latest posts