• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Thick Fairway Driver Similar to the Stag

dwalk77

Par Member
Even though the Westside Stag has flight numbers of 8/6/-1/2, I find it to be more understable than that. Especially after being beat in a little, I find it to be more like 8/6/-2/1. Something I can hyzer flip or get to turn fairly easily if thrown flat.

The thing I like about the Stag is how full it feels in my hand. I have big hands/long fingers. A lot of the popular shapeable fairway discs such as the FD or Leopard3 feel uncomfortably shallow in my hand. The Stag has more rim thickness, depth, and height than them.

Has anybody else had this experience or have any recommendations?
Nothing wrong with the Stag, but I like to experiment with new discs from time to time, and I hate to rely on one mold for an important slot like this in my game.
Thanks!

May be fairly similar in stability to the stag but the Chameleon is known as the #ChunkyDriver for a reason. It has a 2.0 rim (10 speed) but is taller and behaves more like an 8 or 9. Tarpit is borderline OS, but is base plastic and breaks in some. Keeps its fade a good while. Nylon Armor is the next most stable. Then Armor. Amber being the flippest. Great feeling disc that covers a ton of shot shapes with just one disc.

Staying in the Trilogy family the Westside Bear is the natural step up in stability from the Stag. I enjoyed the bear and found a lot of use out of it, but never really liked the plastic.

I don't know about the flight numbers but the vandal is a tall rim flippy fairway and feels really good in hand.

Using Infinite Discs' advanced search I punched in the specs for the Stag rim width & depth and came up with these other molds:
Westside Bear
MVP Terra
Finish Line Torque
Prodigy FX-3
Lone Star Mad Cat

If you are looking for similar rim depth discs in wider/narrower rim width (speed) then you can change the search around.
From my experience, EXP/Eagle/Banshee all feel a bit deeper in the premium plastics vs. the FD/Leo3. I do think the Bear is intended to complement the Stag.

Comparing dimensions, i would say the cosmic from alpha discs is quite similar to the stag. It's an 8|6|0|2.

IME with the Stag, it has a good bit of turn and a good bit of fade which puts it on the Eagle spectrum instead of the T-Bird straight to mild fade spectrum.

I might look at Velas (nice and thick) or less stable Eagle runs than the Barsbys and Halos going around.

May be fairly similar in stability to the stag but the Chameleon is known as the #ChunkyDriver for a reason. It has a 2.0 rim (10 speed) but is taller and behaves more like an 8 or 9. Tarpit is borderline OS, but is base plastic and breaks in some. Keeps its fade a good while. Nylon Armor is the next most stable. Then Armor. Amber being the flippest. Great feeling disc that covers a ton of shot shapes with just one disc.

Staying in the Trilogy family the Westside Bear is the natural step up in stability from the Stag. I enjoyed the bear and found a lot of use out of it, but never really liked the plastic.
Came here to say that. That's a perfect selection if you like a chunky driver. They fly really well too.

If you want to stay in the Trilogy family and don't like the feel of the Bear, test the feel of the Saint Pro. Straight to overstable late flight 8 speed. And you can up the stability by going to Orbit and Ice plastics.

As suggested above the Lone Star Discs Mad Cat (9 4 0 2) and the Lone Star Discs Wrangler (9 5 -1 2) both fill the hand and have a more overstable flight than the Stag in my experience. The Wrangler has noticeably more glide and stays straighter longer before a good solid fade, whereas the Mad Cat is more like a Thunderbird in flight, especially as it beats in.

I throw the Stag a lot and can help. If you want a more overstable Stag, you can get the Stag-X. Going more overstable than that I find the Bear (stock VIP run) is a wonderful disc. Feels just like a Stag too. Be careful, the first run VIP-Ice Bears are a lot flatter and more overstable.

Underworld / Hatchet / Maul / Stag / Stag-X / Bear / Ahti is a great line up for me. (58 years old, 300' thrower)

Latest posts