• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Colossus

This one is "easy to handle" though. I dunno how a disc one speed class higher than the ol' Boss could possibly fit that description.

"Easy to handle" right sounds like marketing hype to me. I'm guessing the market for these new discs are only geared toward the advanced/Pro level players. This comes across as a disc for players with big arms and near prefect from. Also I find it a bit discouraging toward women. For a sport that is trying get more women involved you are not going to find many of them able to throw a speed 12,13 or 14 overstable drivers (Unless they are a top pro).

They pretty much have the whole line up filled from 1-13. As a business decision, 14 speed makes sence.

Dammit, why can't Innova just come out with a production Tern-x mold? This does sound intriguing if it's a shallow rim such as the tern but still not a fan of speed 13+ rims.

-2 turn is overstable?

I would not call a -2 overstable. I thought it was a 0 for the turn. Sorry I stand corrected.

I consider any disc that is a -1 to a +1 a stable to overstable disc. With that in mind just looking at Innova's line up they offer 47 discs that fit into this stability range. 16 drivers 12 fairway drivers and 19 mid range discs. As for the understable -2 and less there are 25 discs offered. 14 drivers and only 4 fairway drivers and 7 mid range discs. Now I think if one looks at fairway offering with only 4 understable vs 12 stable to overstable discs. This fairway slot is for the slower arm speeds. This is a good speed for these player types recreational, newer players, women, teens and younger and also the older players say age 40 and above. What I see is a very limited disc offering for the average recreational disc golfer. And its not just Innova I see it with the other manufacturers. Most discs are marked for that late teenage to 25 year old male demographic. The market is reflected in disc offerings from the manufacturers. If the manufacturers knew it was going to be a hard sell they would not make it. The manufacturers seem to think we are all pro level players or something.

Last edited:
"Most discs are marked for that late teenage to 25 year old male demographic"

Maybe they think this demographic loses more discs? Us addicts will buy them to try it out, then either sell it or into the closet it goes. A teen using his parents money won't spend 40 minutes digging through thorns to find a lost disc....I would :)

Dammit, why can't Innova just come out with a production Tern-x mold? This does sound intriguing if it's a shallow rim such as the tern but still not a fan of speed 13+ rims.

I'm with you. A more stable tern would be pretty cool.

They pretty much have the whole line up filled from 1-13. As a business decision, 14 speed makes sence.

Agreed. Innova is not in the Speed-14 space and this is their first entry into that range. I'm not sure which pros use the Boss, but perhaps the strongest young pros can pick up and use this disc effectively. Neither my noodle arm nor the rest of me intends to get anywhere near this...

I would not call a -2 overstable. I thought it was a 0 for the turn. Sorry I stand corrected.

I consider any disc that is a -1 to a +1 a stable to overstable disc. With that in mind just looking at Innova's line up they offer 47 discs that fit into this stability range. 16 drivers 12 fairway drivers and 19 mid range discs. As for the understable -2 and less there are 25 discs offered. 14 drivers and only 4 fairway drivers and 7 mid range discs. Now I think if one looks at fairway offering with only 4 understable vs 12 stable to overstable discs. This fairway slot is for the slower arm speeds. This is a good speed for these player types recreational, newer players, women, teens and younger and also the older players say age 40 and above. What I see is a very limited disc offering for the average recreational disc golfer. And its not just Innova I see it with the other manufacturers. Most discs are marked for that late teenage to 25 year old male demographic. The market is reflected in disc offerings from the manufacturers. If the manufacturers knew it was going to be a hard sell they would not make it. The manufacturers seem to think we are all pro level players or something.

You mean a turn of -1 to +1? The differences across just that range are huge... Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're saying...

You mean a turn of -1 to +1? The differences across just that range are huge... Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're saying...

Yes that is what I mean a turn from -1 to a +1. Most of these discs above about speed 7 will hook over hard and not fly very far if not thrown fast enough. I am by all means not saying that there is no need for such discs in this stability range. Its just that the market is pretty much flooded with them. But what is more is there is a trend in the market of discs of high speed 11+ with stability rangers of -1 to 0. Discs in this range are pretty much for the only the best/top players in the sport. And yes I know these discs sell but I think most people that buy them will not be able to throw them for what they are designed for.

So like a Teedevil? Or a Destroyer? Or a glow Tern? Because they make those.

Never touched a teedevil

Destroyer rim feels different for my small hands

Glow terns are all over the place. They are more stable if they have dome but I've had some the flip as bad as stars.

What else ya got dog?

Latest posts