• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Time for a new Beast thread

I have gotten 3 beasts from GGGT in the last 2 years. My first was in DX as a trial and I liked it a lot. It was the L mold. Then I got 2 earlier this year: One backup DX that is the X mold, and one Gstar that is an L mold. I recall seeing a number of X mold 2 years ago when I was there, but inventory was transitioning back to mostly L mold, at least that was the case for DX and Gstar at GGGT.

Very impressed with the disc though! I have not noticed much difference between the DX beast X vs L personally. Both just like to fly and are fun to throw.

I have gotten 3 beasts from GGGT in the last 2 years. My first was in DX as a trial and I liked it a lot. It was the L mold. Then I got 2 earlier this year: One backup DX that is the X mold, and one Gstar that is an L mold. I recall seeing a number of X mold 2 years ago when I was there, but inventory was transitioning back to mostly L mold, at least that was the case for DX and Gstar at GGGT.

Very impressed with the disc though! I have not noticed much difference between the DX beast X vs L personally. Both just like to fly and are fun to throw.
DX and similar Baseline tends to be a good plastic where something as subtle as an X or L mold will not change a disc flight as bad as say in Champion, Star, G-Star.

I guess I'll discuss the Beast here briefly. Threw one today for the first time in at least 10 years. Halo Beast. X mold. Honestly, the fact that this disc was X mold was the only reason I threw it. I hate the Beast L mold, which is why I haven't touched the Beast in years.

173-5g. Nice dome. Definitely not flat.

I'll call the halo Beast (X) decent, but somewhat unremarkable. It wasn't as flippy as I was expecting. Thrown hyzer it didn't want to pop up or turn. I really had to put some arm into this disc to keep it flat or get any turn at all. I was looking for a bit of a hyzer flip disc that would turn and glide for a while, but the halo Beast wasn't it.

Once I figured out the Beast I had some good throws with it, but nothing about it super impressed me. Honestly, it flew like an Orc. Head to head against an Anax the Anax beat it hands down in terms of distance and workability. Top distance was perhaps 400'. IDK, this just wasn't like the Beasts I remembered from years ago. No real turn, and the glide wasn't that great.

Halo Beast X- 10, 4, -1, 3. Those are exact Orc numbers, and that's what the halo Beast flew like. It's a serviceable driver, but did absolutely nothing to distinguish itself.

Last edited:
Gross, it's non gyro and now it's a permanent x rim? Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I have past love for the L beast (i didnt know there was x's until now) Especially in star. Had an old guy kick my ass with a champ one first time I played a long course. Had to get one, got one right away as a tourney prize in Nanaimo.. my buddy is still throwing it as his main disc (and putter haha) 15yrs later.

Hey it's the real mccoy haven't seen you in a bit, but you don't usually slum with any disc that's at least a 9.5

I guess I'll discuss the Beast here briefly. Threw one today for the first time in at least 10 years. Halo Beast. X mold. Honestly, the fact that this disc was X mold was the only reason I threw it. I hate the Beast L mold, which is why I haven't touched the Beast in years.

I'll call the halo Beast (X) decent, but somewhat unremarkable. It wasn't as flippy as I was expecting. Thrown hyzer it didn't want to pop up or turn. I really had to put some arm into this disc to keep it flat or get any turn at all. I was looking for a bit of a hyzer flip disc that would turn and glide for a while, but the halo Beast wasn't it.

Once I figured out the Beast I had some good throws with it, but nothing about it super impressed me. Honestly, it flew like an Orc. Head to head against an Anax the Anax beat it hands down in terms of distance and workability. Top distance was perhaps 400'. IDK, this just wasn't like the Beasts I remembered from years ago. No real turn, and the glide wasn't that great.

Halo Beast X- 10, 4, -1, 3. Those are exact Orc numbers, and that's what the halo Beast flew like. It's a serviceable driver, but did absolutely nothing to distinguish itself.
i had similar experiences with it

nothing wrong with it but it doesnt stand out

it gets lost in the shuffle

i used to commonly find (at courses) dx l molds all the time years back

now i dont mind when i stumble upon the dx x molds

Hey it's the real mccoy haven't seen you in a bit, but you don't usually slum with any disc that's at least a 9.5
TeeDub's getting older like we all are, probably time for him to disc down a bit. Hell, he might even throw a mid some day.

And if one were to actually bag it and season it in for a year or two, it would become a 10 5 -2 2 flier with glide, turn and fade. TBH, I think one of the best things about the Halo plastic is that your almost guaranteed to get a disc that is at least as stable as the flight numbers claim to be. We all remember the days (and they're still here) of buying a star plastic Destroyer or Wraith and not being really sure if it's going to be a 11/12 5 -1 3 flier, usually that was a best case scenario in terms of stability and 1/3 of the time you'd get a disc that would fly a little less stable than that.

Me personally I like getting my money's worth especially if I'm dropping over 20 bucks on a disc, at least with this Halo stuff I can count on a disc that will give me at least the stability that the flight numbers claim (often more).

Last edited:
I'm guessing that was a pretty new 175 Halo Beast? If so, it doesn't sound so bad to start out Orc-ish. I feel like the wing shape on the beast has to provide a more gradual seasoning process.

Or a 150 gram Valkyrie/Dragon, for some like me. Already use a Dragon but more like a max distance driver in tailwind open bomber throws and water shots as well as for backup F2 DX Valkyrie 143 and 145 gram for same throws.
i bet a 150 valk would straight crush and be over stable enough to come back

I think the Beast was my first driver although that particular disc didn't last long. No idea if it was x or l. Pretty quickly I started trying/acquiring more discs and didn't go back to the beast.

A couple of years ago I found a thrashed dx beast and put it in the bag with my kids in mind. I ended up using that disc frequently because I didn't have anything else that would flip to that degree. Great for standstill, partially obstructed, recovery shots where I needed to cover some distance. Ended up pulling it out way too much to try low %, hero shots. Great when it worked, but the majority of throws didn't turn out as intended. Ended up sending it to a watery grave in the fall. I'll probably replace it with a more stable driver mold (in thrashed dx, of course) and we'll see if I learn anything.

And if one were to actually bag it and season it in for a year or two, it would become a 10 5 -2 2 flier with glide, turn and fade. TBH, I think one of the best things about the Halo plastic is that your almost guaranteed to get a disc that is at least as stable as the flight numbers claim go be. We all remember the days (and they're still here) of buying a star plastic Destroyer or Wraith and not being really sure if it's going to be a 11/12 5 -1 3 flier, usually that was a best case scenario in terms of stability and 1/3 of the time you'd get a disc that would fly a little less stable than that.

Me personally I like getting my money's worth especially if I'm dropping over 20 bucks on a disc, at least with this Halo stuff I can count on a disc that will give me at least the stability that the flight numbers claim (often more).

I agree. I do like halo plastic a lot. It wasn't that there was anything WRONG with the halo Beast, but I guess it just wasn't what I was expecting. All the Beasts I threw years ago were noticeably flippier and had more glide.

FWIW, I think Gurthie halo Wraiths are some of the best Wraiths Innova has ever made. The plastic is really nice, and the discs have great flight qualities. You know they aren't going to beat in fast and become junk either.

Back when Beasts came out(2003,2004) I was maxing out with them at about 350'.
A little turn, a little fade.
I didn't like the L mold.
When the X mold came back a few years ago it felt slow and more stable...

I was a fan of the L mold. However, the X is superior, especially in Champion. The champ beast x was the first disc I ever tossed (and only) over 500'. Those were the days.

Beast is a 10, 5, -2, 2.
Why are you throwing a max weight Beast?

Latest posts