• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

CT/NY weekend trip

solomon.trenton

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Friday April 23rd
St. Paul's Collegiate Park DGC Storrs, CT
Fairfield University Fairfield, CT
Panthorn Park Southington, CT
Wickham Park Manchester, CT
UConn DGC Storrs, CT
Cross Farms Tolland, CT

Saturday April 24th
Waveny Park DGC New Canaan, CT
Leonard Park Mt. Kisco, NY
FDR State Park Yorktown Heights, NY

Sunday April 25th
Cranbury Park Norwalk, CT

I will be driving down from MA and spending Friday and Saturday night at my aunt's house in Norwalk. Any course i cant squezze in Friday will hopefully be done on the ride home Sunday. Are there any suggestions that I add/drop from the list

For Friday, if any of those other courses are marked as "Must Plays" (such as Wickham) you might want to reconsider Panthorn. I just played it (and reviewed it) Friday and it was a total mess. It's fun, but it's really, really swampy.

For Friday, if any of those other courses are marked as "Must Plays" (such as Wickham) you might want to reconsider Panthorn. I just played it (and reviewed it) Friday and it was a total mess. It's fun, but it's really, really swampy.

ok, thanks. i think i will move panthorn to the ride back

Thoughts (I'm a course whore and have played most of these and live in CT):

St Paul's got some pretty bad reviews... if you have time and are a hardcore reviewer, sure, but I don't even know of anyone locally who plays it. Stop by if you must get it in your 'played' list.

Fairfield U is cool, but the layout is a MESS right now... unplayable without a good map (i don't know of one), a few baskets missing... I live 20 minutes away and rarely go. During school hours you might have to wait for some students to pass through the fairways... not a bad thing sometimes....

If it rains, yeah... don't play Panthorn. Not a springtime course. It's a tough course with nice tees and baskets etc... but SOOO swampy and buggy when wet. :( If it hasn't rained for a week, maybe check it out.

Wickham: MUST play. Pay to play, some new basket locations, but yeah pretty sick.

UCONN is an object course in the heart of the campus; might be frustrating without a local player or while class is in session. Again, don't know of anyone who plays there.

Cross Farms: Really cool, tight wooded course. no major elevation but some cool hole designs, check it out.

Waveny: Very nice course, 3 tees every hole, 12 holes in the woods. natural tees but well kept up, I really like this course.

Leonard Park: Classic course, must play. natty tees, some ragged baskets, but a piece of DG history. one of the oldest courses in the country, and still relevant.

FDR: I reeaally like this course, some reviews say the front nine is top 10 and the back nine falls off, but I think it's pretty well balanced. Highly recommended. Might be busy.

Cranbury: MUST play. beautiful, challenging, perfect tees and facilities, a few too many dog walkers but top notch.

Courses to ad/consider:

Page Park, Bristol CT: skip Panthorn and go here, especially if it's wet out. It's 9 holes in the woods, but there's another 9 going in later this summer. Original nine is fun and tight, lots of elevation, new holes (not sure if they're marked) are more open and include a pond.

High Plains, Orange CT: 25 minutes from norwalk, I'm biased because i put this course in, but come by and check it out. 9 holes, big elevation and woods, DISCatchers. I'll be around this weekend, shoot me a PM!

Courses to ad/consider:

Page Park, Bristol CT: skip Panthorn and go here, especially if it's wet out. It's 9 holes in the woods, but there's another 9 going in later this summer. Original nine is fun and tight, lots of elevation, new holes (not sure if they're marked) are more open and include a pond.

I played this one last weekend and it's not bad. I talked to the designer a bit this week and it sounds like the expanded 18-hole course is going to be an area gem by the time it's done.

Agreed, Page park has plans for paver tees, 18 holes including a pond hole or two, it's gonna be really nice.

interested how this trip went? I did this last June/july, and really loved it. Might be doing another trip this year and will pick up the couple new courses in CT and a bunch in MA.

yeah Solomon how was it....hope the rain didnt stop you..I am looking forward to your thoughts on FDR Cranbury Wickham and Leonard in particular.

interested how this trip went? I did this last June/july, and really loved it. Might be doing another trip this year and will pick up the couple new courses in CT and a bunch in MA.
make sure to look me up and maybe we can play a few
yeah Solomon how was it....hope the rain didnt stop you..I am looking forward to your thoughts on FDR Cranbury Wickham and Leonard in particular.

1 cranbury
2 wickham
3 fdr
4 leonard
reviews shall be up in the next few days

Be gentle on Leonard....lol...I had some locals show me the way I am sure without them Id have had a far inferior experience.

i had one show me the last three holes. i understand its been around for a while, but i mean its in bad shape. im not sure if they are recovering from the winter still or the locals dont care that much but iti s in super rough shape