• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Daredevil Ogopogo

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
You mean to tell me there is a disc called an Ogopogo? I don't even know what the hell that is. I might seriously have to create an unpronounceable bag. I wonder if the Ogopogo would complement a Kastaplast Rask?

daredevil timberwolf is awesome actually. heard great things about the beaver.

ogopogo is a mythical lake monster said to live in some lake in the Okanagan region of BC Canada. near Kelowna I think. they have a DG tourney named after him, the Ogopogo open.

I have used the Ogopogo and it is like a floppy firebird. It is a little less overstable than the firebird but close. Extremely floppy like a vibram soft rubber. It will almost never skip. Fun disc and great in the rain or cold. I tried a prototype of this disc so it may have changed a bit.

The Polar Bear is becoming very popular here as well. Really good straight putter that you can get in the same very soft rubber.

You mean to tell me there is a disc called an Ogopogo? I don't even know what the hell that is. I might seriously have to create an unpronounceable bag. I wonder if the Ogopogo would complement a Kastaplast Rask?

Include those prodiscus ones with the mysterious i at the end.

So during the COVID-19 break from life, I have been reading a lot of older posts, and one thing that interested me was the "is there a need for an OS midrange" topic, because I also wondered the same thing.

Until this morning, I thought I needed an OS midrange, whether it was my current MVP Deflector, last summer's bag's Discraft Drone, last spring's Dynamic Discs Verdict, the previous year's Discraft Hornet, etc.

But the more I thought about it, I wondered, "when would I use the OS mid?" and realized it's a very narrow selection where I need a tad more distance than a Discraft Zone and don't want to throw a mammoth or an undertaker.

And then it hit me... the Ogopogo. I've had one for a while, but saved it for hard fading hillside approaches where I worried my mammoth might roll away, but the Ogopogo has some great qualities that makes it a useful OS mid (even though it's a "speed 9" fairway):

The Ogopogo is constructed of elastic performance plastic like the woodchuck or walrus and the disc doesn't take too well to full power throws compared to other plastic variants of this mold (such as the mammoth, sabertooth, and buffalo, though from experience, I can only speak for the mammoth). As a result, you're getting your best throws from a 3/4 power throw with the Ogopogo, and it shines at that. An 80% Ogopogo
The next issue that the Ogopogo addresses which is a concern for those who swear by OS mids: the skip
I used to use my deflector (or verdict or drone) when I didn't want the disc to skip as much as it might with an OS fairway. But the Ogopogo kills the skip altogether... you can throw a massive spike hyzer onto a concrete parking lot and have it stick the landing as if you were throwing into wet mud.
The only drawback I have with any of the elastic performance discs is with trees and the Ogopogo is no exception. The slightest twig that interferes with the flight causes profound braking effects. That said, I'm rarely reaching for my OS mid if I'm throwing through a lot of branches.
All things considered, the Ogopogo is way more useful to me now than I ever imagined. And it has a great name.

Dare I say that I'm seriously considering un-bagging my zone because of this disc.
It's way more os than my zone and can handle low speed flex shots around trees... And unlike other discs that can fly that way, the ogopogo will stick the landing. Now that I have a buzzz os (it's kind of nice to have if you throw buzzzes), I rarely throw my zone, because the buzzz os and ogopogo give me more options. I'm finding the ogopogo so natural to toss in this spot that I'm even throwing many approaches with it that I'd typically not think twice about with my ringer gt...

Latest posts