• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG on ESPN... getting closer.

I have Comcast and tried to find Disc Golf Monthly on OnDemand will no luck. Can you tell me how you looked it up? TIA

On my Comcast, I find it under Get Local-->Sports-->More Sports.

Good luck!

Didn't even realize where the course in the video was but thought that I recognized Wickham Hole #6 when Feldberg was driving at 2:10 into the video. Please tell me that I'm right, NE regulars. I only played the course once. :)

And yes, very nice video.

Didn't even realize where the course in the video was but thought that I recognized Wickham Hole #6 when Feldberg was driving at 2:10 into the video. Please tell me that I'm right, NE regulars. I only played the course once. :)

And yes, very nice video.

You are correct. Wickham Park during the Greater Hartford disc golf Open A-tier in August.

Hard to imagine DG really taking off because a tournament or a 1 minute promo is shown on ESPN -- ultimate made it on ESPN 2 or 3 or college or deportes a few months back and the general population still doesn't care. Maybe, like the UFC, if someone puts together a real slick reality show, non-DG people may pay attention. Then again, DG has been around for a long, long time and maybe -- like lacrosse, handball, field hockey, etc. -- you either get it or you don't.

Broadcasting

ESPN and or FUSE is a good place to reach a younger audience. And that is how you start a revolution to the sport, just as skateboarding did. It took a few down years to get going but thanks to the xgames skateboarding and snowboarding are legitimate alternate sports.

Personally, I'm not concerned about dg being the biggest thing since sliced bread. I would just like to get some ESPN quality footage of major events. Lacrosse was mentioned earlier. And maybe field hockey, too. You don't see them on TV a lot, but there's at least the occasional bone thrown out for fans.

Yes, lcgm8 (in Europe) does a great job with youtube videos. And there are more quality videos popping up stateside all of the time. But you know how the Goodyear Blimp can track a golf ball off of the tee? Or how you can get a super slow-mo of a batter's swing? That's what I want to see done for disc golf.

Thanks for posting that here Aubin, glad Joe finally "went public" with that video. Great to see our course in the national light and it really is a kick azz vid. I've sent it to just about everyone I know. There is a lot more footage than that that I have seen as well. From what I hear ESPN is seriously considering airing future footage. Big props to Joe C. for pushing this and getting his espn crew there to film.

I know it has already been said, but :D
More players-->crowded courses-->more courses!

I love my Monarch!!
I love my monarch, too! It is a disc that I don't at all miss when loaning it to big-armed occasional player friends! :p
Regarding the Golf Channel, here's another perspective. In our small town, the DG course construction was funded by the Kiwanis Foundation. Most of their members are older guys who want to encourage positive community things for families and kids. So there could be good value in promoting DG to that older crowd. If the seniors see DG as a good thing, they might help fund and provide community service to get more public DG courses built.

Also, I didn't take up DG until age 46 - this summer. There could be Golf viewers of a certain age who might take up DG, especially if their income goes down. Ball golf is an expensive hobby!
Yep, where I'm at, too! Though a year older...but don't tell the single thirty somethings that!;)

Any of you folks have public/community access TV in town? If so, I'd be happy to set you up with copies of Disc Golf Live video magazine at no cost, DVDs which can be provided to your station for local broadcast. DGL covers all sorts of DG topics from tourneys to player profiles and course tours. We welcome your video contributions as well, so if you want to tell a story to folks across the country, get started editing up your tale. DGL plays on stations large and small, from little towns in Maine and Cali to larger stations such as the University of North Carolina station serving Charlotte. Some stations are county-wide, covering up to 10 counties. Not ESPN, but an important step in growing public awareness of DG and bringing the joys of our game to more folks than ever before.

Joe

Thanks for the note, MCW. Expect those DVDs around the end of the month.

Your station is new to public access, was only gov't access until recently from what I can tell. Fears of nude bowling shows and other threats haven't materialized, at least. Should be a great way to let folks in the area know about disc golf, thanks for helping out.

Joe