• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Selection ?.

jared07

Im a RH i guess sidearm thrower and need some help on picking some discs that will help my game out. I have shoulder issues, so i cant really throw like most people, so this becomes an issue, especially when putting...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jared

For a FH throw...
Star TeeBird - Fairway Driver (For arm issues I recommend 155g - 165g)

If you are having trouble throwing a backhand putt, then you might try out the lefthanded backhand.

Sure it would take some time, but in a few months you would save your arm and be able to putt lefty! Balance is also cool.

Putting forehand is more than tough, that is why I recommend developing your other arm. No reason to develop long term issues with your already bum arm.

I'm RHFH and recently started teeing with a Valk, and im seing some very good gains from it

For a BH (RHBH for that matter) I started out using the valkryie, beast and worked in to a wraith (I found the valk and wraith to have a perfectly straight glide for me). Now I typically use the groove and wraith.

If you're trying to get in a BH putt I lean towards an Innova Birdie. I like its lofty glide (except in to a headwind), and minimal drift. My other would be a Discraft Challenger.

For my FH throws I chose a Beast and Banshee to learn on. Lately I have only been using the Discraft Flick (this disc can turn any wobbly FH in to a decent looking FH). This is a go to disc for me now. I found that if I need a lot of flare at the end of my flight (to go even further one direction or the other) I use an Innova Star SL, for some reason, with a ton of spin, it can flare 20-30 feet further than all my other discs.

i really like the valk, but lost my favorite one in the drink yesterday...

also any suggestions for windy situations, it gets pretty rough up here on the plains

You can also never go wrong with a Roc.

http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/proroc.html

I think this is the only time you can go wrong with a Roc. A Roc is hard to throw FH- the rim is too deep so your fingers get caught- sort of the FH version of grip lock.

I agree completely with the Teebird, Banshee, Beast, and Flick. The Banshee and Flick may be too stable for a beginner though.

For windy hills (that's what I call the campus course here too), I use a Champion Teebird. It seems to sit down well for me.

Like the post above mentioned, get some heavier discs for the headwinds, and keep your arm level.

I think this is the only time you can go wrong with a Roc. A Roc is hard to throw FH- the rim is too deep so your fingers get caught- sort of the FH version of grip lock.

I agree completely with the Teebird, Banshee, Beast, and Flick. The Banshee and Flick may be too stable for a beginner though.

True, I didn't make myself clear. Get a rock for that lefty BH. Don't attempt the FH.

Jared- as a far as your shoulder goes, learn to get a really good snap from your wrist- similar to raquetball. I can throw about 250 with just a flick of my wrist and forearm. Not great D, but enough to keep you competitive on courses that favor accuracy and consistency over big D.

Also, I would recommend a champion rhyno for anything from 30-150 ft. The stiffness makes is easier to FH than the pro, and also tends to lead to less grip lock.

Latest posts