• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Disc tech in 2018

Well that just goes to show what I know.

I could get on board with max 2.0 rim easily. A S-line CD2 is just as long as anything else I throw.

I'd prefer 1.9cm just to eliminate anything over speed 9. My lineup would be something like this Champ FB, S-PD/Koling/Star/Champ Thunderbird, S-CD2, Champ Sidewinder, Champ/Star Roadrunner for distance, Champ TeeBird, Star TeeBird, S-FD, Pro Leo, for fairways, Gator, Taurus/RocX3, Champ Roc3, McPro Roc3/KC Pro Roc, DX Roc3/DX Roc, Z Comet, X Comet, for Mids, and my usual assortment of Rhynos maybe with a Stego for putters.

MJ has the 9th highest rating currently; Eagle, the 11th. So you would make MJ throw a smaller rimmed disc than Eagle? The smallest arm that tours as opposed to the second biggest arm on tour. Think about it.

i was going with the assumption that better players throw farther. i dont fantisize about these type of things. yes, that was the idea.

i dont even watch the pros hahahaha

we're right around the decade mark for when the rim width was capped. Dave_D was the largest proponent for it and repeatedly said he thought the destroyer was a bad idea for the sport.

think they killed off the wheel and turbo putter around the same time.

True about the golf ball. I've always wondered if there should be one official golf ball; IOW every pro would have to play with the same brand of ball. That won't be accepted for obvious reasons, but it would solve some of the problems.

DG seems to be maxing out on drivers, so IMHO it's not the same issue or as bad an issue.

You're right that it is not as bad as ball golf, but it could have been a different story if a limit was not set. Obviously, rims can only be so wide for the human hand to hold, but they could certainly be wider than the rules currently allow. The point I was trying to make is not really about rim width, but more that it isn't really better for disc golf for every course to be about monster courses. The occasional tournament on a ball golf course is fun to watch, but would be boring if that is where the sport went more than it does now. I think disc golf needs to stop chasing TV and grow as it has been. Slow and steady.

I Think we might see an experiment in tee pads like a way to make the surface out of running outdoor track type material to have the best of all worlds a tough, grippy yet smooth grip for throwing off of. They would last a long time, about 20-30 years if done right for the type of weather you get in the area. Cold weather Tracks do exist.