• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Disc wear and cycling—what can I expect?

You can't cycle Roadrunners. Just sayin'. :|

Well I guess you never have a real stable one... but yeah.... You're kinda right but you may be wrong. I dunno for me a 175 RR is pretty stable haha.

The point of a RR cycle isn't like beating in a FB to a roller but more knocking off the new. It's nice to have a seasoned backup. It's not a 1 mold solution but you could cover straight to anhyzer with a couple real well.

It's a lot like a Comet cycle, you start out with say a less stable one 170X, a medium like a 174esp, and a stable 178Z. It gets you what you need now and you use each disc until it's squirrelly in its slot then move it down. Or like in my bag usually a 176 domey something and a flat top 172 (with a shoulder,probably yellow). :D

Considering the OP has an OLF, a Roadrunner would be a great combo. Barsby shredded the fort at worlds throwing an OLF and a Roadrunner. I love KJUSA's reaction to his roadrunner drive on hole 9 (31:05)

It's a Star Wraith and a Star Sidewinder at the moment. Too early for me to imagine I've got anything worked out.

Do discs just off-gas as they sit around and change? That's kinda what I'm thinking. Maybe Star does that. Maybe it's not just the use and smacking trees.

I've seen that in DX plastic backups that I've had for years. They are less sticky and have become stiffer.

I had two disgusting shots with my Barsby Stamped Star Roadrunner yesterday. They avoided disaster at the right time similarly to what Basby's did, only I had to throw mine flat, while he hyzer flipped his. Both were flat releases at around 70% power. One shot was navigating around a mando and OB fence line, went straight for around 150 feet before meeting the OB fence line, then all of a sudden started drifting right, and kept on going before finally smoothing out to land 15 feet past the basket that was around 300 feet out. The second shot was through a tight gap dogleg right wooded fairway. Made the first gap, then the Roadrunner started immediately panning right just before it hit the backwall of the fairway, and drifted right the rest of the flight before flattening out perfectly right in front of the basket. I missed the 15 feet tap in.

Such an incredible disc for shaping shots. It's almost like there's a little pilot in there doing the work for you to avoid obstacles on the course.

Well I guess you never have a real stable one... but yeah.... You're kinda right but you may be wrong. I dunno for me a 175 RR is pretty stable haha.

The point of a RR cycle isn't like beating in a FB to a roller but more knocking off the new. It's nice to have a seasoned backup. It's not a 1 mold solution but you could cover straight to anhyzer with a couple real well.

It's a lot like a Comet cycle, you start out with say a less stable one 170X, a medium like a 174esp, and a stable 178Z. It gets you what you need now and you use each disc until it's squirrelly in its slot then move it down. Or like in my bag usually a 176 domey something and a flat top 172 (with a shoulder,probably yellow). :D
I mean it's what technically the term means and then how we use it.

Cycling technically is taking an OS disc and beating them in so you have several in various stages of wear and that one mold covers all your shots i.e. you have a new Aviar, a seasoned Aviar and a beat Aviar and those three discs cover all your putter shots. To do that, the disc has to start out OS out of the box enough to cover your OS shots. I started playing when this was common so it's easy for me to remember the "You can cycle Vipers but you can't cycle Stingrays" rule.

You can have a fresh/beat version of anything in your bag, though. There really was never a term for that incomplete cycle, it was just carrying multiples.

So if you take Comets, I carry four in various stages of wear. It's not a cycle because there is always a 5th discs there (Sentinel) to cover the OS shot that the Comet doesn't start out OS enough to cover. When I carry Rocs, it's just five Rocs and that's a cycle.

As time has gone on, almost no one actually cycles anymore. I really only do it with Rocs. The term has been shifted to just carrying multiples of anything so today's player would consider what I'm doing with the four Comets or three Valks in my bag "cycling" even though neither of those discs start out OS enough to actually cycle.

Back when cycling was common, there were not as many discs on the OS side of the putter/mid discs. A big bead Aviar WAS the OS putter of choice back before the Rhyno came out. Now you have Zones and Harps and stuff. A Roc WAS the OS mid of choice before the Gator was a thing. The evolution of disc selection/plastics that have come along since the early 90's has made an actual cycle pretty rare.

Latest posts