• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Drivers?

The Flash is where it's at.... I just bought 2 about 10 min. ago.. Why? Cause I can manipulate it's flight a LOT easier than a Surge. Just not at Highbridge's Granite Ridge course with high winds and water hazards........

Avenger SS is a great disc. Does a lot of things well but is very squirrely into the wind. And if released a little late RHBH it will probably keep going right and not come back.

The Flick is perfect for FH. But its a very 1 dimensional disc imho. I love it. But only FH and only as a very overstable disc.

I think your best all arounf Discraft drivers are the Surge and Surge SS. Either Z or ESP plastic. And the Surge SS in FLX plastic is a winner too, but FLX plastic takes some getting used to. Versatile and you don't need a HUGE arm to make them perform well.

I went to PIA a couple months ago planning to buy a FLX Surge SS because my friend let me borrow his and I liked how it felt. I wasn't paying attention and ended up grabbing a FLX Surge instead. At first, I hated this disc. However, for the last two months it has become my go to driver. I find the FLX Surge a little more stable than my ESP ND one and can handle wind considerably better. Plus, the FLX is pretty much indestructible and has beaten in very gradually.

Now, if I'm not reaching for my Stalker, I am usually going for the Surge. Great distance and have just grown to love the FLX.

Avenger SS is a great disc. Does a lot of things well but is very squirrely into the wind. And if released a little late RHBH it will probably keep going right and not come back.

The Flick is perfect for FH. But its a very 1 dimensional disc imho. I love it. But only FH and only as a very overstable disc.

I think your best all arounf Discraft drivers are the Surge and Surge SS. Either Z or ESP plastic. And the Surge SS in FLX plastic is a winner too, but FLX plastic takes some getting used to. Versatile and you don't need a HUGE arm to make them perform well.

You need to think outside of the box on the Flick. Sure, great for overstable FH and OH but make sure you try flexing it, and try some skip shots and really play on that overstable attitude it has. I even found I could skip it and it would land on end and also roll, which it actually does pretty well at.

Im able to do some sick shots with the Flick just because I trust it to be so aggressively overstable.

You need to think outside of the box on the Flick. Sure, great for overstable FH and OH but make sure you try flexing it, and try some skip shots and really play on that overstable attitude it has. I even found I could skip it and it would land on end and also roll, which it actually does pretty well at.

Im able to do some sick shots with the Flick just because I trust it to be so aggressively overstable.

I've been stretching its boundaries of late. But not with great results. Part of the reason is that although I love the tie dye on it the colors and their pattern as well as the super thin profile make it a stealth disc in the bushes.

But I love it for what I can do with it. Even if I screw up the throw completely I know the instant it leaves my fingertip EXACTLY where its gonna go. It cruises just above the dandelion tops for a long way before it cuts hard left (LHFD) I feel like it has the most dependable flight of any disc in my bag.

But like I said I've been experimenting a bit with its capabilities. Unfortunately its soon going into winter hiatus. The rim is just too shallow and Z plastic too slippery in the cold wet winters we have in WNY. I'd like if they made it in ESP or FLX, hell even X plastic especially with an imprint in the rim.

I throw a Nuke when i need to go real long and hard left finish. Its very comparable to Innovas Katana. Nuke ends shorter every time but always further left. Great disc if you have the arm to throw it.

I love my predators, which is like a faster firebird, (but it's still not a high speed disc.). Their older molds are really nice as well. The cyclone is a great line shaping driver, and beats in to be a great turnover disc. They serve as a filler between my mids and my drivers. The Stratus is a great touch driver as well. 175g stratus can be hyzer flipped to one of the straightest control drivers out there.

For gateway, you might try the assassin or apache. Assassin is a bit like a glidier valyrie, the apache like a glidier orc. The problem with gateway being that you could love one of their drivers, buy 5 more of the same mold and plastic, and none of them fly like the one you have, and the plastic be noticeably different. If you're going to venture into that arena, I recommend finding a store that carries them so that you can feel them before you buy.

Latest posts