• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft nuke/Innova ?...

Champ Boss is the most stable of them all, flies similar to an Xcaliber, this is the big arm Boss.

Star Boss's have a wider range of stability.
The lightest ones, 166-169 grams, called Star Light, are stabilized , so they are very stable when new. These beat in to be amazing flyers, my favorite of all the Boss's.

Heavier Star Boss's, and Eco Boss's are less stable with more glide when new, but will all beat to flippy with use.

R-Pro Boss's are very flippy when new, great for hyzer flips off the tee, and under 140 grams they float on water.

Personally, I think the Nuke would be in between the Boss and the Katana somewhere , as far as flight characteristics.
A Katabo, or a Bostana.

Personally, I can throw the thinner rimmed discs further. I don't have small hands or anything, but the big rims disagree with me.

Dang I should just man up and learn to throw a boss

Nah.

Manning up is picking up an stable to understable disc with a ton of glide and learning how to throw it in anything short of hurricane force headwind. With the proper technique and line, a Valkyrie or Wraith can get the same distance as a Boss. The only true advantage a Boss has is if you have a lower ceiling or tighter fairway and need a solid fading finishing on a flat release, a shot where a Wraith or Valkyrie cannot swing out wide and come back on target.

I still use the Z Nuke on plenty of open shots for maximum distance, but often if I have enough room to rip a solid hyzer line, I give the Valkyrie a strong consideration before I pull out a disc.

AMEN!!!

Currently, my Valks are the farthest discs in my bag. Complete and totall long-range finesse.

That's the hard part of disc golf. Right behing putting of course.

Big arms get you in to bigger trouble. Probably my biggest problem. The valk has tought me a lot about long distance accuracy.

I went up and tried the boss, the groove, the katana, etc. Backed back down (disced down)to valks and wraith for main drivers. Fastest I throw is X-cal and Destroyer.

Yeah, "manning up" to throw a Boss is not the way to go. I'm in the same boat as everyone else, wanting to throw the latest and greatest, but one of the best lessons you can learn is to not throw a disc that's outside your power range. On my best days I can put a wraith or a dx destroyer out to about 375 and my nukes and katanas out to about 400 (best ever was 425) but I too bought a Boss. I simply do not have the arm for it (or even really a Destroyer, to be honest). Sure, I can make it fly about 350 and it will give me a bit of an S, but if I release poorly at all, that disc is going to shank hard. Why throw something with that much of a downside when I can throw a Wraith/Orc farther and, now that I'm discing down, I can throw my eagles farther as well?

That's not to say people with lesser arms can't use a boss for something other than its intended max distance flight. I know several people who throw in the 330 range who use them as their headwind/hyzer discs. But why not use something more in your range, like a firebird, which you can control better for those same shots?

Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant.

It's not a technique thing for me, I have a star and champ wraith in my bag and I can get them both 350 ft I'm just wanting to know if the nuke or boss would be a better distance disc for pro tees. I'm starting to play tournaments and I've cut down my mids to a dx roc and 2008 super roc (no real reason I just like the way it looks) and I flick a star max.

Do you have any tips on technique for the wraith?

Nah.

Manning up is picking up an stable to understable disc with a ton of glide and learning how to throw it in anything short of hurricane force headwind. With the proper technique and line, a Valkyrie or Wraith can get the same distance as a Boss. The only true advantage a Boss has is if you have a lower ceiling or tighter fairway and need a solid fading finishing on a flat release, a shot where a Wraith or Valkyrie cannot swing out wide and come back on target.

I still use the Z Nuke on plenty of open shots for maximum distance, but often if I have enough room to rip a solid hyzer line, I give the Valkyrie a strong consideration before I pull out a disc.

Yeah, like I said earlier I'm use to backhanding beast's etc. I had a Valkyrie I loved but it's in a lake lol I've bought another champ valk and star valk and they just didn't fly the same so I got a wraith and I like it. Also like I said I'm trying to cut some discs out of my bag. I really only want to have a backhand, a flick and doubles of them for tournaments.

Thanks for the post, do you have any tips for the valk or wraith to get some big distance and accuracy?

AMEN!!!

Currently, my Valks are the farthest discs in my bag. Complete and totall long-range finesse.

That's the hard part of disc golf. Right behing putting of course.

Big arms get you in to bigger trouble. Probably my biggest problem. The valk has tought me a lot about long distance accuracy.

I went up and tried the boss, the groove, the katana, etc. Backed back down (disced down)to valks and wraith for main drivers. Fastest I throw is X-cal and Destroyer.

Are there any weight rules for discs that can be used in a tournament? I got a friend that uses an R-pro boss for a roller disc and I was messing around and got a sweet roller with it the other day and it's a 145g

And who makes the Katabo and Bostana?

Champ Boss is the most stable of them all, flies similar to an Xcaliber, this is the big arm Boss.

Star Boss's have a wider range of stability.
The lightest ones, 166-169 grams, called Star Light, are stabilized , so they are very stable when new. These beat in to be amazing flyers, my favorite of all the Boss's.

Heavier Star Boss's, and Eco Boss's are less stable with more glide when new, but will all beat to flippy with use.

R-Pro Boss's are very flippy when new, great for hyzer flips off the tee, and under 140 grams they float on water.

Personally, I think the Nuke would be in between the Boss and the Katana somewhere , as far as flight characteristics.
A Katabo, or a Bostana.

There are no minimum weights, but there are maximum weights that are determined by a diameter and posted @ PDGA.com.

It's not a technique thing for me, I have a star and champ wraith in my bag and I can get them both 350 ft I'm just wanting to know if the nuke or boss would be a better distance disc for pro tees. I'm starting to play tournaments and I've cut down my mids to a dx roc and 2008 super roc (no real reason I just like the way it looks) and I flick a star max.

Do you have any tips on technique for the wraith?

I have a maximum distance of 440 feet with a Z Nuke on flat ground, often hitting around 410-420. However, during serious rounds I find I reach more for my Wraiths and Valkyries when going for distance because it is more reliable and comfortable to throw with a hyzer than forcing my Nuke into a flex (I only get about 380-390 throwing the Nuke with a hyzer, it is all about the wide grip).

Last year when I was over-torqueing a disc and throwing with a bad follow through that it made it seem like I was turning over everything but the most overstable discs, I grabbed a Star Wraith for a player's package disc. When I first threw it I backed off the power not knowing what it would do. It flew beautifully and easily got 370 feet. At the time, that was the longest I was throwing.

Like always when I get comfortable and excited about a disc, I start trying to squeeze more distance out of it and that is where my poor technique always took over. I kept thinking it was the disc and not my form, that I had so much snap that I was not throwing what was right for me. I eventually moved onto to Bosses and XCalibers. They obviously were flying right, for me, but I still had flaws in my form.

This year when I settled down and realized that I was shifting my center of gravity away and to the right as I was working my way to the release point and follow-through, I was able to move back into long distance drivers that had better glide. I rediscovered the Wraith and even the Valkyrie, discs I could not have thrown last year. What really helped was learning how to release a Katana with a hyzer so it would not flip over. Using the same line I noticed how beautifully the Wraith can fly.

If you can swing it out to the right a little bit with the slighest of hyzers, it will have the same finish time and time again. Doing this I can almost always get the same distance as my Bosses and my average distance with my Z Nukes. If I want a straighter finish, I can even swing my Valkyries out there with that slight hyzer. On average, I get anywhere from 380 to 400 feet.

If I had to sum up what changed from last to this year, it is my mentality. Last year I was all about throwing flat, thinking the line drive was going to get the most distance because it is the shortest line from point a to point b. I also thought it would set me up as an elite player because of how beautiful line drives look in flight. At the end of last year, I realized that trying to throw like that is forcing a disc into something it is not designed to do, and that is only going to rob it of its potential. Very few discs are designed and capable of flying flat on a line drive. The TeeBird is the only disc I can think of.

I have a maximum distance of 440 feet with a Z Nuke on flat ground, often hitting around 410-420. However, during serious rounds I find I reach more for my Wraiths and Valkyries when going for distance because it is more reliable and comfortable to throw with a hyzer than forcing my Nuke into a flex (I only get about 380-390 throwing the Nuke with a hyzer, it is all about the wide grip).

This, I think hits the heart of the matter. I can get a good 30 feet more on average with my Nuke than any other driver I have. However, it's not as consistent a driver for me as others I have and, as a result, I reach for other discs in its place except for on wide-open holes. Like most wider-rimmed drivers, they simply aren't as forgiving if you don't release them just right and don't have the power to compensate for (or mask) any form flaws you may have.

I talked to a guy the other day that can bomb it about 450 or so and he plays with a Nuke. He said the closest thing he had used was a Katana, but he said there was still quite a bit of difference between the two.

I'm always surprised at how different people can describe discs very differently. I own a First Run ESP Nuke, and First Run Z Nuke as well as Pro Worlds CFR Star Katana and Champ Katana as well. I wouldn't describe either of my Katanas as way overstable. They both S-curve quite a bit for me off of hyzer lines. For me, they fall somewhere between my beat-in ESP Surge and my new Wraiths as far as stability goes.

Not to say yours don't fly like that, just an interesting observation.

I play at an altitude of about 6,500 feet so that's why my katana flies overstable. On that same thought I just played down at sea level for the first time last weekend and my 173 ESP Nuke was so understable it was almost unusable for me

If you like the Nuke and its exactly what you need, yet hate Discraft, buy a Nuke from a forum member in the marketplace. None of your money will be supporting Discraft :D. If you have a problem with Discraft fanboys, just ignore them. It's Ford vs Chevy vs Pepsi vs Coke vs McDonald's vs Burger King all over again.

Latest posts