• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Discraft plastics?

I've never thrown ESP or FLX, but I find Ti and Elite Z too hard to get a good grip on, epecially now with colder weather.

I actually am a fan of Pro-D and Elite X; Pro-D beats in fast, but no more so than DX, and it has fantastic grip. Elite X is surprisingly durable and also grippier than Z.

Pro-D Buzzz is a fun disc to throw.

I've never thrown ESP or FLX, but I find Ti and Elite Z too hard to get a good grip on, epecially now with colder weather.

I actually am a fan of Pro-D and Elite X; Pro-D beats in fast, but no more so than DX, and it has fantastic grip. Elite X is surprisingly durable and also grippier than Z.

FLX is the best for cold/wet days.

I wish that I got into X plastic earlier on. It's good stuff, and my noodle-arm appreciates the tendency for the discs to be on the flippier side of things.

Outside of putters, I don't bag Pro D.

I wish that I got into X plastic earlier on. It's good stuff, and my noodle-arm appreciates the tendency for the discs to be on the flippier side of things.

Outside of putters, I don't bag Pro D.

I wish Discraft offered more molds in X plastic to be honest.

To the OP, Drone and Predator are two of the best discs I've ever thrown and wouldn't plat without them in the bag. The Predator and Drone are both overstable but throwable if you have the snap for them. Learn the angle to release them on and as they season they will cover a wide array of shots. I throw both RHBH and RHFH so these are my go to discs for just about everything. I carry a Z Drone for when the wind picks up or when I need to flex a shot hard and fast. My FLX Drone is beat to perfection, best line shaping disc I've ever thrown, stable enough I can throw with power but much more workable than my Z. I also working on beating a Pro D to death just to see what happens and how it flies. Same setup for my Preds except no Pro D one, I throw them just like my Drone but farther.

Plastics:

D is very grippy and DX like, not durable. Perfection for putters, I love this plastic.

Soft X is pretty much just somewhat rubbery D plastic for somewhat floppy putters.

X is quite a bit more durable and ranges from about star stiffness to quite stiff. X drivers often have bigger domes which is awesome. I love this plastic.

ESP is very much like star, with a little different feel. The perfect amount of durability and skip for a lot of discs and super grippy. Sometimes it is closer to Big Z than standard ESP. I love this plastic.

ESP FLX is just somewhat rubbery ESP with no skip and softer ricochets. Amazing in freezing temps.

Big Z is Z with a little of whatever makes up ESP in the mix. It feels, wears, and skips extremely close to Z but has a little bit more grip than most Z. This is my favorite for most discs and I hope they come out with more options. 10 year buzzes had a special blend of Z but to me it was pretty similar to Big Z.

Z is like champion, medium stiffness amazing durability. Perfect for a lot of discs if you can grip it well. I grip it super well and this plastic dominates my bag. I love the standard rainbow or white circle stamps btw, classy. Z feels and flies great, wears in extremely slowly (if that's what you want) and molds up extremely consistently.

Sparkle, Glow, and Midnight Z feel and fly Identical to Z, but I perceive a little extra grip in Glow Z.

Ti is just Z that tends to be a bit stiffer and has a cool look. A lot of Ti discs mold up strangely which is awesome, like super overstable stalkers, forces, and nukes. Many have really great pop tops too.

Cryztal is a very clear fund raiser plastic that has a similar feel to Opto from latitude in that it is a little bit more flexible than Z and has a little bit more grip. It's a little bit rubbery feeling but not much, people love the feel and also the look of this plastic. Cryztal also can mold up differently too, like super overstable Stalkers, understable Challengers, and overstable AvengerSS.

And there is also Cryztal FLX out there, amongst some other plastics.

The Buzzz in ESP, ESP FLX, Big Z, Z, Glow Z, or Ti is a must try because it is board flat, mega comfortable in hand, and has a super good level of speed and level of stability to it. A little faster than a Comet or Roc, a little slower than an M3 or Truth. It starts off only a little bit overstable and wears into a little bit understable which makes it so perfect for long, straight shots with little to no turn and just a touch of fade. Perfect for a looot of different shots from hyzers to anhyzers. The Z Buzzz takes a mega long time to wear in. The X Buzzz seasons to be understable for turnovers and feels amazing.

Everyone here will tell you to try a comet because they are excellent performers with superior glide. Perfect woods disc for the toughest shots. They're very fun to throw and they will teach you how to throw slower and less stable discs cleanly and smoothly, which will improve your game overall and make you a much lower scoring golfer. I'd recommend a heavy Z comet. They are very neutral at first and slowly wear into a perfect turnover midrange.

Another one you'll hear a lot about on these forums is the Zone. Many people including Discraft call it a putter or in between disc but really you will find that it is as fast as a comet or roc. It won't fly far at all though, it flies quickly into the ground! It is meathook overstable, which some people love as a go-to shot, especially for super short forehand hyzer approaches and in 15mph+ headwinds. I don't love meathook discs personally but I still prefer them for some shots. The zone tends to have a little puddle top and is definitely one of the most comfy discs period, especially in forehand.

Discraft doesn't have a disc with the exact same level of speed and level of stability of a teebird, just as most brands. If you're in love with the teebird stick with it. The closest discs would be a standard Z Stalker (speed 6 and with a different shape than a tb), Z Tracker (speed 8 and tends to be more overstable), and Z XL (speed 7 and about TL/LEO stability). I love all three. Don't risk buying other plastics of stalkers they can be meathooky. I revered the teebird as a perfect disc when I was inexperienced and didn't shoot low but years ago I realized that 99% of discs are equal, just different. When you can throw well you can throw any disc and like it. With the ridiculous amount of choices out there you just have to make a decision as to which ones you personally throw and like the best so you don't have bag problems.

Last edited:
Yes a good tracker is the best discraft teebird

Its sad that they don't have more x discs. X wasps were the best and were always le. They broke in so straight and slow. Just as good as kc rocs with a grippier more flexible plastic.

Yes a good tracker is the best discraft teebird

Its sad that they don't have more x discs. X wasps were the best and were always le. They broke in so straight and slow. Just as good as kc rocs with a grippier more flexible plastic.

their x plastic is money. ive started throwing x buzzes to cycle and i have nothing but good to speak about them. as an avid wasp thrower i wish there was x wasps so i could cycle.

I am not sure why I am so attached to my teebird i have had it about a year and only recently started to like it. I think it may be because I can depend on it to do what it does.

I like Discraft for mids, Innova for fairways. I would keep the TB for sure if it's working for you.

I must add after getting these discs and holding and throwing them I am a fan of Discraft they feel good in the hand feel good when they come out and fly where I point it most of the time. (My form still needs a lot of work). Now to get a comet and a zone I'll think i I'll be set for awhile. Can't wait till my bag comes in because I need more space.