• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dye alternatives, and broader ranges of colors

PYLAM PRICING GUIDE

Bad news y'all:

On the Pylam Pricing Guide, the prices quoted in the columns for 2oz jars and 4oz jars are not the total price for 2oz/4oz of product. Rather, they are the price PER OUNCE. So 4oz jars of green dye don't cost $37.60 . . . they cost $150.40. :eek:

This is not specified in the pricing guide. Even the representative had to double check about pricing information. Sorry for the confusion, that's wayyy to expensive for my needs at the moment.

So, Duff, it looks like your guy selling .25oz for about $12 isn't all that pricey.

Bad news y'all:

On the Pylam Pricing Guide, the prices quoted in the columns for 2oz jars and 4oz jars are not the total price for 2oz/4oz of product. Rather, they are the price PER OUNCE. So 4oz jars of green dye don't cost $37.60 . . . they cost $150.40. :eek:

This is not specified in the pricing guide. Even the representative had to double check about pricing information. Sorry for the confusion, that's wayyy to expensive for my needs at the moment.

So, Duff, it looks like your guy selling .25oz for about $12 isn't all that pricey.

That sounds ridiculous...Was this coming from Aaron at Pylam? Doesn't sound right at all!

Aaron referred me to another representative, and she said that she had to double check on that price. I agree that it sounds like an awful lot!

If anybody is up for some testing and can spend the cash, somebody really should try out the professional line of RIT...Its like $20 bucks a POUND...and they have neons...I'd of done it already but Im way overstocked on dye...I need discs, not dye ;)

If this works, then there's no reason to deal with their ridiculous pricing!

http://store.ritstudio.com/professional-line/

I may do this. Probably will do it. Just not immediately. I'll buy a pound of black after I get back from my trip next month. If it works and others are willing, we can go in for some other colors together.

***CORRECTION ON PYLAM PRICE***

:doh:

I sent an email to Aaron (thanks for the suggestion Odyssey) and he advised that the prices communicated over the phone were incorrect. The pricing is as we thought all along, per the pricing guide:

4oz of Pylam Disperse Aqua FSB-15000 = $35.50
4oz of Pylam Disperse Fuchsia FSB-15005 = $37.95
4oz of Pylam Disperse Fluorescent Yellow FSB-15002 = $37.40
4oz of Pylam Disperse Green FSB-15001 = $37.60

THAT'S more like it. Sheesh, sorry for the 360 runaround here guys. Order is back on!

:hfive:

:thmbup:
:doh:

I sent an email to Aaron (thanks for the suggestion Odyssey) and he advised that the prices communicated over the phone were incorrect. The pricing is as we thought all along, per the pricing guide:

4oz of Pylam Disperse Aqua FSB-15000 = $35.50
4oz of Pylam Disperse Fuchsia FSB-15005 = $37.95
4oz of Pylam Disperse Fluorescent Yellow FSB-15002 = $37.40
4oz of Pylam Disperse Green FSB-15001 = $37.60

THAT'S more like it. Sheesh, sorry for the 360 runaround here guys. Order is back on!

:hfive:

Manutex

Has anyone ever tried Manutex as a thickening agent? I imagine this takes the place of using laundry detergent to paint the dye onto the disc.

http://goo.gl/og3h1m

I'm thinking of picking some up, just curious if anyone has tried it.

Thickening Agent

Or anyone try Pro Thick F from Prochemical?

http://www.prochemicalanddye.com/product.php?productid=16185&cat=249&page=1

Here is their instructions for Direct Application on Polyester using PROsperse Dispers Dyes.

http://www.prochemical.com/directions/ProsperseDirectApplicationPolyester.htm

Notice that some of the ingredients in this method are found in the Pro Thick F mix, but some are not. It would be cheaper to buy the mix already made, rather than buying all the additional ingredients separately.

Received confirmation from prochemical that this is their solution to painting dye directly onto plastic. More expensive than using laundry detergent, but it's nice to have an official recipe as a starting point.

http://goo.gl/eMdcBA

I'm going to give it a shot, as I plan on doing more painting than dip dyeing. The only concern I have is if the Citric Acid Crystals will have an adverse effect on the plastic. One way to find out . . .

Mixing question. I'm currently painting a straight iDye/acetone mix with brushes and a record player. I'm really happy with everything I've done so far but I wanna try doing a bright red ring that fades into the bright yellow of worm dip. Whats the best mix to achieve that? The acetone/dye mix doesn't seem like it'll blend well and the detergent/dye mix doesn't get bright enough. Is the prochem sample kit something that I should consider?

Mixing question. I'm currently painting a straight iDye/acetone mix with brushes and a record player. I'm really happy with everything I've done so far but I wanna try doing a bright red ring that fades into the bright yellow of worm dip. Whats the best mix to achieve that? The acetone/dye mix doesn't seem like it'll blend well and the detergent/dye mix doesn't get bright enough. Is the prochem sample kit something that I should consider?

Ehhh...I wouldn't see it being crucial for the application you are using it for. It might brighten your colors up a tad, but I believe your dye your starting with is going to be what makes or breaks the colors you are trying to achieve. I have also used cotton pads and a tad of vinegar to obtain a sunburst style effect (if thats what youre going for). Its a touchy technique...Pylams yellow is the best yellow and prochemicals bright red is probably the best red Ive played with...Yellow worm dip is excellent as well!

Last edited:
Ehhh...I wouldn't see it being crucial for the application you are using it for. It might brighten your colors up a tad, but I believe your dye your starting with is going to be what makes or breaks the colors you are trying to achieve. I have also used cotton pads and a tad of vinegar to obtain a sunburst style effect (if thats what youre going for). Its a touchy technique...Pylams yellow is the best yellow and prochemicals bright red is probably the best red Ive played with...Yellow worm dip is excellent as well!

so are you making a solid line with a brush then blending it with the cotton pad and vinegar? All I have to try on is new plastic so I don't wanna mess this up.

so are you making a solid line with a brush then blending it with the cotton pad and vinegar? All I have to try on is new plastic so I don't wanna mess this up.

Theres really no right or wrong answer. I mean I wouldnt try the technique im describing unless you want a large gradient effect, and yes I would paint on maybe 3 good size lines, maybe red, orange, and yellow, then slowly kinda wipe them off with a damp cotton pad (wet w/ vinegar. Not soaked but wet enough) from the yellow to the red as its spinning. Id let the dye lines sit for a few minutes before wiping though. You can even use the damp pad to kind of work it into the plastic while applying your gradient. Kinda just gotta play with it.

If you're going for more defined lines then I would not go this route. This is just more for like a gradient effect. This effect takes best on star plastic.

*Keep in mind the worm dye will not blend much. Mostly will just take immediately to the plastic*

Theres really no right or wrong answer. I mean I wouldnt try the technique im describing unless you want a large gradient effect, and yes I would paint on maybe 3 good size lines, maybe red, orange, and yellow, then slowly kinda wipe them off with a damp cotton pad (wet w/ vinegar. Not soaked but wet enough) from the yellow to the red as its spinning. Id let the dye lines sit for a few minutes before wiping though. You can even use the damp pad to kind of work it into the plastic while applying your gradient. Kinda just gotta play with it.

If you're going for more defined lines then I would not go this route. This is just more for like a gradient effect. This effect takes best on star plastic.

*Keep in mind the worm dye will not blend much. Mostly will just take immediately to the plastic*

Thanks for the tips. Tried it. I did the worm dye on the whole area of the gradient. Then a solid red line on the edge and used a vinegar damp cotton pad to blend over the worm dye. All with straight acetone/dye mix.

t7YN3Q5l.jpg

Thanks for the tips. Tried it. I did the worm dye on the whole area of the gradient. Then a solid red line on the edge and used a vinegar damp cotton pad to blend over the worm dye. All with straight acetone/dye mix.

Looks nice! Well done! :clap:

Pylam Dye

1 pound of Pylam Dye arrived! I only have 1 ounce remaining of each of the following colors:

Bright Green
Fluorescent Yellow
Fuchsia
Aqua

PM me if you are interested.

SOLD

I've got takers for all of the Pylam dye. This worked out well, if anyone wants to coordinate again for an order in the future, let me know.

Latest posts