• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

elbow soreness

solomon.trenton

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
i have noticed that after a few really long drives or two rounds with normal distance i have a sore elbow on my throwing arm and my drive decreases tremendously. any ideas as to how to fix this.

Sore doesn't explain much. Is it a burning, shooting, sharp, dull, pain? It could be tendonitis, it could be ligament damage. Are you playin everyday? Do you feel this pain doing anything else? Is there swelling?

how are you throwing? backhand or forehand? my elbow doesn't hurt as much as my bicep does usually after 27 holes but occasionally my elbow does hurt minimally. as sidewinder22 mentioned what type of pain is it? stretching before playing seems to help me a lot!!!
-m-

See your doctor - this is not normal, and if you ignore it (like most of us males do) it will only get worse. Muscle soreness is one thing (expected) - joint/tendon soreness is another (worisome). You will likely get referred to a PT, and he/she will have better info for you. Best of luck.

updated symptoms

after the first few tomahawks with an epic it feels like someone is driving a nail right under my tricep. it is mostly sore from throwing LHBH after about 25-30 holes most of the time. forearm i dont really have a problem with. i am only playing every 2-3 days so i dont think its muscle fatigue. anyone think that this might just need a tweek in my throw?

Are you following through on all of your throws? I'm curious since you mentioned the overhead shot in your last post. Check to make sure you are using the correct form and following through at the end. Incorrect form can lead to serious injuries. Make sure you are warmed up before doing mentioned throws. For instance, when I get ready to throw a tommy or a thumber I will do the motion with a towel or a disc 4-5 times before the disc ever leaves my hands.

x2 on the follow through...i was not doing this at first when i threw RHFH, and i kept getting soreness in my elbow (like i over-extended it), when i started focusing on follow through, it almost completely went away...

My elbow used to get sore a lot, and then I realized I was following through to a point directly in front of me. This left my arm right out straight in front of me after the release, and must have been literally jamming my elbow. I also probably wasn't warming up well enough. That's my problem as often as not.

Sounds like tendonitis(tennis elbow)...ice, rest, advil. Stretching and warm-up helps, also warm-down and stretch after. Technique wise it sounds like something is off like your follow through. Try not fully extending your elbow and focus on keeping it slightly bent throughout the throw and follow through.

Had the same problem myself earlier in the year. Once I started properly following through - it made a huge difference! Careful with the stretching - you can overdo it. I tend to take a long hot shower to loosen up all muscles and joints, before heading out to play, which can help as well.