• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

End of Jump Putting as we know it

Feldburg can do what he does now just not step in front of his marker. His front foot that is 1 inch off the ground when he releases his disc can be one inch off the ground behind his marker.

Jump putts like most claim to be legal but isn't will be legal. In my new rule you can release the disc in the air but it has to be behind the marker. When you do land that foot also has to land behind the marker.

I never ever ever ever ever ever ever said anything about a follow through being banned except to answer the dumb question "does that mean your throwing hand can't go past your marker".

What is a follow thru for a jump putter? Them landing in front of their marker.
What would it be under my rule? The same damn thing but them landing behind their marker.

If my new rule was the rule jump putting would cease to exist because the people doing it will not get their advantage anymore. Even though they claim it's part of their "style" (or whatever word you/they want to call it) they would stop doing it.

I agree with Jay Dub entirely. I don't see why changing the rule to force people to have to stay behind their marker at all times is such a problem, unless they are somehow conferring themselves an unfair advantage by taking advantage of the rule now.

I agree with Jay Dub entirely. I don't see why changing the rule to force people to have to stay behind their marker at all times is such a problem, unless they are somehow conferring themselves an unfair advantage by taking advantage of the rule now.

Exactly! :clap:

Thanks!

as to the other point, Are you saying that you should be allowed to putt from further away from your mark than 30 cm.?
No.
There is no 30cm rule at this point, I think that would be new and should be allowed. Your foot needs to be on or within (in the air for jump putters) the 30cm area.

We talked about this at a tournament yesterday, I took a quick pole. If the landing zone behind your marker was to be expanded no one was happy with it being 30cm wide (as was suggested earlier in this thread) but was ok with it being 30cm back from the marker as long as it was inline with the target. (Same as the rule is now but only 12?cm).

While such a rule might sound good to you in theory, it's just not practical. Is it really easier to judge weather a foot or something else is over a spot on the ground at the exact time of release, than judging if is touching the ground behind the mark? When are you allowed to move past the mark after release? What about the run op on a fairway drive? How do you judge if the throwes is on the line of play on the last step before the follow through? If your follow through foot doesn't land right behind the mark, can't you just put your hand down there? Or your knee?

While your rule might fix one "problem" I think it creates many more and worse problems. And still no one offers an explanation why this is such a huge problem that it needs fixing?

Joak, I said earlier this takes using common sense.
I've explained myself and others agree. Ask some one else, please.

The problem with common sense is that it is not very common. What is common sense to you, might be absurd to someone else. You cannot write rules relying on common sense for interpretation.
Who should I ask to interpret your suggestion for a rule change?

No.
There is no 30cm rule at this point, I think that would be new and should be allowed. Your foot needs to be on or within (in the air for jump putters) the 30cm area.

We talked about this at a tournament yesterday, I took a quick pole. If the landing zone behind your marker was to be expanded no one was happy with it being 30cm wide (as was suggested earlier in this thread) but was ok with it being 30cm back from the marker as long as it was inline with the target. (Same as the rule is now but only 12?cm).

The rule NOW is you get up to 30cm on the line of play from the rear edge of your marker on which to place a supporting point.

If you're going to discuss rule changes, shouldn't you first know the current rules that you want to change?

I think you're confusing the measurement terms :p. The current rule is 30cm <roughly 11 inches> behind your marker on the line of play.

I understand what Jay is saying. Throw standing still, throw with a follow through, or jump. Just as long as no supporting points before/ during/ after the throw is past your mark.
My only problem with this is how do you get people to have their supporting point in line with the mark if they start 3-4-6...? ft behind the mark? We have people off the mark now. How can you get people to not throw from 1-2 ft on the "good" side of a tough lie, when they are several ft behind the lie? And do you really expect people to land their follow through or jump w/in 30 cm directly behind the lie? Or are you saying we should throw from anywhere we want, as long as we finish behind the lie?
I think it will be just as hard to enforce your rule as the current rule.

Last edited:
Maybe you let people play within a certain distance to each side of the lie center point also. That way certain people, that are always whining about trees, can sneak away from their crappy lies???

No matter how you do it, at some point you are going to have a time and place where players will be getting to the very fine line of fouling, and the call will get tough. The rule simply needs to be something that doesn't give some players an advantage over others. But the more talented players always have an advantage.

Latest posts