• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

End of Jump Putting as we know it

mudslinger

Birdie Member
Thanks to the new rules proposal...30m possibly 50m circle now. Really begs the question...HOW IS THIS HELPING GROW THE SPORT?

This was posted today on pDGA discussion board (http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1469853#post1469853)

The proposed rule therefore would look like this:

802.04 Throwing from a Stance

A. A player must choose the stance that will result in the least movement of any part of any obstacle that is a permanent or integral part of the course. Once a legal stance is taken, the player may not move an obstacle in any way in order to make room for a throwing motion. It is legal for a player's throwing motion to cause incidental movement of an obstacle.

B. When the disc is released, a player must:
1. Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface that is within a stance zone defined by a 30x30cm square directly behind the marker disc and,
2. Have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object (including the playing surface) closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
3. Have all supporting points in-bounds.

C. Supporting point contact past the marker disc is permitted after the disc is released, except when putting.

D. Putting: Any throw from within 30 meters, as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the target, is considered a putt. Supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc after the disc has been released constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation. The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the hole.

E. A player shall receive one penalty throw, without a warning, for violation of a stance rule.

F. Any throw made from an illegal stance is disregarded. A re-throw must be taken from the original lie, prior to subsequent play by others in the group.

I have pitched this whole concept to a variety of players from AM2 through to Pro and no one has voiced any concerns.

[extract ends]

Alternatives to consider include: removing the follow through but allowing a run up on all throws; a 30m or 50m fairway marker past which you are considered to be putting (as opposed to a putting circle); different lies for inside/outside the circle.

None of these have reached a proposal stage yet

Not sure how this is the end of jump putting. Also I'm having really mixed emotions about the 30x30cm box.

I like the idea of a 30x30 area but only if it stipulated that it applies when you have no obsticles in the area. It should be a reward for good shot, not a way to make a bad lie easy.

HEY PDGA RULES COMMITTEE,

IF IT AIN'T BROKE,
:mad: THEN DON'T FIX IT!!!! :thmbdown:

Maybe I mis-read it, but the rule change seems to have nothing to do with the putting circle and jump putting. Also, there is no mention of a 30m or 50m circle. Those would be huge circles.

D. Putting: Any throw from within 30 meters, as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the target, is considered a putt.

I'm assuming you did a copy and paste, so I'm going to hope this was a typo on the part of the poster at the PDGA boards.

Right now the rule is 10 meters which is about 33 feet.

If they up it to 30 meters that would be anything within 100 feet of the basket being considered a putt. I just can't see them doing that.

And 50 meters? That would be over 160 feet, how could anyone conceivably think that's a putt?

I'm assuming you did a copy and paste, so I'm going to hope this was a typo on the part of the poster at the PDGA boards.

Right now the rule is 10 meters which is about 33 feet.

If they up it to 30 meters that would be anything within 100 feet of the basket being considered a putt. I just can't see them doing that.

And 50 meters? That would be over 160 feet, how could anyone conceivably think that's a putt?

No typo...this is real. Anything inside 30m will now be subject to falling putt...hence there is no real reason to jump putt anymore (at least for me as 100ft is mostly a backhand shot).

Again i ask the question...how is this helping the game? This is nothing but an attack on jump putting.

No typo...this is real. Anything inside 30m will now be subject to falling putt...hence there is no real reason to jump putt anymore (at least for me as 100ft is mostly a backhand shot).

Yeah, I just went and read the thread on PDGA. Later on the OP comes out and admits s/he basically want to get rid of jump puts with
30m might not be enough to get rid of jump putts

weak.

hardly any amateurs and only some pros consider within 100ft "putting". Are we trying to make our sport less impressive to the casual viewer?

people have a hard enough time knowing if they are outside the circle when it is 10m. can you imagine people trying to decipher if they are outside the circle at 30m?

people have a hard enough time knowing if they are outside the circle when it is 10m. can you imagine people trying to decipher if they are outside the circle at 30m?

this.... you've got to be ****ing kidding me. it's hard enough trying to get people to understand how far 10m is. people ask all the time if they are outside the circle when they are clearly in or clearly way out. i can't even conceive trying to figure out 30m by eyeballing it... especially if a lot of foliage or elevation is involved. that's just ****ing crazy

This will never happen. They are not going to add a rule that everyone hates just because one person hates jump putts....
(looks around at angry smokers)...ok they would not pass a rule everyone hates TWICE.

I love jump putters, them miss a majority of their putts trying to get fancy.

Last edited:

Latest posts