• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

End of Jump Putting as we know it

My point is this is the type of stuff your pDGA $ goes to...helping some non-jump putters level the competition because they lack skills.

HAHA lack of skills? :clap:

I'm sure we will all at some point look back and realize how lame jump putting was..

Some of you aren't seeing the facts that...

1. Too many players don't know the existing rules, and too many of us that do don't enforce them.

2. If a new rule is imposed, the memo that it has changed won't get out to everyone, even 2-3 years after it has been adopted and we'll still have people playing by the old rules, and it doesn't do a damned thing about concern #1.

3. It will impose a logistical nightmare on TD's at big events who now have to be concerned how to mark where the new putting circle/restriction begins, when they have far more important things to do. They waste enough time, money and paint marking 10 meter circles as it is.

How about...

4. "None of these have reached a proposal stage yet"

This isn't going to be in the new updated rule book. It's not even at a stage where it's being considered to be added officially to the rule book at any time. It's just people throwing ideas around on a discussion forum.

Not April 1 - Check
Troll - Not sure

Rule = dumb....who is going to measure 100 - 160' away its silly and how could you enforce it. Who accurately jump putts from 150' that we need this rule for...lol

One of my favorite quotes about this game is from Cam Todd.

"You can't make a hole I can't birdie"

I have no idea what your point was with this besides general trolling but if a course is well designed this should always be the case. Otherwise the par is off.

I could easily design a 700 foot uphill par 3. would it be fair? no. Could Cam Todd the Superhero golfer birdie it? no. What a dumb statement.

It's just people throwing ideas around on a discussion forum.

^yes. so is DGCR. it's a discussion...i didn't say it was a 2013 rules change...those can be found in links below. Truth is that if we didn't discuss things, they'd go ahead and make all sorts of new rules without input...here's your chance to voice your opinion.

Summary of changes: http://conraddamon.com/pdga/2013/rule-changes.txt

2013 rulebook draft: http://conraddamon.com/pdga/2013/rules2013.html

I have no idea what your point was with this besides general trolling but if a course is well designed this should always be the case. Otherwise the par is off.

I could easily design a 700 foot uphill par 3. would it be fair? no. Could Cam Todd the Superhero golfer birdie it? no. What a dumb statement.

Then your par is incorrect.

And I'm far from a troll.

How about...

4. "None of these have reached a proposal stage yet"

This isn't going to be in the new updated rule book. It's not even at a stage where it's being considered to be added officially to the rule book at any time. It's just people throwing ideas around on a discussion forum.

The fact that it keeps coming up for discussion is scary enough. I'm pretty sure the folks on the rules committee have heard my concerns 1-3 more than once. A reasonably minded person taking those concerns into account would realize that after facing resistance to those ideas the first time, they should have been heaped to the bad idea dumpster where they belong.

The fact that it keeps coming up for discussion is scary enough. I'm pretty sure the folks on the rules committee have heard my concerns 1-3 more than once. A reasonably minded person taking those concerns into account would realize that after facing resistance to those ideas the first time, they should have been heaped to the bad idea dumpster where they belong.

well the pDGA often ignores the advice of it's members...see the 2011 bylaws change to allow BOD to be expanded and to be nominated rather than voted on. They also did this without a vote by members basically arguing that members were too stupid to know how to assemble a BOD by votes.

Even the "proposals" author talked to a few players and no objections were raised...or maybe they were and the pDGA put their "earmuffs" on again.

Wow big shock mudslinger found a random forum post to use as a way to 1. troll, 2. bash the PDGA. Color me surprised.

100% disagree. any putt from 5 6 feet I would literally fall forward and drop it in each time.

So? How does that change the game?

Removing the rule entirely would simplify the rules, provide more consistent stance rules from tee to basket, and remove one more measurement (be it 10m, 30m, or whatever). All without substantively changing the game.

Jump putts have bailed me out of so many bad drives it's ridiculous. Would hate to see them go.

So? How does that change the game?

Removing the rule entirely would simplify the rules, provide more consistent stance rules from tee to basket, and remove one more measurement (be it 10m, 30m, or whatever). All without substantively changing the game.

It reduces the skill of putting, a lot. Showing balance in a putt is a very skillful thing that newer players really struggle with.

hahahaha you truly have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/CertifedElectionResults-PDGA-2011.pdf

See the bottom of page 3.

proved my point. THEY MADE THE CHANGE BEFORE VOTE...then put it in as a side memo on the election to say "should we REVISIT..." change was made and even if they "revisited" it was no means binding...BOD was moving forward regardless of member vote.

"2011 Bylaws Confidence Vote (2593 total voters; vote for 1):
2154 YES, I am in agreement with the recent change to the bylaws and Board structure, and I do
not believe that the Board needs to revisit this issue.
439 NO, I am not in agreement with the recent change to the bylaws and Board structure, and I
would like the Board to revisit this issue.
"

proved my point. THEY MADE THE CHANGE BEFORE VOTE...then put it in as a side memo on the election to say "should we REVISIT..." change was made and even if they "revisited" it was no means binding...BOD was moving forward regardless of member vote.

"2011 Bylaws Confidence Vote (2593 total voters; vote for 1):
2154 YES, I am in agreement with the recent change to the bylaws and Board structure, and I do
not believe that the Board needs to revisit this issue.
439 NO, I am not in agreement with the recent change to the bylaws and Board structure, and I
would like the Board to revisit this issue.
"

SMH....

It reduces the skill of putting, a lot. Showing balance in a putt is a very skillful thing that newer players really struggle with.

^^^THIS...great point. This affects our newer players in a negative way more than anything. When I was rec'in...i'd jump putt everything before I found out the rule.

Really? That's your argument?

Why should we have to define a putt? Shall we also require a "skillful" show of balance on all shots?

Lots of things keep coming up over the years. I've been playing the game 15 years and I've seen these kinds of rumors and threads come and go 100s of times (they're banning the jump putt being a common one). Despite popular opinion, these kinds of rumors rarely ever actually come to fruition.

Really, the only issue I have with this thread, and the many like it that have come before is that 90% of the participation is from people who fail to grasp the fact that it's all hypothetical. It's stuff like this, where people read hypothetical rule proposals and believe them to be true and imminent rule changes, that create confusion.

Like you point out, there's plenty of people that don't know the rules or don't enforce the rules. When things like this are introduced and it's not made perfectly clear that it's hypothetical, it just muddies the waters even further. I don't know how many times I've heard over the years that "jump putts have been made illegal" because someone read or heard a rumor/hypothetical like has been presented here, and run with it like it was gospel truth. My only goal here is to stem the tide of hysteria a little bit.

THEY ARE NOT CHANGING THE RULES TO DISALLOW JUMP PUTTING ANYTIME SOON

Latest posts