• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

End of Jump Putting as we know it

Really? That's your argument?

Why should we have to define a putt? Shall we also require a "skillful" show of balance on all shots?

Putts need to be defined if different rules govern the play...and as of now there are different rules for putts than other shots.

Requiring "skill" on all shots...They almost did that with Stand and Deliver. don't give them any ideas...before you know it we'll all be strapped into a teepad throwing lids.

In 1996 there was a Proposed Rule Revision to eliminate the Falling Putt rule altogether (thus making them legal), and I believe it was put to a member vote. I'd say it's more likely the rules bill be changed to allow them than to disallow them.

In the earlier discussion linked from the PDGA forum post (http://conraddamon.com/pdga/2011/FallingPutt.txt) the proposal was for flags/markers to mark a line on the fairway past which follow throughs / falling putts would not be allowed. That sort of marker would not be nearly as bad as a 30m circle. For narrow fairways, it would even be less work than painting 10m circles.

Funny stuff.

So we should allow jump putts because it's hard for beginners to do it correctly?

Then 400' drives should be outlawed, it's too hard for beginners to do. :wall:

I vote for allowing all falling putts just for simplicity. From 10 ft. and in I don't think it makes a difference if you can fall forward or not, they are going in most of the time. From 10-30 ft. I guess it could make it easier to putt for some but really I don't think it will affect it all that much.

That said part of me would like to see the current rule stand because it's quirky and something that makes our sport unique. I almost always like quirkiness, unless it's something that makes my life significantly more difficult.

this is stupid. you are all arguing with someone who has a troll guy avatar.

please lock thread.

Warning: don't take this too seriously

In a similar notion, would it be possible to get a bill in that ONLY allows jump putts? I mean if you can legitimately get rid of one style of putting outside of the circle.... you could propose getting rid of the other style.

I know... everybody is thinking, "but I can't jump over a piece of paper"... or "that old guy at leagues would break a hip"... or "that sounds dumb".

Yeah, that is how I feel about getting rid of jump putting. I feel that disallowing a technique is to limit the sport. I understand no jump putts in the circle because, otherwise, I would just be dunking every single putt inside of 18 feet.

Who is arguing, we are discusing thoughts on jump putts and stance rules. I enjoy learning what others who have been around longer than me think about these things and I'm also interested in new players thoughts.

I didn't get trolled, I understood that it wasn't really going to happen.

No big deal either way. I would probably lean towards eliminating jump-putting seeing as how most folks I have seen do it, do it incorrectly and let the disc go while both their feet are in the air. Not to mention how cheezy they look doing it. But I dont see many of them make the shot anyways, so not high on my priority list. If someone wants to flail themselves around and look uncoordinated to save a foot or two of distance so be it.

Call me Mr. Cheezy.... I am probably more accurate from 45 feet (probably about 25%) with a jump putt than from 25 feet with a push putt (probably like 20%). It makes no sense to me. I guess what it really means is that I need to be working on inside the circle.

I have been playing for 18 years in PDGA events and I must say that it is about time. Falling putts should be illegal as should jump putts. Very rarely does someone jump putt legally.

I use the jump putt myself, but always feel as though I am cheating doing so.

It looks ugly, it eliminates the skill of throwing a disc Instead you just launch it into the air.

This is a great idea. 100 feet and in makes sense. I kind of think this is a good idea. I would love to see the jump putt eliminated from the sport. And I use them quite a bit. Would be nice to have people throw the disc from 100 feet again.

This^.

I find this interesting. I had never really thought about what rules and amendments should be, or should not be, added to the game. I have only really started playing tournaments in the past year or so, so I haven't had to make many changes to the rules I know.

I have mixed feelings about the possibility of the jump putt being eliminated. I just jump sometimes, others I just stand and throw. I also feel that if the governing board is truly trying to improve the sport, then I am okay with proposing this. If someone just doesn't like jump putts and wants to see them gone... that is a different story. I used to think rollers were too easy....

1.) I missed you guys. It's been far too long.

2.) As someone said earlier, it's not about the jump-putting "rule", it's about all rules and enforcing them equally. The "problem" with our sport is WE as the players are ALSO the "referees". It's up to us as well informed players to enforce the rules. I've yet to play in a tourney or league round where ANY rules violations were called, other than the obvious OB, by anyone, including myself, when there have in fact been violations. It goes back to the problem of self regulation. You see a violation, but you don't want to be that guy, or you don't want someone else in your group to call you on something later on, so you let a small violation slide like moving an obstacle or making contact with your marker or a slight falling putt. As much as it sucks, we need to be more strict with each other and understand it's part of the game.

SO, if you see a player jump-putt illegally CALL HIM/HER on it. Let them know you believe it was illegal and why it was illegal and maybe they'll alter their putt and then BAM! no more rules violations the next go around.

I personally think these rules are an issue of fairness. Legal jump-putting is almost impossible to distinguish from illegal jump putting in terms of foot placement and release. I personally think it should be banned.

And I laugh at whoever wants to allow falling putts. With my 6'6" wingspan and 6'3" height I wouldn't miss another 10 foot putt again, even if there was a hurricane. That would be a massive advantage over the shorter players. Go ahead.

I love jump putters, them miss a majority of their putts trying to get fancy.

Ha, love it. I have yet to see a jump putt made in a tourney, on my card. Yet people do it all the time. I hit longer putts with my normal putting stroke, than they do jumping. and i finish just as close on a missed putt as they do jump putting....doesn't make any sense to me really, but to each their own, whatever works, etc.

I personally think these rules are an issue of fairness. Legal jump-putting is almost impossible to distinguish from illegal jump putting in terms of foot placement and release. I personally think it should be banned.

And I laugh at whoever wants to allow falling putts. With my 6'6" wingspan and 6'3" height I wouldn't miss another 10 foot putt again, even if there was a hurricane. That would be a massive advantage over the shorter players. Go ahead.

:popcorn:

No falling past your lie at any time except teeing-off. It's a simple rule that's easy to understand and easy to enforce. PROBLEM SOLVED.

1.)
SO, if you see a player jump-putt illegally CALL HIM/HER on it. Let them know you believe it was illegal and why it was illegal and maybe they'll alter their putt and then BAM! no more rules violations the next go around.

This is where you are wrong. That can never be the solution. If I make a call, I want to be certain that the other player did brake a rule. I don't want to call someone on something I think might have been a fault, that would lead to mess.

Then comes along jump putting. No one I know is able to tell on a regular jump putt when exactly was the disc release and more importantly, if the player still made contact with the ground. Therefore, you can't just start calling people on "it looks to my eye that your feet left the ground approx. 1/125th of a second before you released the disc.

So yeah, you can dislike jump putt, you can think they are unfair, but calling a foot fault, not really (unless you can somehow freeze time... I miss Heroes)

I guess I can think of three posibilities
1- make jump putt illegal by making the circle stupid big
2- leave the rules as they are and let people that can't jump putt complain
3- change the rules outside the circle and let people jump as they wish (like in Handball). Jump forward and release the disc whenever you want before you touch the ground again... I doubt throwing while in the air would really be that much of an advantage...

Honestly, I think all those 3 possibilities suck lol. Good think it's not my job to find a solution, if problem there is.

Allow them only outside the circle.. Now, what do you say? You are gonna stand still, jump forward like a mad men and get 2 meter closer to the basket (?) at which point you will have to release the disc before touching ground and be precise doing it. Would love to see that.