• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

End of Jump Putting as we know it

30m is beyond absurd, some divisions (juniors) maybe hardly even throw that far, off the tee. From 30m out, I am NEVER trying to put a disc in a basket. It would unfairly penalize people who have spent years developing a throwing style and would have to adjust. You may need to able to follow through in many situations inside 30m for safety- slippery snow covered ground, steep hillsides, etc. I don't think I'd sign up for a sanctioned event ever again if something like this were passed. Anyone else feel we need an iPhone/Android App with "status" updates for PDGA rules changes so we know when they change in the middle of a round?

Seems a bit like overreacting :thmbdown:. I believe they would have a safety loophole for hanging out on an icy cliff face while throwing. And we were talking about adults not juniors. And really depending on the lie after the basket I usually try and run it inside 100'. It would get rid of the flying, floundering, most of the times cheating (in almost every tournament I've been in and in casual rounds) art of jump putting. And before you say it sounds like jealousy on my part that I can't jump putt, I can, probably not as graceful as people that only do it and most times I can't tell if the disc left my hand before my foot did. I'd have to have someone let me know.

Eff this BS...I'ma be starting up the ATDPDGA, (Alcohol, Tobacco, and Dunk Putting, Disc Golf Association). Who's with me? :popcorn:
lil_jon_yeah11.jpg

ban jump-putts, rollers, thumbers, tomahawks, scoobies, turbos, 360s and forehands!!!

ban jump-putts, rollers, thumbers, tomahawks, scoobies, turbos, 360s and forehands!!!

This^If you want to get rid of the jump putt,and say it wasn't an intended shot,then all these shots would have to go also,they aren't the intended throws of a disc.

This is the best rules change proposal ever. Jump putts are incredibly difficult to call, this would really help with that.

I will be following this ruling . . . I don't want to say the jumpputt is bad it is just a different technique . . . however in my opinion what is conidered a green is currently 32' which is much to close in my opinion. This rule change could effectively really change the concept of par for disc golf and in my opinion in a good way. If you can hit inside of a 30m circle on your drive you should be allowed two shots for par . . . no matter the difficulty of those 30meters. Inside of 100' I plan to get up and down everytime . . . it doesnt always happen but that is my goal, just like if I am sitting outside of 20' on a golf green my goal is to two putt. If I make it great but I dont want to 3 putt. In disc golf this effectively calls the green 30 meters and you should get up and down inside of 100' 95-99% of the time in my opinion.

I can't wait to see the banter and I support anything that legitimizes the sport and makes par a more definable thing.

I know that this has probably been said many times but if you are jump putting, you are doing it wrong and committing an infraction. It should be putt jump.

I'll have to check next time I play, but I'm pretty sure I don't go past my marker. You have made me wonder though. I know I plant my foot but have never really thought about it after I release on long up shots. We could make it simple and just say no follow through outside of 30M. Pretty sure everyone can "stand and deliver" inside 100'.

I still like to follow through even inside 100' from a stand still throw.

As I read the PDGA thread, this is a non-issue; a proposal that didn't get traction. Did I misread it?

Personally I neither jump-putt (putt-jump), nor care. It's difficult to call, but of marginal benefit, especially at longer distances.

If a change were to be made outlawing follow-throughs to some distance greater than 10M, I'd hope it would be accompanied by wording clearer than "demonstrate balance". Otherwise, we'd be trading one hard-to-call action for another.

Jump putts are like highway speed limits: Most everyone breaks the law but as long as you're not too blatant about it, you won't get a ticket.

At least with speeding there's an objective way to identify a law breaker. I was watching some finals footage from Charlotte Worlds and it wasn't until I freeze-framed the video that I saw some really blatant jump putt violations. But no one calls that stuff, and it diminishes respect for the sport to leave it so fuzzy. We'd be better off allowing big, flying slam-dunk style putts instead. It'd be more entertaining, anyway. (Does anyone not look like a total goober in a jump putt photo?)

The idea of moving the limit out to 30 or 50 meters isn't the point, anyway. No one would measure or give a rip. "Hey, am I inside 30 meters?" "Sure, go for it!" <smirk> They just suggested a distance far enough out that jumping and putting, in whatever order, will make zero difference.

And yes, from closer in, jump putting does help. Otherwise, the pros wouldn't be doing it. You're trying to turn a 40-footer into a 20-footer by getting half the impetus from the jump. If it doesn't help, you haven't practiced it enough, or are already an awesome long range putter.

Jump putts are like highway speed limits: Most everyone breaks the law but as long as you're not too blatant about it, you won't get a ticket.

At least with speeding there's an objective way to identify a law breaker. I was watching some finals footage from Charlotte Worlds and it wasn't until I freeze-framed the video that I saw some really blatant jump putt violations. But no one calls that stuff, and it diminishes respect for the sport to leave it so fuzzy. We'd be better off allowing big, flying slam-dunk style putts instead. It'd be more entertaining, anyway. (Does anyone not look like a total goober in a jump putt photo?)

The idea of moving the limit out to 30 or 50 meters isn't the point, anyway. No one would measure or give a rip. "Hey, am I inside 30 meters?" "Sure, go for it!" <smirk> They just suggested a distance far enough out that jumping and putting, in whatever order, will make zero difference.

oddly enough it's the one thing I always call in a tournament.. I'm going to also start carrying a chunk from an old survey tape measure so when some of these guys try to pace off 10M and their last 3 steps are baby steps I can call them on that. Not being a rule nazi by any means, just really hate that someone shorts the circle and then does a Jump-putt instead of a putt-jump. It's also a great way to get into someone's head, by calling them everytime they fail, and like you said, most people can't do it right.

During ALL shots, you must have a support point on the ground behind your marker upon release.
Inside the circle, you must maintain all points of support behind the marker until the disc comes to rest in the basket or chains.

This is incorrect. There is nothing in the rule book that says you must maintain all points of support until the disc is resting. You must demonstrate balance before advancing towards the target.

The real problem with this sport is that their are so many people making up rules or not knowing the actual ones. I, for one, misinterpreted the "lost disc" rule in a tournament recently. But misinterpreted or not, I acknowledged that their were rules governing this sport and tried to follow them as best as I could. I was playing MA2, and I called foot faults every time I saw it. So what if it's only MA2? We have to follow the rules to have credibility. If I wanted a hobby, I'd build model cars. But I want to play a sport, and to me that's what disc golf is.

Latest posts