• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Explorer

It's literally the same shape as a Teebird in Lat plastic. It's a winner from my small experience with it. Definitely not beefy like some Teebirds, even though it had the sweeping fade of a new Teebird it had the glide of a good Teebird. Some champs I have thrown, both regular and T3 mold, are very OS where the HSS is more like a Firebird and they push into the fade very early and firmly. The Explorer wanted to glide and I look forward to trying one with the fade beaten out of it a bit. The difference is a fresh OS Teebird to me is not fun to throw...I want to beat it in until I can use it. The fresh Explorer was very usable.

Id say the same the one explorer I threw was more like a TL with a TB fade.

I've moved to throwing a 166g Explorer, and I feel like this lighter Explorer does the same thing for me that the max weight Explorer does for a power thrower. I can make it go straight if I want to, but I never have to worry about turning it over entirely. The lighter weight does make a little more touchy when I throw it with the forehand, but since I primarily throw backhand off the tee I like to have the ability to manipulate the disc a little more by going for a lighter disc. I really like how the Explorer continues to be a super reliable disc even at lower weights, whereas other discs I've tried in lower weights have often gotten unpredictable on me.

I got an Opto Explorer, really opaque 173g. It reminds me flight wise of a Champ Viking except maybe better glide. Mine still has a flashing bead that I'm wearing off but once it does it seems like it'll just get straighter and straighter. I've been throwing it with a little bit of hyzer and I've gotten a little bit of turn out of it but it comes back to hyzer quickly and just holds it, loves to fly a sweeping hyzer.

My options saint pros are starting to turn n burn on me. Is an explorer going to maybe hold a straighter line and finish left? I can get saint pros to about 350-360

how does this compare to the discmania fd (c line plastic), rival (icon plastic). I know that is real specific but those seem to be very close speed wise.

and what do the calipers say on the actual speed. measured my felons the other day and was surprised to see they were actually a hair bigger rim wise than my discmania pd's.

how does this compare to the discmania fd (c line plastic), rival (icon plastic). I know that is real specific but those seem to be very close speed wise.

I can't help you with numbers, don't have one to measure. But it is an exact Teebird replica based on my eyes and hands in direct comparison to Teebirds. Same dome, wing shape, everything. FD is much blunter on edge and has a slight convex bottom...it is noticeably designed as less HSS/more neutral, and I think a touch slower due to bluntness. Rival is flatter/sleeker to me although it flies like a Teebird clone. The main difference to me would be the life cycle based on the less durable Trilogy plastics, compared to star/champ as we all know how those beat in. That's not necessarily a concern to me though...I love beat in Teebirds.

FWIW I would call all of these discs speed 7 to me, based on rim feel and flight characteristics. I'm splitting hairs as much as I can without calipers and based on throwing.

I'm with you on the Felon...it has always felt a touch wider to me than a Firebird/Thunderbird/PD.

discmania fd (c line plastic), rival (icon plastic).

Opto explorer is comparable to a rival. They are both very close copies of mellow-ish non-meathook teebirds. In my opinion it comes down to plastic preference and feel. They'll all fly pretty similarly. I have only thrown max weight S-Fd's, so I can't comment on C-line. My explorers have more hss than S-fd's.

Anyone else have this problem? Or spark Vs explorer vs striker?

I just got a Saint Pro and Explorer and have really limited number of throws with both so far so take this with a grain of salt but my initial impression is that the Explorer has noticeable more HSS than the Saint Pro. It's not drastic, they're both straight, but the Saint Pro seems a bit more neutral than the Explorer. I'd be more tempted to throw the Explorer into a decent wind than I would the Saint Pro.

I have been lacking of a straight flying fairway driver. Years ago I had teebirds. But the rim felt too narrow and I had problems with clean releases. Then the thunderbird was released and it fitted my better in my hand and I switched to it. The problem with it was that it as quite a heavy fade. But i was okay with it. Just had to do the tunnel shots with mids. Now I bought few explorers for a test because they were said to be straight fliers.

I fell in love with this disc. It's just so straight flying disc. I get it to about 100 meters (330-350 in feet) and it has minimal fade. The mids I got in somewhere in 80 meters (~250-270 feet). So I really think this disc will improve my fairway game. I have been really testing it out field and training rounds. Not in a competitive situation yet.

I have been lacking of a straight flying fairway driver. Years ago I had teebirds. But the rim felt too narrow and I had problems with clean releases. Then the thunderbird was released and it fitted my better in my hand and I switched to it. The problem with it was that it as quite a heavy fade. But i was okay with it. Just had to do the tunnel shots with mids. Now I bought few explorers for a test because they were said to be straight fliers.

I fell in love with this disc. It's just so straight flying disc. I get it to about 100 meters (330-350 in feet) and it has minimal fade. The mids I got in somewhere in 80 meters (~250-270 feet). So I really think this disc will improve my fairway game. I have been really testing it out field and training rounds. Not in a competitive situation yet.

The explorer is an exact copy of the Teebird mold. Not sure they fly exactly the same. But they are identical in the hand, right down to the little ridge near the outside of the wing.
I do find the flight a little milder.

So you dont like the feel of a TB but you do like the Explorer? Same rim size, dome, diameter etc.

Yes, I know that. The rim width was a problem 3 years ago or when the thunderbird was released. That was the reason then for dumping teebirds. My game has evolved a bit so doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

The point was that explorer fits my game at the moment and I'm more than happy with it.

And one more thing about the rim width. I used to drive with bosses. Now I have switched to destroyers. So also in drivers I have come "one rim width" lower. Just seem to fit my hand better with this level I have.

The explorer is an exact copy of the Teebird mold. Not sure they fly exactly the same. But they are identical in the hand, right down to the little ridge near the outside of the wing.
I do find the flight a little milder.

Yep, that's true about the rim. If I'd need more stable fairway driver but not a meat hook, then I'd might go back to teebirds. They are all over the place, if I've understood it right. For overstable fairway drivers I have are felons and sparks. So if I'd need something in between.

Yes, I know that. The rim width was a problem 3 years ago or when the thunderbird was released. That was the reason then for dumping teebirds. My game has evolved a bit so doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

The point was that explorer fits my game at the moment and I'm more than happy with it.

And one more thing about the rim width. I used to drive with bosses. Now I have switched to destroyers. So also in drivers I have come "one rim width" lower. Just seem to fit my hand better with this level I have.

Explorer is a good disc. I am particular about the way a disc feels in my hand also.

too lazy to take pics of these euro tour stamped glows. but they look nice.

some observations: the dome is evenly rounded, no flat spots like the t bird, I would consider almost amazing the tooling on this disc. seamless transition.

flight: my arm has been sore and inconsistent so I didn't throw much. similar flights as my icon rivals. not as os as tbirds. very fast for a speed 7.

overall: after all the hype, and hearing that a lot of pros were digging these I suspected something special and I was right. better t bird- yes..

So... I was intrigued by the explorer but it wasn't a priority to try. However, today the guy that runs my local course had a bunch of tournament stamped discs for $5 and I happened across a 158 Opto air from BG Ams. I usually throw max weight but it was good enough looking and felt nice enough that I gave it a shot.

In the hand, it's a Teebird. Not a T3 for sure, but the feel is good. And at first it made me think of my first 165 DX Teebird when it was new.

It holds power fairly well, and gosh, I was impressed.

The flight has slight turn and a very mild fade, and though you can manipulate it some, it does the straight to mild fade thing very well.

I don't know if I'll bag it full time, but it will likely get a trip in my travel bag to see how I like it.

My friend who has a lot less power as able to throw it flat and straight about 250 easily, which is good for him. May end up in his bag when I done messing with it.

Really good addition from Lat64. Even if all they did was copy the Teebird lol.

Latest posts