• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Extracurricular games during dubs rounds

lines

Double Eagle Member
I have been running a dubs league for over two years. We average about 25-40 golfers depending on the time of the year. I normally run an ace pool and have been running a birdie pool too (I'm sick of the birdie pool). I am not a fan of ctp's since the majority of our other weeklies run those. Are there another fun games 'on the side' i could run that I'm unaware of? I would prefer something that did not accumulate $ week after week.

I have been running a dubs league for over two years. We average about 25-40 golfers depending on the time of the year. I normally run an ace pool and have been running a birdie pool too (I'm sick of the birdie pool). I am not a fan of ctp's since the majority of our other weeklies run those. Are there another fun games 'on the side' i could run that I'm unaware of? I would prefer something that did not accumulate $ week after week.

You could do skins. It might be a few minutes work at the end of the night though... If there are no skins, you could just give that pot to the overall winners for the night.

You could do skins. It might be a few minutes work at the end of the night though... If there are no skins, you could just give that pot to the overall winners for the night.

Hmmm... Maybe i could have an elimination challenge...
Randomly pick holes, one at a time after the round.... If you bird, Your team stays in until there is only 1 team left. Does that sound like it could work?
'Bill's birds'

We had a cool side game this season for three of our local leagues, all run by the same club, on different nights. Throughout the 15 week league season, 15 cool, numbered, bottle opener tokens were offered as CTP's. 5 tokens per league, one offered every three weeks. Tokens were gathered and drawn, bingo ball style for some impressive prizes. Top prize was a 500 dollar gift cert for a local disc shop, second prize was some nice Tiger tickets. Everyone present at the tournament that the drawing was done, won some kind of disc/shirt combo. 5 buck entry to the "special" CTP.

I thought it was a great promo to increase league play and try to do something a bit different. It obviously took a little hustle to round up a couple cool prizes.

My old bowling team would run a poker game during the rounds. Draw a card (or 2 depending on skill level) for every strike and at the end of the game the best poker hand won the pot. I don't know if it would translate well to a full league of golfers though.

If you want more fun for all of the players, it's always more work for you.
Big props to anyone who puts in that time.

If you want more fun for your and your card, propose a $1/each CTP amongst just your group. Can be on any hole. Players just need to opt in (or out) before any of the tee shots are thrown on that hole.

Another fun thing to do:
$1/each CTP after the round. Typically done when people are waiting around anyway, tallying scores, etc.
Again, opt in or out before any disc gets thrown.
If you wanted, you could offer a disc (or any other prize) instead of charging folks to throw.
Extra fun to have a CTP to just throw at, outside of any golf implications that it might have for your round score.

Another fun thing to do:
$1/each CTP after the round. Typically done when people are waiting around anyway, tallying scores, etc.
Again, opt in or out before any disc gets thrown.
If you wanted, you could offer a disc (or any other prize) instead of charging folks to throw.
Extra fun to have a CTP to just throw at, outside of any golf implications that it might have for your round score.

I like the idea of stuff going on post round at dubs. Man, last time my team had a shot at winning and waiting around forever for things to wrap up. :sick:

We run a 28-week long random doubles league. Not really a side game, but we do award "most valuable partner/player" trophies at the end of the year to the top five players based on accumulated points.

If your team is in the top four at the end of the night, you get points next to your name on the list (you would get points and your partner would get points).
First place = 3 points
Second place = 2
Third place = 1
Fourth = 0.5

It motivates people to keep coming to leagues throughout the season.

There's a catch though, once you accumulate 10 points, you earn a stroke!

PM me if you want the nitty-gritty details

If your course has plenty of OB you could run an "in bounds" challenge. This works better for singles than doubles, but the idea is that if you go OB at anytime in the round, then you mark the card and you are "out" of the in bounds pool. Whoever does not go OB over the course of the round splits the pot at the end of the round.

Mark out a bullseye with three zones (rectangle is fine) about 200' from a tee. Each player gets a toss. Inner most ring is 3, middle ring 2, outer ring 1 throw deduction from their team score (i.e Dub players A & B were 2 down for their round, player A gets the inner ring and a league score of -5, player B get outer ring, so a league score of -3).

Double birdie rule. Allow both players if they desire to attempt to finish both of their drives. If they both sink their putts for 2's, they get to record a '1' on their scorecard. (Do denote that this particular '1' was not an ace).

Bonus putt rule. If the first player on a team makes their putt from their chosen lie, allow the second player to attempt it as well. If they also make it, they get a bonus point, which doesn't affect stroke score any, but will serve as a tiebreaker at the end between teams with the same scores. If the second player misses, there is no bonus, but the hole is still considered completed.

Latest posts