• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finish fading right??

throwfromthewoods

Double Eagle Member
OK, this has been brought up I'm sure, but I'd like this answer to be a lot more specific to my throwing than a thread of a bunch of people saying, "Well, this is what I use for this shot, so you should."

I'm not a big D thrower, with Katanas and Vulcans I can nab 350. I'm a pretty technical thrower. I do great on low ceilings and tight fairways. I can handle an anny pretty well if it's a wide arc. Thumbers and sky hyzers are in my bag as well.

The one shot I can't seem to muster is a straight-out throw that turns and finishes slightly right at the end (for a RHBH). I get slight annys out of Stalkers and my beat FLX Buzzz but they always fade out left in the end. I tend to over-torque slower drivers like Sidewinders or Roadrunners and they anny out sharper than I intend.

I'm aware discs do not automatically allow you to throw how you want. I can manage and tweak technique how I need to with practice. What I'd be looking for is a mid or fairway disc that can fly like I need it to and be a good companion to learning the shot technique-wise. Thanks so much, guys.

Beat versions of "workable" drivers (i.e. Cyclone, Gazelle, Eagle-X, Cheetah, Polaris LS, ect.) in lower end plastics tend to be the easiest discs to control on shots like this. Beat versions of your putter and mid, again especially in low end plastics, should work, too.

That's all assuming you want to stick to backhand. Learning a decent forehand will cover a lot of these shots, too.

My best recommendation is to work on a forehand throw. No disc will naturally fade right for a RHBH. Every disc at low enough speed will fade left. You can use some technique to fake this. Try hyzer flipping those really flippy discs and they'll flip flat in a straight line and then move left to right. But to really get a true straight shot with right hand fade, the disc needs to be rotating in the opposite direction, meaning LHBH or RHFH.

Try a slower disc that has some high speed turn to it. something like a worn star leopard, GL River, roadrunner, or a something along those lines would be my suggestion. Something that does not take a huge rip to get a nice predictable slow turn out of. Like you said, there are a lot of disc that will do that shot for you.

There are three discs that I use to go right:

1.) Innova Stingray...always goes right
2.) Innova Cobra....when it gets beat in it just goes right for miles
3.) Innova Ontario Roc....this disc is my go to slight right turnover disc..when it gets really beat it just wants to go right until it loses speed and just drops ...sometimes I have to hyzer flip this disc because it it so beat..

If you overpower a Mako with a bit of hyzer it will go out straight and fade right at the end.

Beat versions of "workable" drivers (i.e. Cyclone, Gazelle, Eagle-X, Cheetah, Polaris LS, ect.) in lower end plastics tend to be the easiest discs to control on shots like this. Beat versions of your putter and mid, again especially in low end plastics, should work, too.

That's all assuming you want to stick to backhand. Learning a decent forehand will cover a lot of these shots, too.

This. I know the shot you are describing and I just put a worn in Cyclone back in my bag to cover that shot. Something that's pretty stable when new and flies relatively straight seems easier to control an an anhyzer or turnover for me, because they tend to resist turning over too hard like more understable molds do. I find Leopards to work well too because once worn in they hold a right turn pretty easily, not taking a ton of power to achieve that turn.

Also you mention you throw the Buzz. Try picking up a D Buzz and letting it wear in some. D Buzzes are less stable than premium Buzzes and can do a decent gentle right turn.

Whatever you choose look for something slower and in base plastic.

This may be stating the obvious, but since no one has mentioned it exactly...You need to throw a hyzer flip shot. Something you punch straight ahead with hyzer angle producing a shot that travels straight as the disc fights it's way to flat and then finishes turning to the right (RHBH).

As others have mentioned, you need a genuinely understable disc to execute this shot best. This gives you some predictability and forgiveness as you are sure the disc is going to turn right at some point and hold...exactly when it turns is fine tuned by speed, height, and amount of hyzer on the release.

since you're throwing an FLX buzzz already, try an elite-X buzzz. I just picked one up, threw it straight up a couple times (10 maybe, handfull of forehand rollers) in a hard field and presto! right finishing buzzz. even fresh it was flying straight, very little fade out of box when thrown flat. it took suprisingly little to break it in.

btw, i normally throw mids at max wt (177-180), my X buzzz is 171.

^^^^^
This.
Also try an Avenger SS in z plastic. Finishes to the right every time for me....

This may be stating the obvious, but since no one has mentioned it exactly...You need to throw a hyzer flip shot. Something you punch straight ahead with hyzer angle producing a shot that travels straight as the disc fights it's way to flat and then finishes turning to the right (RHBH).

I completely agree with this. I will even go as far as to say that once you really figure out a hyzer flip, you can learn to vary the amount of forward distance the disc travels before turning to the right by giving it varying amounts of hyzer angle.

If Sidewinders or Roadrunners are going to the right too soon for ya, try throwing them with a small amount of hzyer and they will travel straight for a while before turning. Keep experimenting with them with hyzer angles. You may find that they will fade when hyzer-flipped though, which is where the posts like garublador's about worn discs come in. Stable discs that are worn most likely won't have the fade that the Sidewinders or Roadrunners probably have.

I agree that the stingray is the disc you're looking for it is the most pradictable disc to slowly and accurately finish to the right. I would get a weight around 170g.

As others have mentioned, you need a genuinely understable disc to execute this shot best. This gives you some predictability and forgiveness as you are sure the disc is going to turn right at some point and hold...exactly when it turns is fine tuned by speed, height, and amount of hyzer on the release.

^^^ What he said... with a beat X Comet.

I vote to support this totally.

I would suggest using a mid-range driver to learn this shot. I don't know how narrowly defined a category it is, but to me these are mids that tend to be faster than some mids, have a little high speed turn and good glide. Some examples would include Cobras, Comets, Stingrays, and Meteors. And you really don't lose a lot of distance compared to fairway drivers, but you gain a lot more control over the flight of the disc.

I use a gateway Element for this ... nice and understable and will turn more right the more you break it in. Turns into a great hyzer flip turner and has a ton of glide (too much at times if you're on a shorter hole with water 10' or less behind the basket:wall: )

Latest posts