• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flat vs. Domey

traumadiver

Bogey Member
Alright, I am a noob but can some one break down the difference in flight patttern between a flat topped driver and a domey one? Is one more/less stable?

from my experience it's not really something that's across the board, the PLH has more to do with it. but if you want a basic look at it usually the flatter the more stable.

What he said^^, but Lat64 and MVP discs (that I have tried at least) seem to be the opposite with domey being more stable than their flatter counterparts.

What is PLH?

Parting line height.

I think as far as domey-ness vs. flatness affecting stability it varies largely depending on the mold.

For example, domey wraiths have more high speed turn than the flat ones. I think it's the exact opposite for other molds (although I couldn't tell you for sure which ones)...I think domey rocs act more overstable.

In Dave D's patent that everyone licensed, the claim is that as the disc spins faster, the flight plate becomes more domey, which increases stability. But we've all noticed that in at least some molds, flatter tops equal more stability. It's still abit mysterious even for the manufacturers. And as a physics degreed fool, I can testify that fluid dynamics is some pretty gnarly physics. Sooooo, good luck and stuff ...

2 forces are working against one another regarding dominess.
Dominess adds lift which will increase glide and understability unless mitigated by a bead or a thick rim.
Dominess decreases speed which can hinder speed generated lift and understability.

Also the more spins or revolutions a disc makes the more understable it will perform. Tons of spin will keep an overstable disc straight and tons of spin on an understable disc will cause it to flip over into it's flight.

2 forces are working against one another regarding dominess.
Dominess adds lift which will increase glide and understability unless mitigated by a bead or a thick rim.
Dominess decreases speed which can hinder speed generated lift and understability.

Also the more spins or revolutions a disc makes the more understable it will perform. Tons of spin will keep an overstable disc straight and tons of spin on an understable disc will cause it to flip over into it's flight.

My own experience would agree with what you say, but Blake T, for example, insists tha t more spin will make any disc hold its line rather than turn or fade. So I think he would disagree that more spin makes an understable dis turn over. If I'm not mistaken, he would say that's all due to forward speed overwhelming the amount of spin, however increased it may be.

Jen throw a disc rhbh
imagine the disc spinning and traveling into a headwind
the right side of the disc will have less air moving past it as it is moving with the wind
the left side of the disc will have more air moving past it as it is moving against the wind
apply principles of lift as they pertain to wind moving accross a wing
the left side lifts as more windspeed generated lift is generated
naturally the disc eventually turns right
as the disc slows down the disc will fade back left

I agree snap and spin will fight fade but it does not fight hi speed turn

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz51GPGF3E9GL__AA280_.jpg

I'll take my rocs and teebirds flat and my comets domey.

SO true. SOOO true. i dont throw any of those 3 molds, but OP if you want the correct answer to the "best" of any mold you need to read, read, read. if you plan on having the "best" versions of each disc, it will fluctuate a lot. so like i said, read and read and read, then read some more.

for instance, you want domey opto flows. you also want CAL mold 11x teebirds, flat rocs, (non) blunt nosed gators, flat buzzz', domey comets, san marino vs. ontario rhynos, 4th AKA new run ions vs any other earlier [opaque] run, etc. etc. etc.

basically, read some more:)

Latest posts