• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Foot Faults at World by Stokely

Beginning of that video reminded me of the "Loose Change" documentary and the end needed a Sarah mclachlan overlay.

Stand and deliver would solve a lot of problems...but it is a skill to hit your mark on a run up as it is a skill to throw from a standstill. If people are not willing to learn how to hit their mark in the fairway I somehow doubt they would be as motivated to learn how to throw from a standstill.

I still vote for stand and deliver

How far was he from the mini is the question, right? He has 11.8 inches opposite the target, which has been stated is way right out of the frame. Anything not on that line constitutes a foot fault and can be called any time. The second angle looks to be much closer to faulting.

The video posted from behind stokely shows he didn't foot fault. The basket was to the right, he ran at a sideways angle throwing an anhyzer and planted his foot to the left which is the line of play with the basket.

I agree, stand and deliver would eliminate much of the rules concern, but would it be as much fun?

Last edited:
The video posted from behind stokely shows he didn't foot fault. The basket was to the right, he ran at a sideways angle throwing an anhyzer and planted his foot to the left which is the line of play with the basket.

I concure with this. The basket was to his right.

In a very Smart Alek kind of manner, I propose carrying a ruler, if you play with Climo, to place behind the mini, or disc, BUT, contacting the back edge of the marker IN LINE with the basket. For video review from here on out, we can concentrate on the foot placement in relation to the ruler. If you are NOT stepping on the ruler, you committed Foot Fault. Climo wins. :)

What fun would it eliminate? Some long open holes would be more difficult but they aren't as interesting as technical holes. And maybe it would end the trend for longer and longer holes which aren't fun for beginners and noodle arms.

In a very Smart Alek kind of manner, I propose carrying a ruler, if you play with Climo, to place behind the mini, or disc, BUT, contacting the back edge of the marker IN LINE with the basket. For video review from here on out, we can concentrate on the foot placement in relation to the ruler. If you are NOT stepping on the ruler, you committed Foot Fault. Climo wins. :)

Maybe make it so the "ruler" flips the marker.

"801.04 Courtesy
B. Players should watch the other members of their group throw in order to aid in locating errant throws and to ensure compliance with the rules."

Watch your foot to make sure you are within (x) amount of cm of the distance from the mini and on the LOP or watch the disc? :doh: Head down or head up?

Stand and deliver or open up the required distance behind the mark.

I never runup for second shot. Always found it weird that you were allowed to. Also find the jump putt strange. I stand within foot reach of the marker and throw.

After all this I don't think a rules change is necessary. 30cm just isn't difficult to hit if that's your first focus, and if you can't comfortably do that, don't do a run up. Doesnt seem to be a huge issue overall

Stand and deliver would solve sooooooo many problems. Only allow run-ups on the teepad.

That is an interesting idea, one that I like on first thought. I have been guilty in the past on my upshots when using a run up. I even did just as suggested and started doing my upshots from a stand. My scores actually improved for a while too, Only recently have I started using an X step for longer upshots. But I always step it off a couple of times to make a strong effort to be behind my lie.

Good discussion here.

Rick G

I really don't see the cons to stand and deliver

-All but eliminates the foot-fault in field driving and in the jump putt
-Eliminates all controversy around the jump-putt
-makes holes and long putts more challenging, which makes the scoring more impressive at the big events.

If I want to keep playing DG from November through April, which I always do, I oftentimes have to play in snow ranging from 1 to 3 feet deep. There's no chance of a runup at any course except possibly one or two select teeboxes. It's stand and deliver or nothing at all.

During these snowy months, S&D seems to be much harder on my, and everyone elses, backs, than using a runup. I think it has to do with your feet being planted (at the moment of release) much moreso than during a runup. The runup allows for your body's lower half to follow through much more than when using a stand still. In S&D, your top half's ability to rotate is very restricted and can result in severe back pain, especially when golfing multiple rounds.

Some amount of this extra lower back strain is probably just from fighting the extra layers of clothing, but the effect from S&D is undeniable for me.

I know there are some folks who just S&D fine without injury, but I suspect they are merely strong-arming the discs, instead of using rotation beginning from the feet and moving upwards.

That probably made no sense.. but regardless; S&D can't be the solution or else I'm unfortunately not going to be able to play much tournament golf anymore. I doubt I'm the only one. We should aim for changes that make the existing rules fairly enforceable, not changes that totally change the dynamics of a fairway shot.

S&D seems to be much harder on my, and everyone elses, backs, than using a runup. I think it has to do with your feet being planted (at the moment of release) much moreso than during a runup. The runup allows for your body's lower half to follow through much more than when using a stand still. In S&D, your top half's ability to rotate is very restricted and can result in severe back pain, especially when golfing multiple rounds.

... but regardless; S&D can't be the solution or else I'm unfortunately not going to be able to play much tournament golf anymore. I doubt I'm the only one. We should aim for changes that make the existing rules fairly enforceable, not changes that totally change the dynamics of a fairway shot.
Yep, the mechanics of having to throw harder in S&D which is a bit S&M.

Slight drift but why not. Anyone else bothered by these videos Stokely makes while driving his car? Especially in light of Ms. Hokoms accident, which may have involved a distracted driver.

After watching the new video angle from behind Scott, I now agree these were pretty easy stance violations to call. (I say stance violation because I don't believe the words "foot fault" are even in the book).

Then I watch the women's final 9 with an eye on foot place... and WOW... Scoggins faults on nearly EVERY though when not standing still. THe gals need to start paying attention.

Slight drift but why not. Anyone else bothered by these videos Stokely makes while driving his car? Especially in light of Ms. Hokoms accident, which may have involved a distracted driver.
Guess you haven't seen the McBeast Diaries. :\

Stand and deliver would solve a lot of problems...but it is a skill to hit your mark on a run up as it is a skill to throw from a standstill. If people are not willing to learn how to hit their mark in the fairway I somehow doubt they would be as motivated to learn how to throw from a standstill.

I still vote for stand and deliver

You are voting to eliminate the run up on all shots? I hope you are being that extreme for dramatic effect and not as a real solution, lol.

Anyone comment about this shot during the final 9. This was not called.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 152
Anyone comment about this shot during the final 9. This was not called.

If you took a freeze frame of every shot there would be hundreds of "foot faults."If the players didn't call it (Either missing it or did not care) then that is that.

I couldn't really tell where the video of the OP has the disc and cannot really say where the marker was.

I am torn on the idea of no sunup after the drive. It would be a huge change to the game but I kind of like it. It makes the initial drive a big BOOM and everything after a good control game. I started doing it on my own and even started doing a lot of standstill on the tee pad. I could see a lot more forehand throws being used.