• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form check for intermediate player trying to reach "pro" level

jg980

Hello! I have been playing for some time now, and have spent a lot of time practicing and developing my form. At this point i feel like i may have plateaued, and although i am satisfied with the level at which i am able to play with this technique, i would like to see my self being able to throw a bit further, and with a more consistent release point.

The throws in these videos equal about 330 feet of power, which i feel like i should be able to beat with this form. (note: in an open field i am able to throw around 400 feet consistently).

I am grateful for any tip or criticism that has merit to it, and also acknowledgements of the things that i may be doing correctly (which is also important to be aware of).

If anyone wants more videos, different angles or wants to coach me for a period of time, feel free to get in touch. :eek::clap:

Heres the link to my slow motion drives: https://imgur.com/a/ndM4VOM

Just my opinion only, but if you want to have "pro" distance (i.e. have the distance to have a good shot at birdie on pro-level courses), you'd probably need to have 450' on command. It seems many of the pro courses have many required throws of at least 400' to either landing spots or just to be pin-high on a par 3. Up at this distance range, for me, anyways, controllable and repeatable distance seems to be ~50' less than max distance.

Something good that you are doing is having your right foot pointed forwards, towards the target, and left foot pointed backwards during the x-step.

Something to work on - you are reaching max arm extension during the reachback before you plant, and are actually pulling and beginning the throw before you plant. This loses out on some distance - most long throwers I see reach max extension right before the plant foot heel comes down, and they begin their throw with the plant foot fully planting into the ground.

If fixing SW22's problem of being too staggered in the plant doesn't help timing, try holding the disc closer to your body during the initial part of the run-up. Geometrically I think that lengthens the distance your arm has to travel to hit full extension, which may help timing. Holding it closer to the body helped my timing tremendously.

Just my opinion only, but if you want to have "pro" distance (i.e. have the distance to have a good shot at birdie on pro-level courses), you'd probably need to have 450' on command. It seems many of the pro courses have many required throws of at least 400' to either landing spots or just to be pin-high on a par 3. Up at this distance range, for me, anyways, controllable and repeatable distance seems to be ~50' less than max distance.

Something good that you are doing is having your right foot pointed forwards, towards the target, and left foot pointed backwards during the x-step.

Something to work on - you are reaching max arm extension during the reachback before you plant, and are actually pulling and beginning the throw before you plant. This loses out on some distance - most long throwers I see reach max extension right before the plant foot heel comes down, and they begin their throw with the plant foot fully planting into the ground.

If fixing SW22's problem of being too staggered in the plant doesn't help timing, try holding the disc closer to your body during the initial part of the run-up. Geometrically I think that lengthens the distance your arm has to travel to hit full extension, which may help timing. Holding it closer to the body helped my timing tremendously.
Thank you for your insightful feedback! Will try this and post back after some time :)

If I may ask, how long did it take you to before you felt that your timing improved as a result of keeping you disc closer to the body?

Thank you for your insightful feedback! Will try this and post back after some time :)

If I may ask, how long did it take you to before you felt that your timing improved as a result of keeping you disc closer to the body?

Instantly. I film myself often when I try new things for form, and holding the disc against my body resulted in a later full-arm extension. I think the timing and speed are still the same as before, so nothing really felt like it changed. However, the distance the disc had to travel to get to the same position increased, so it simply took longer for me to reach max extensions with the same timing "feel". There was no transition time to get this down - it instantly changed my "timing".

Latest posts