• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

GB Spider and Squirrel Monkey

Chocbeermaker

Tired of carrying a Tourney bag and 20+ discs for casual rounds. I'm on the hunt for a smaller bag and I've narrowed the search to either the Spider or Squirrel Monkey. If anyone has any pictures of those bags, loaded, in use etc...or input about either one I'd could use some help. I did some digging here and on the web, didn't turn up much more than the limited pictures on the GB website.

Thanks in advance
Michael

Qikly, I appreciate the help, apparently I can't search the forums any better than I can spell

Michael

Decent vid of the Spider Monkey on YouTube. Nothing for the Squirrel, I check all the time. I've been looking for side by side pics of each myself from all angles. Could only find pics of them facing forward. It's taking me longer to decide which one I want than it does to get one.

Qikly, I appreciate the help, apparently I can't search the forums any better than I can spell

No sweat! I'd remembered Mr Glass posting those photos a while back during a discussion we had in the thread, so it wasn't too hard to track that post down. Found the others along the way. I remember how much I was jonesing for pics of the Simian when I was determining whether to pull the trigger, so I can empathize.

Decent vid of the Spider Monkey on YouTube. Nothing for the Squirrel, I check all the time. I've been looking for side by side pics of each myself from all angles. Could only find pics of them facing forward. It's taking me longer to decide which one I want than it does to get one.

From what I understand, the difference is mostly in the amenities (extra drink holder, front pocket, etc), just in case that helps at all. Putter pocket might be bigger on the Squirrel.

This is making me think again about getting one myself. It'd be nice to have a small companion to my Simian.

No pics, but I have been using a Squirrel Monkey for more than a year. Putter pocket starts out tight but now comfortably holds two putters. Main bag fits five drivers and four mids / putters comfortably, but you could probably squeeze 10 discs in the main compartment if needed.

I have been very happy with the Squirrel Monkey, and use it almost exclusively. I do have a Revo Tournament bag for, well, tournaments. Even for tournaments I usually use the Squirrel Monkey unless I am worried about losing discs and need to carry back-ups.

In the summer I appreciate the SM's two drink holders; in the winter I can cram a windbreaker or extra shirt into the second drink holder.

I hope that helps.

GB makes quality bags. My upholsterer brother in law says the quality of the bag material is top notch and the workmanship is tight. My only issue with the squirrel monkey when I'm carrying bulky stuff in the front pocket, it makes putting 2 putters in the pocket a bit of a hassle. Had my bag for over 2 years and it's still in great shape, no rips or tears and the stitched seams are holding up well considering I cram 4 drivers, 4 mids, putter in main compartment, 2 putters in the pouch, and a whippet in the sleeve.

I've had my Squirrel Monkey for years, and it still looks brand new (if I were to clean it up a little). The most discs I could fit in it was 13. 9 in the main compartment, 2 in the pocket, and 2 in the putter pocket.

I've since moved on to carrying a backpack style bag, but I will break out the Squirrel Monkey for shorter courses.

I've had both a Squirrel Monkey and a Silverback by GB. Both were absolutely top notch in workmanship, design, and durability.

I sold the Squirrel a while back when low on funds and have kicked myself over it pretty much since.

The ONLY downside to the Squirrel, in my opinion, is that the discs flight plates sit parallel to your back, so if the bag's not mostly full, there's a lot of back-and-forth slapping of the discs when walking. Minor annoyance at worst, and a not an issue if the bag is at or near capacity.

I have a squirrel monkey, spider monkey and juju. It is a close competition between the spider monkey and juju, because I love them both. The juju has a bigger side pocket (fits six cans) and the spider monkey carries one more disc. I don't use the squirrel monkey much due to the lack of storage and if I want to carry 2 water bottles, I use my silver back with quads. By the way, my silver back is my favorite bag hands down. I even preffer it over my grip.

I have the spider monkey, sorry no pics on me. It comfortably carries 3 distance drv, 3 FWD, and 3 mids in main. Only one putter though. I want another drink holder for my speaker, but get by hanging it off the side. Have considered the squirrel monkey for the little bit more room.