• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Getting rid of smoker-smell?

Wouldn't rubbing alcohol do the same thing, and cost a lot less?

Or do you mean drink Vodka until i stop caring about the smell? :D

Not sure if it matters but rubbing alcohol is isopropanol whereas vodka is ethanol. I don't remember enough chemistry to know if that would make a difference.

I'm 100% with you on this (the smell being 'raised' out of the material with heat). I think it's why I didn't notice it until I bought the discs and stuck them in my bag, which resides in the back of the car.

The offending discs spent the afternoon in the warm sun. At one point, I washed them in rubbing alcohol, and for about half an hour, they had no smell, but more time in the sun brought more of the smell to the surface, although it seems much less now.

This might require repeated washings or more than 4+ hours in the sun.

I'll keep everyone informed.

cigarette smell does go away eventually if you use the disc enough.

I bought a disc that was so pugnent cigarette smelling my wife almost threw it away.

but the disc was so money (FAF champ firebird) so I did the vinegar bath + sun + heavy summer play use - it eventually faded. took a whole season of heavy play.

I have had okay luck with putting the disc in the sun, then putting it in a ziplock bag full of baking soda. Alternating sunny day and locking it in ziplock a couple of times. And then leaving the disc in the ziplock for a year or longer (seriously).

I've had DX discs that this method (almost) completely removes the smell. Others it just makes the smell much less. This method works on premium plastic, but not quite as effective.

the-smelly-car-pic.png

It's the Beast!

Denture cleaner. You can get generic brand for cheap. Drop a few tabs in a bucket with a few inches of water and let the disc soak over night.

I have had okay luck with putting the disc in the sun, then putting it in a ziplock bag full of baking soda. Alternating sunny day and locking it in ziplock a couple of times. And then leaving the disc in the ziplock for a year or longer (seriously).

I've had DX discs that this method (almost) completely removes the smell. Others it just makes the smell much less. This method works on premium plastic, but not quite as effective.

^^^This. Maybe the year bit in the bag is a bit extreme, but the sun seems to allow the smell to leach to the exterior of the disc and baking soda is the best for soaking up smells (my work clothes reek after one shift and baking soda in the wash w/ detergent gets it out when just washing with detergent will leave some of the stink). Smell in plastic will probably never come out all together, but the above method at least is the best I have found and doesn't require wasting you "high quality" jug of vodka.

Definitely leave it outside for a week or so especially if its breezy outside.

I heard that some people use baking soda, coffee or vinegar in cars. Maybe this works with discs as well.

What this really shows though is that plastics should not be present in your kitchen, you just can't get that stuff clean.

I thought I'd give an update.

This problem was most affecting two particular discs; a Soft Challenger and an S-Line FD.

I subject both to the same stuff. Washed both with Dawn dish detergent, and used a Magic Eraser sponge. It didn't make them stop smelling, but MAN are they clean and grippy.

1 hour in a bath of hot water with 1/4 cup baking soda dissolved in it.

4 or so hours in the sun.

15 minutes in a bath of 1/4 cup white vinegar diluted in 6 cups water.

Repeated 4 hours of sun.

Maybe 15 minutes in rubbing alcohol. This started to eat away at the gold foil stamp of the challenger, and temporarily got rid of all smell, but the smell returned...

2 hours in bag with baking soda.

Several days in a hot sun room (I was busy doing other stuff this weekend).

8 more hours in direct sunlight, flipping discs every few hours (as I remembered).

After this, the Challenger no longer smells like cigarettes. It smells vaguely of crappy car air freshener, weirdly.

The FD still has trace amounts of cigarette smoke smell, but it's VERY faint. And when I say 'very faint', understand, I am super sensitive to that smell and hate it.

My guess is another day or two, and the smell will be essentially undetectable. We'll see.

Last edited:

Latest posts