• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glow golf for dummies

Overall, I had fun, but especially the two elements of the un-illuminated baskets and the idiots with flashlights really put a damper on the experience, for me.

Baskets not lit? How the heck do you know where to throw? That is a strange one for sure, we always hang a light inside and have it pointing down. Closest I have heard to a complaint is to use weaker flashlights as sometimes they are too bright.

And those with white light flashlights really do ruin glow golf. If it is ever someone in our group I will politely chat with them about it and offer my UV light for use in charging or finding discs. Heck, sometimes I carry two UV flashlights for scenarios like this and let them borrow one for a round. Thanks for the recap of your night. :thmbup:

Other people's lights are the most annoying thing of disc golf and baskets should be lit. We have some led lights in baggies that we just place on top of the baskets. The small battery operated string of lights works well to just cast a nice glow down on the chains. We have discatchers so the band stops the direct white light from the leds from being seen.

Yeah, I think it's a macho "back in the day we didn't have fancy lights" thing from a couple of the old timers that control things. I'd even settle for a band of glow tape on the pole...you wouldn't see it on your drive but you could charge it before you putt with a UV light.

Baskets not lit? How the heck do you know where to throw?

Hit it with your flashlight, line up your putt, go dark, throw. Repeat as necessary. If the previous 3 players didn't blast it with a nuclear fusion powered LED spotlight and toast your night vision it wouldn't be so bad, on a clear moonlit night in the open.

Hit it with your flashlight, line up your putt, go dark, throw. Repeat as necessary. If the previous 3 players didn't blast it with a nuclear fusion powered LED spotlight and toast your night vision it wouldn't be so bad, on a clear moonlit night in the open.

Yeah....baskets not being lit is silly. A small couple bulb led clipped to the top spokes, hanging straight down the pole is great. Does not mess with night vision and gives you a target off the tee. Shining down the fairway with a flashlight is a big no-no round here. People with non UV flashlights are the worst part of glow. Sounds like you had fun, good to hear.

Kicking off our glow season this Thursday. We ease into it, by timing half of the holes in the daylight, and half are lit up for glow, till daylight savings time ends.

NEBO Larry lights are perfect for glow. Easy to set up and bag for the last card. Magnetic base and back, so they can either stick on the inside of the chastity belt or flat against the pole on non-banded baskets. Rugged and waterproof.

For glow discs, we prefer UV flashlights (the visible light they let off doesn't mess with night vision like a spot light) but haven't banned normal lights (might this season...) Flat LEDs are the way to go, though. Never has the group scouring the ground for lost discs, and being able to clearly see the tron-like flight is enjoyable for the entire card. With glow discs, the person throwing has a sense where it's going, but most everyone else is like, "I lost it.", "didn't see it finish.", "she gone!", etc. Try Gorilla Tape's clear Fix, Patch & Seal, the LED will never fall off, is waterproof and reappliable so you can adjust the light if you're off center.

boss-larry-flashlight-work-light-magnetic-base-piping.jpg

shopping

First round last night. In case anyone cares, here's the takeaways:

-for some reason, the fossils that run the league are anti-lit-baskets. This, to me, almost ruined the night. It's just not fun pitching at the basket blind in the dark woods and 4-putting.

-glow discs work great, so far I see no need for lights. The Discraft glows weren't amazing but never spent any appreciable time looking for them.

-for an OS/forehand driver I used a Star Thunderbird with glow tape. The glow tape glowed better than any of the glow discs. It was a dry night, we'll see if the adhesive holds up to rain golf.

-The Thunderbird also fluoresces under UV, which is great for finding it, but also means you're liable to blind yourself while charging the glow tape.

-every one of the "UV" lights that people used still has a LOT of visible spectrum light, which means you're going to get your night vision trashed by people charging discs, and even if you don't....

-...everyone brought their umpteen billion lumen LED white flashlights instead of a more appropriate dimmer, red light for pathfinding, and used them all the time, so night vision never really got a chance.

Overall, I had fun, but especially the two elements of the un-illuminated baskets and the idiots with flashlights really put a damper on the experience, for me.

I use a small green LED light thing that clips onto the hat I am wearing so I can keep night vison I used to use that little light for my running before getting a high power 200 lumen light for a trail beyond marathon distance race that I knew would be running in the night. Now I use bigger for running as on trails at night I needed something more. I still use the little green light for Night Disc Golf where the movement is not as fast to preserve my night vision when putting. I think I could do the same with the big light but it is awkward for trying to play at night with that big Black Diamond thing that takes 4 AA.

As for glow discs... Nothing compares to Kastaplast glow plastic. It's so bright, it lit up my car when I had a disc in there at night. Hands down the brightest and holds the best charge out of any glow plastic I've ever seen.

Gave ROgre style glow a try tonight. 9 holes (cut out the ones with lots of climbing up/down and the gnarliest rough). Put a little glow stick/chemlight bracelet around the pole of each basket. No "beacons of Gondor" white LED flashlights, just me and my red light. Putting was much less frustrating, and it was waaay easier to find discs without the white lights constantly killing night vision. Even found myself making a lot of throws without re-charging my disc because I could see so much better.

Also it is pretty spooky out in the woods solo at night with the wind blowing.