• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Go to distance disc for those who throw under 400ft

I forgot about Renegades.

Those things are flippy and not too fast.

This is what I was thinking.
Renegade or Tern.

I prefer the smaller rim of the Renegade.
But the nice thing about the Tern, is you get 2 different disc flight out the same mold, just by switching between Star and CH

I throw a Star Wraith as my distance driver. It's fairly easy to throw and can be put on any line. Flies nice.

Early run 150g blizzard Katana. The ones that still have the bubbles in the middle. I can not only throw this farther than anything else, but I can also control this disc very well!

I gotta go with Sorcerer on this one. Like all European distance drivers, it is a bit nose sensitive but that makes it a good teaching tool for the intermediate player.

Does anyone have much experience with Swords? I threw a broken in one twice one evening and it flew like a very mellow/beat Destroyer...mild ride right and very mellow sweeping end on about 375'. Do they get pretty flippy? And can they compete with a Tern type disc for all out D or are they more of a control D like a Destroyer for someone who can throw real far?

:hfive:
Does anyone have much experience with Swords? I threw a broken in one twice one evening and it flew like a very mellow/beat Destroyer...mild ride right and very mellow sweeping end on about 375'. Do they get pretty flippy? And can they compete with a Tern type disc for all out D or are they more of a control D like a Destroyer for someone who can throw real far?

I don't really think they're a great max D disc. I've had 4. They have their spot but really only like to be thrown flat. They fly like a really long fast mid. Thrown hyzer they stay hyzer. Thrown flat they're straight and thrown any they hold it and don't really flex out at all. The older run I had I could flip but they wouldn't go near as far as the sorcerrer or tern. More of a control D faster tee bird type disc I'd say. But not as good in the wind.

Thanks, that makes sense and I bet this one was pretty beat to get the flight I saw. Opto/VIP is tricky because it looks ok after use but they still act beat. I figured as much about the wind too.

Star Tern is my max distance disc but I can throw my 150 class Champ Teebirds almost as far and they are a lot more consistent. The teebirds are even good into a light headwind. With the Tern, you just never know. If there is any doubt, I'm throwing the 'bird.

I haven't come across too many domey gstar drivers outside of the factory store Gazelles

My Destroyer has a heartbeat pop top. It's also a great control distance driver for someone in the 350-400' range as it's not as beefy as fresh star Destroyers. It won't get the ride/forward fade of something less stable like a Tern, but it's definitely a worthwhile distance driver for golf distance in this power bracket.

Either autocorrect, or a term I've never seen before.

The latter. Its the heartbeat sound that the disc makes when you push in the dome on a pop top. Feldberg described testing discs for heart beat to find good beefy OS drivers "with heart."

I think it was in one of his latest ITBs.

I top out around 350+ and I get there most consistently with my production daedalus and almost as far with my max weight terns but the daedalus feels better in my big ET hands. My absolute longest drives are hyzerflipping a 150 starlite tern or prototype daedalus but too much can go wrong to attempt those in a serious round. I seem to be the only one bagging either mold of the daedalus...

Latest posts