• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good beginner driver

Comet or fuse to get started. Good form teachers. Also a good beginner disc that is often overlooked in my opinion is the lat64 spike. It's right between a putter and a mid. It helped me quite a bit. Just my experience and opinion.

TL, Leopard, Teebird (less popular, but still viable, choices include the Gazelle, Eagle-L, or Stalker) ... pick one; all are fairway drivers (slower, easier to control, more predictable) that can go very very far when thrown with good form. I have both a 171g Champion TL and 175g Star Teebird in my bag and, between the two, could probably use them for all my driving duties under 350ft; though there are discs far more preferable for anyhyzers ... such as the Roadrunner :)

Last edited:
Latitude 64 Diamond is nice.

You also cannot go wrong with a Innova DX Cheetah or Leopard.

Lastly, you may also try the Innova Archangel or Dragon if you're talking about first TRUE distance driver.

I started out flicking and threw a Wraith, which I really loved. I started backhanding a year ago and started out with a 172g Star Sidewinder and have recommended it to every beginner I've played with ever since. Once you get the basics down, it makes a very predictable s-turn

Listen to JoshuaJames: Latitude Opto Diamond. It has a flight similar to a seasoned Leo, but will keep those characteristics WAAAY longer than DX plastic. Opto plastic is incredibly durable; my months old disc, which has tasted wood, fence, concrete, etc. looks great, and flies pretty close to brand new. Light weight is also a plus for a new thrower, believe me.

I have 2 old DX Leos I bought used, and they are pretty flippy. Granted, I don't know what a fresh Leopard throws like, but I've watched a new DX Gazelle lose all its stability in just a few months.

a7xn.jpg

I'd throw understable mids until I had stuff figured out. However, if a beginner driver is required, I would totally recommend a Leopard. I might revise some of these comments and say go with a champ Leo, because the slower beat-in process will allow for time to grow accustomed to the disc, considering all the trees we all hit. Or buy one DX and one champ. One of my favorite discs is a 168 CFR Glow Champ Leopard.

I have also recently found the Lat64 Vision. Very understable. Much like.

LEOPARD! It was the first driver I could get any distance with and one remains in my bag to this day. I like Champion or Star over the DX. And I like a lighter weight. The Leopard goes a good distance, its flexible and will shape just about any line, and best of all its forgiving for your flaws.

working on driving with putters and mids is a good idea, personally i think mixing in some practice with low speed drivers is also a good idea. mids and putters don't fly like drivers and can mask form flaws that will affect your drivers.
This!

Leopard, Gazelle, Cyclone, Cheetah, Polaris, Xpress, Sabre, then Teebird (DX), JLS, Eagle (DX), XL, TL, EL, River and the like. Diamond if you're a super n00b with tiny hands.
This too

What are your goals? To get better, or to instantly throw further?

To throw further, get a high speed light weight blizz boss/destroyer/katana/etc

Your technique will be awful, you'll learn bad form that will set you back, BUT you'll out throw all your friends and look cool on the wide open courses. (this is how I did it, and i'm still paying for it 11 years later, but i was king of my college course due to my cannon of an arm :D)

If you actually want to start correctly and get good skills from the beginning. Then you'll really want a nice midrange. Lightweight Roc, Buzz, Comet, something like that. Really all a driver will do is teach bad habits, even a leopard. It's very easy to take your solid mid range toss and throw a higher speed disc well. But the converse isn't true. I learned with Firebirds and OS Valks as my only discs (with putter) When i started to throw mids, i was HORRIBLE at it. It took a long time to get any skill at throwing them, and I had to completely change the way I played the game. If i had started out smarter, it would have been a much easier road for me.

If your heart is set on at least having the word driver in your bag, then a leopard would be my recommended disc, but a fairly light one. You should be able to throw with hyzer and let it hyzer, throw flat to fly flat and throw anny to keep an anny. Too light won't hyzer, too heavy won't anny. So somewhere in the middle.

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUOq09T2q54&list=PLUOTxtKGxh5fyT79-f3tePrnDofaTlsX5&index=9
Starting about the 25 minute mark when David Feldberg starts talking about backhand technique. This helped me immensely!

I too am also very new, and I initially bought a bunch of high speed plastic, which I couldn't throw for s**t. Now I only take two discs with me, a X-Buzzz, and an E-Warlock. When I have learned to throw both with some semblance of control and distance, I will start looking through my stack of discs to see which one to add too the mix.

Start out throwing mids until you can hit 200-250. dx Cobra, pro d/esp buzz, or dx roc. Once you're there start with a few fairway drivers and learn nose angle. Once you learn nose angle, and already have that distance down, fairways will start stretching out over 300.

I think noobs benefit from using a driver. I would think learning the difference between a driver and midrange would be of great help. I agree a mid can build form and I would encourage its use, but at some point a driver and mid throw somewhat different and have unique feels. I also think the distance is the key to the answer. I have a wife that started out throwing 225-250 and things like a TeeBird and Lepoard were too overstable. She really benefitted from an Xpress and Cheetah. She also uses an XL a lot now.

Listen to JoshuaJames: Latitude Opto Diamond. It has a flight similar to a seasoned Leo, but will keep those characteristics WAAAY longer than DX plastic. Opto plastic is incredibly durable; my months old disc, which has tasted wood, fence, concrete, etc. looks great, and flies pretty close to brand new. Light weight is also a plus for a new thrower, believe me.

+1 for some Opto Diamond love from Lat 64. :thmbup:

Don't consider myself a power thrower by any stretch of the imagination, and playing in tree-filled courses in the midwest has had me focusing more on accuracy than distance. I have been slowly introducing drivers to my bag as I get better.

Opto Diamond is very nice option, as mentioned above. Another one is the Discraft Stratus (elite) X, kind of between a Mid and Fairway. Easy to control, has room for error and can be very accurate. Just my $.02 to your ever growing pot of opinions.

Teebird is a horrible idea for a new player. If I had started with a Teebird I don't think I would have kept at it. I think the best beginner disc is a mid-160's Star or DX Valk. If you have an arm that's naturally a bit stronger go for a Beast. Giving a noob something stable just encourages them to OAT more. When I started someone recommended a DC Reaper to me, which was a horrible idea.

Latest posts