• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good discs for beginners?

skypup

Hi, first post here. I'm a beginner at disc golf. I had gotten into it a couple years ago with friends but stopped but started back up recently and enjoy it even more. My girlfriend also just played her first game, and she really enjoys everything about it, but I want to find a good disc for her to play with so she can enjoy playing the game.

I have two discs right now that I got a couple years back. A Firebird and a Classic Roc, both the lowest price models. I didn't know until recently that Firebirds are bad for beginners, I just had bought it because it looked cool. I'm looking for a driver that is beginner friendly and will stay straight. Its not too important for it to be max distance. I can drive well on occasion and my most recent game I actually had some pretty nice drives with the Firebird, but I was very inconsistent. I understand the Roc would be better for approaches and putts (my girlfriend and I had some nice fail drives with it the other day).

For drivers I heard that the Archangel, Valkerie or Dragon might be good, but I hear different things every where. I'm also planning on picking up a Buzzz which I know is a midrange disc like the Roc but from what I've read it would be better at driving and general use than the Roc, which seems better for putting. The other day I used my friend's Cyclone a couple times but wasn't very impressed with it. I think I would need something by Innova or Discraft since there is a place near the local college campus that has many of their discs but I don't recall what other brands they had. I'm also looking to spend probably 10 dollars or less per disc, its just a fun hobby for us right now. Thanks for the help.

Cyclone, Gazelle, Leopard, XL are all good for beginners. I suggest staying around 160-165g. You could also start with just a Roc, Buzzz or Comet and build from there.

putters
Comet
Leopard

nothing else. Nothing big rim. Nothing overstable. Nothing max weight.

Thanks guys. I think I might get a Leopard and a Buzzz then. Less than 170g as well?

Stick with DX plastic and like others have said with weight, 158-165g. Don't worry about your ego and throwing a heavier disc. I have a friend said that he can handle 170+ and he can't throw. I still consider myself a 'new' disc golfer even though this will be my 3rd season playing. I'd say give the Shark, Buzzz, Leopard a try. I started out with those discs and don't think they'll ever leave my bag. I tried Cyclone/Comet/XL/Gazalle in the beginning and they weren't quite for me, took me about 3-4 months of straight play to control those discs.

Ironhide said:
I tried Cyclone/Comet/XL/Gazalle in the beginning and they weren't quite for me, took me about 3-4 months of straight play to control those discs.
Same for me (except Comet ...quite easy disc). That's why I would recommend a fast midrange disc with good glide instead of a driver during the first months. Discs like X Stratus, E Element, ESP Impact and Z Glide give easier distance while still being easy to make both right-to-left and left-to-right curves.

Good suggestions so far. Coyote for a mid and there are many good putters that are easy to grip and get a clean release with. Spike, Pure, XD, and a little taller but IMO the best putter out there soft Anode. If Wedges were more durable and Darts were thinner and stiffer in the flight plate they'd make my list too. As it is the Dart can be very good for new players if the size, shape and the feel ain't a problem. The Wedge is very long for a putter and being so thin and fast it goes far for limited power of new players. Breaking into understable isn't such a big deal for new players with less power so it might work. It is the friendliest shape in a putter for smaller hands like the ladies and kids and smaller guys like me. It has never stuck in my hand and i don't need to think of it ever.

Innova or Discraft and under 10 dollars, right.

Plenty of good discs, but you have to start somewhere.

Drivers (you might skip these first):
Can't go wrong with DX Teebirds. They will fade too hard for you first, but not for long.
Leopard is always a good choice, so is a Gazelle.

Mids:
Buzzz or Shark. There's two great multipurpose discs. You can even use them as picnic plates.

Putters:
Anything that feels good in your hand. DX Aviar maybe.

I guess all the suggestions you've got are good.The thing you should think for a minute is the 10 dollars for one disc. Discs under 10 dollars are usually entry level plastic (DX, Pro-D). Entry level plastic doesn't stay in mint condition for very long time. You might consider spending a couple bucks more for Star/ESP or Champion/Z plastics. It will be cheaper in the long run. Or you could buy used discs a lot cheaper than new ones. Ask the local players or something.

(And don't get me wrong. I love DX/Pro-D plastics!)

My friend lent me some discs and my GF and I played a few rounds yesterday. She was throwing a well-worn Pro Leopard that was around 173g, and she had some nice throws. She throws it so it goes up and right, and the disc glides left to the center. Would a brand new Pro Leopard react like that, or should I try to get that one from my friend?

I was throwing my Classic Roc low and straight using my left hand and top of my arm forward. It doesn't have as much power as a right hand throw with the inside/bottom part of my arm forward, but its much more accurate. I got the chains 2 or 3 times from 50-70 feet away doing this.

I think I'll get us both Pro Leopards and her a Shark and myself a buzzz. Someone told me I should get an Orc. How's a Nuke?

Orc and Nuke MIGHT be out of your range for now. Depends on how much power you have. See if your friend has something like a Valkryie, Beast, or Sidewinder (or similar discs) if you can handle those 3, might be able to handle a Orc/Nuke. I LOVE my Sidewinder and Beast is almost there, can't quite get the hang of the Valkryie yet, but soon.

But I think what you have planned sounds like a solid idea. You'll really like those discs. Have you checked out Joes Flight Chart and understand it? It's not the 'says all' about discs, but it's a good reference.

My friend does have a Champion Sidewinder in the bag he lent me, I was throwing that around the golf course behind my house earlier this week but haven't since. I'll give it another go.

He also has a Star Destroyer I was throwing today which I'm not a huge fan of but I can get it go straight if I throw it off to the left more since it comes down to the right pretty hard similar to my DX Firebird that I don't like using very much. I'm still learning the Destroyer but I can get it to go farther than the Leopard or Roc I've been throwing which would make sense.

I'm checking out Joe's Flight Chart right now.

If you can handle the Destroyer and get it to fly properly, then the Orc or Nuke might work for you. Just take your time in acquiring discs, so you don't end up with 15+ discs and don't know how to use them all properly. Also, so you don't have over lapping discs.

Here's an update: I traded my friend my DX Firebird for a 150 Shark and a well worn Pro-D Cyclone and those discs are working great! The shark is so easy to do what I want, and the cyclone is just what I needed. I'm going to pick up my girl a Pro Leopard when I can. Thanks for the help in finding discs!