• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Guinness World Record Attempt Round 2

matrix2113

Double Eagle Member
Hey all,

If you didn't read about this the last time that I did it, my name is Mike Sale, I'm a student at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and I currently officially hold the World Record for the Most Disc Golf Holes played in 24 hours.

In the recent months, this record has been unofficially topped three times.

On May 3-4th by Joe Duncan and Garry Murphy at Nims Park in Rock Falls, IL at 1,620 holes,

Two weeks later on May 17-18th, Cody Miller bested that mark by 18 holes at 1,638 playing Bobby Ford Park in Richwood, TX.

And lastly, Dan Schnabel who held the record before I did, once again reclaimed his title at 1,929 holes at the Mount du Lac Ace Run course.

Since I got wind of Joe and Garry's attempt back sometime in April, I have been planning my next attempt. And now that I have hammered out most of the details, I want to officially announce it.

On September 12th I will be once again playing Disc Golf for 24 hours, and attempting to reclaim the World Record for the Most Disc Golf Holes played in 24 hours. In the attempt, I will be raising money for the families of the victims of the Isla Vista Massacre that occurred at my school, UCSB this past May. The guys at the Blockhouse Country Club have been kind enough to host the event, and I will be playing their Tiki course for the attempt.

All donations will go through the Santa Barbara Foundation, to their Isla Vista Victims Tribute Fund.

Thus far, the event is being sponsored by Legacy Discs, GripEQ, Discgolfcenter.com, Paragon Disc Golf, and McFlySoHigh Video. Marty McGee will be there filming. I am still looking for more hole sponsors! PM me or email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

To contribute or learn more, visit my GoFundMe Page here: http://www.gofundme.com/d99y6o

and follow the event here! We will be doing live updates the day of to follow my progress, https://www.facebook.com/events/709587799119909/declines/?notif_t=plan_mall_activity

And lastly a write up that I did for the PDGA, explaining a little bit of everything, here. - http://www.pdga.com/breaking-world-records-great-causes

Good luck, Mike!

I read the other thread, and this Canadian was confused by all the hubbub. You seem to have altered your "details", and I hope that now everyone will be able to fully support you in your honourable endeavour.

Thanks for the support my friend from the North! I really appreciate your contribution. We'll see how everyone else reacts, I was definitely expecting more than one post by now. But who knows. Thanks again for your help!

I am curious about what the qualifications are for a course to be used in the record attempt. From the reviews on here about the Blockhouse Tiki course, it would appear that it was designed to be a "putt putt" type course and not a standard disc golf course (BTW, looks like a very fun course to play). Distance wise, it is 63%, 78% and 72% the length of the other attempts you mentioned in your post.

I am curious about what the qualifications are for a course to be used in the record attempt. From the reviews on here about the Blockhouse Tiki course, it would appear that it was designed to be a "putt putt" type course and not a standard disc golf course (BTW, looks like a very fun course to play). Distance wise, it is 63%, 78% and 72% the length of the other attempts you mentioned in your post.

Yes, and it's also 39% the length that I did the first attempt at, not including the 350 foot walk (bike) from hole 9s basket to hole 1. It has to be a PDGA official course, which it is. This is the way the record is trending, someone was going to do it eventually, I just figured if I'm going to shoot to break the record, I might as well do it at the optimal place the current record allows it.

That being said, I am searching for a large sponsor right now to try to get Guinness to actually come out. Now I'm sure they don't know much about Disc Golf and how much this record is subjective to the distance of the holes, but if they did come out, they would see that. So, if I do get them to come out, I am going to suggest categories for this record - the most disc golf holes played in a 24 hour period, at a course with avg hole length under 100 ft, under 200 ft, under 300 ft...etc.

How many holes do you guys think one can play at Iron Hill?
(434 ft avg from the shorts, and 558 from the longs)

Maybe another category could be most feet of holes played in 24 hours?
I like that category, but with tee sign measurements so inconsistent, there'd likely be a long drawn out semantic argument over how many feet were actually covered, plus another for whether basket to next tee walks should be included.

The upside is it could be reasonably attempted at most any relatively open course, instead of searching out the tiniest pitch and putts.

How about fewest throws to complete a round? :rolleyes:

I keeed, I keeed.

found this from dan in another thread:

I played 20 hours, 50 minutes, finished 1929 holes. 5 aces, 1441 under par, 22 bogeys. I shot 9 under 26 times in my 214 completed rounds, including the 208th round!.

I aced hole 4 twice, 5 once, 7 once, and 8 once. All aces were my first out of the state of Minnesota, and I hit my first two night aces. My sweetest ace had to be my tomahawk ace on hole 8. I aced on my 499th hole played, 629th, 826th, 1075th, and 1373rd.

I only used one mold the entire event, Latitude 64 Mercys, and I'm glad I had a few to use (10). Depending on the shot, I would use their hard, ez, or McCabe Mercy plastic to get the best line.

While I'm a bit disappointed I didn't play 2000 holes, the way my feet, knee, back, and arms felt told me I had enough. Just over 62 miles traveled during the event, and I was glad to raise just over $200 for the Blaine Relay for Life event.

If he did it in 20 hours and 50 minutes, that is a hole every 38.88 seconds. If he covered 62 miles that would mean the average hole length was 169.7ft(with no walking space between holes). I would like to see a record for most distance(by hole length) covered in 24 hours.

Is this topic just a broken record on this site now, since it's the fourth attempt in the past 4 months? I thought this thread would get at least a little more activity than this

Is this topic just a broken record on this site now, since it's the fourth attempt in the past 4 months? I thought this thread would get at least a little more activity than this

What are you trying to get out of this thread? :confused:

Latest posts