• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Having 2 putting styles and training it.

I have two putting styles, a pure push (zero wrist action), and a pure spin (wrist and elbow extension, "chest pass") and I warm both of them up. My push is my primary style, but at distance and in low ceiling I use the pure spin.

A smart person would say, why don't you learn how to use the "spush" and use both?? But believe me I have tried lol

what i have learned (mostly the hard way) over decades of playing is to minimize differences in my putting stroke. i guess you would call my short inside 15' a spush. outside that distance i simply angle my lead foot a tiny bit farther away from the target and grip the disc with a little anhyzer (like a mini-flex) and just putt my same stroke . the difference in stance is subtle til i am outside the circle. at that point i am counting on the disc to flatten and just start fade as it gets to the chains. this makes it much easier to putt the disc farther without more effort just maybe putting a little higher but still basically flat release.
the adjustments i make are very small and learning that comes from years of practice so it is more muscle memory than a deliberate change.

the other thing i have learned about putting is any change that you have to think about can wreak havoc. don't think, putt. good luck

I have one style where I add more back leg pushing off ground to my spinning push put until I am maxing out around 30--35 feet or 9--10 & 2/3 meters and then switch to a faster putter or a very slow putter like midrange for putting depending on what the approach requires. When using new disc, I am start over on my putting back leg pushing off ground.

After I have maxed out my approach putting, I go to doing a slow midrange approach for a bit until I have to go use full midrange throwing/disc.

Latest posts