• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting form advice

Kjimsern

Par Member
Ive trained extremely hard for 2 years and tried 456 things and this is the form i ended upp with.

But im curious, i do not use my wrist that much.

I load it just a little, like ricky/mcbeth and i pop with finger spring that creates decent spin.

I'm worried i will have to little spin on the disc because of the developement of the sport and increased putting range that i see from new players. ( more elbow and wrist action, more variables, but hey it seems to work for some of them )

Give me some thoughts, evaluate my form and give me some tips if you have some.

Pardon my bad english, im norwegian.

https://youtube.com/shorts/GqaO0z2CXCY?feature=share

I'll defer to wiser people if I'm wrong, but I've learned a lot about putting mechanics & two things stood out.

1. I think there's a lot of variance in putting styles, but this one applies in general:

You don't appear to be rocking so that your pressure or weight is moving back to the rear foot ideally.

The rear leg forms a brace/stability for the put as you swing it back, and when you shift your weight forward and allow the front leg to leverage the ground, it will add easy power to your putt that scales up well to longer distances or jump putts.

Watch Simon closely here at both angles - see how he settles/loads back more into that rear foot, then rocks/shifts forward to the front leg? I think you have a bit more of a squat with both legs rather than a rock/shift. I got much better at this rock/shift mechanic after a lot of standstill work & it's worth learning. My problem is no longer my putting power - it's dialing in the consistency!

https://youtu.be/xwEFWS7gMxs?t=321

2. And this might vary a little, but about the wrist. My favorite advice I ever received about wrist tension and pop (shared by Rhatton1 around here) is "imagine that you're using your putting stance to toss a phonebook at the basket." Your wrist would be less than super rigid but far from very soft. It should feel like shifting your weight forward to putt creates more tension/load/elasticity in the wrist, which is released to help "spring" the putt to the basket. I feel it off the tip of my index finger as the disc spring/"pops" out to the basket. Some putting styles put less emphasis on that, but it's one of the easiest ways to generate consistent power in the putt and works in a similar way to wrist force transfer in full throws. I stuck with it once I realized I could get the "free" power and started to dial in the rest around that idea.

Video from side helps.

1. Looks like you are only squatting down/vertical, and not moving back/horizontally at all. Note how Simon moves backward onto front heel and then plant toes going forward, and he also puts his rear foot flat on ground and body centered on rear foot.

2. Looks like your shoulders are too horizontal/flat. Note how Simon side bends the front shoulder to hang lower and rear shoulder is higher.

3. Also looks like you are trying push too fast/hard/jump off the rear leg which disconnects the energy flow. Note how Simon is much slower/smoother pushing off rear foot.

4. Hard to tell from camera angles, but I would suggest moving your rear foot more behind/inline with front foot instead of being so square.

5. I really like how Simon is loaded on his jump putt, shoulder really low almost hip high and behind knee, looks just like Climo and Ricky on their normal putt, kind of like a speed skater start or shoveling snow.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• kim simon putt.jpg
    kim simon putt.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 122
  • simon putt 4 copy.jpg
    simon putt 4 copy.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Video from side helps.

1. Looks like you are only squatting down/vertical, and not moving back/horizontally at all. Note how Simon moves backward onto front heel and then plant toes going forward, and he also puts his rear foot flat on ground and body centered on rear foot.

2. Looks like your shoulders are too horizontal/flat. Note how Simon side bends the front shoulder to hang lower and rear shoulder is higher.

3. Also looks like you are trying push too fast/hard/jump off the rear leg which disconnects the energy flow. Note how Simon is much slower/smoother pushing off rear foot.

4. Hard to tell from camera angles, but I would suggest moving your rear foot more behind/inline with front foot instead of being so square.

5. I really like how Simon is loaded on his jump putt, shoulder really low almost hip heigh and behind knee, looks just like Climo and Ricky on their normal putt, kind of like a speed skater start.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yo, I'm saving this whole post for future reference, I love the side-by-side posture breakdown & how it applies to everything you teach about standstills!

This actually just reminded me that back when I was learning about "shoveling" posture I got it to click faster facing the basket to putt than in my BH.

If you putt more in the posture SW shows there it feels much more like rocking and shoveling snow toward the basket (hopefully not too strong an assumption that you do this in Norway?). Also notice that you launched off the front leg it would look a lot like Simon's jump putt:

3MBb.gif
:

Yo, I'm saving this whole post for future reference, I love the side-by-side posture breakdown & how it applies to everything you teach about standstills!

This actually just reminded me that back when I was learning about "shoveling" posture I got it to click faster facing the basket to putt than in my BH.

If you putt more in the posture SW shows there it feels much more like rocking and shoveling snow toward the basket (hopefully not too strong an assumption that you do this in Norway?). Also notice that you launched off the front leg it would look a lot like Simon's jump putt:
I added shoveling to it ^, which is a swing thought that really helps and Feldy also teaches and he taught Ricky to putt. Climo taught the phonebook which is also good, but not many people have one today, so a 5lbs/2kg weight plate also works well.

So many new things to try, thanks.

I dont have any side video with my new form, but i will get it tomorrow during my putting session.

I wouldn't be so sure that it's your ankle mobility. You're still in the same "non-shoveling" posture as post 3 above! This is causing you to squat down for leverage and prevents you from rocking back and forward like Simon.

Hmm, i will try the shoveling position tomorrow morning and im gonna check if it clicks

I tried a few right now and i seem to get a very steep hyzer release. Not a healthy one, to much of an angle.

I should have written here earlier instead of trying myself everyday for 2 years.

Hmm, i will try the shoveling position tomorrow morning and im gonna check if it clicks

I tried a few right now and i seem to get a very steep hyzer release. Not a healthy one, to much of an angle.

I too noticed that any time I learn new form changes here, I usually get steep hyzer angles at first (either putting or BH form changes) until I get everything in better flowing posture and more closed to target properly and the other mechanics to adapt to those changes. It takes a lot of time. Remember, you're changing a deep, heavily reinforced (2 years in your case) motion pattern. It won't happen in a day.

I should have written here earlier instead of trying myself everyday for 2 years.

The antidote to regret is progress! :)

In the side view your rear heel moves down during the forward swing, instead of up, so it's like your foot is slipping.

Note how Paul's spine is more relaxed/slightly flexed, while your spine is in extension.

Note how Paul's front foot rolls to the outside edge to move the knee more out of the way.

Note how Paul extends/lags the shoulder/arm/disc down/back while he starts moving forward.

I will try to change these things tomorrow morning, see how it works out. Thanks alot!

Its wierd that the squat i did before gave just a little more power behind the putt, after i changed to a rocking motion almost like an ice scater start/shovel motion i get twice as much behind the disc.

Wouldnt straddle putting honestly be a poor choice of stance if this is the case,? Maybe that is why straddle putters have less cx1% then staggered stance putters?

They have to compensate with other variables and not getting so much power from the ground and forward.

At least power wise.

Opinion?

Its wierd that the squat i did before gave just a little more power behind the putt, after i changed to a rocking motion almost like an ice scater start/shovel motion i get twice as much behind the disc.

Wouldnt straddle putting honestly be a poor choice of stance if this is the case,? Maybe that is why straddle putters have less cx1% then staggered stance putters?

They have to compensate with other variables and not getting so much power from the ground and forward.

At least power wise.

Opinion?

Not that easy I'd say. A benefit with a straddle stance is that you can always use it. Staggered stance putters will have to use straddle now and then.

Do straddle putters have less c1x in average though? If that is the case, I am not sure the generation of power is the reason within the circle. The power you can genererar with a straddle stance is more than enough for c1.

Latest posts