• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] HELP - New all Prodigy bag

DavidHedvin

Bogey Member
Hey all!

I'm trying to switch to an all prodigy bag. I really like their plastic and discs :clap:

Are there any holes to fill?

Prodigy's equivalent to the following discs:

Thunderbird
Felon
CD3 or an other controll driver

My bag right now:

Putter:
PA3 300 (x2)

Kastputter:
PA3 300
PA4 300
PA2 300
PA2 400
A2 400

Midrange:
MD1 400
MD2 400
MD3 400
MD4 750
MD4 400G

Fairway:
F2 400
F3 400
F5 400
F5 400G
Felon lucid (x2)

Driver:
D4 400G
D3 400G (x2)
D2 400G
D2 450
D1 400G
X2 400

Try an H2 for felon maybe h3 for thunderbird

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

H2 for Felon type disc.

H3 or H4 for CD3 type disc.

Not really a whole lot of other choices...

Without knowing how you throw, recommendations based on a list of SUPER inconsistent molds you carry are worthless.

There is absolutely no need for that many molds in a bag. Do you feel there are holes in your lineup? Do you feel each disc performs a task that you are incapable of excecuting with another disc in your bag? You have 4 fairway, 4 mid, and 4 putter molds. Crazy!

Learning to throw the same disc to achieve various flights instead of throwing different discs for each specific line will help you develop into a much better golfer.

I'm not advocating copying any one persons bag, but try building a bag that mimics the structure of those you see playing well. I find quality players typically have 2 molds (with multiples) per category- drivers, fairways, mids putters.

There is absolutely no need for that many molds in a bag. Do you feel there are holes in your lineup? Do you feel each disc performs a task that you are incapable of excecuting with another disc in your bag? You have 4 fairway, 4 mid, and 4 putter molds. Crazy!

Disagree. Completely and unreservedly disagree.

There are two opposing schools of thought on this: One is fewer molds, cycle them into different stabilities, throw the same disc(s) on different lines, which requires different throwing motions to get those different lines.

The other is to throw with the same throwing motion and use different discs to achieve the desired flight. The "17-disc bag" concept doesn't have to be limited to four molds, one can certainly use different molds to get the desired result.

Learning to throw the same disc to achieve various flights instead of throwing different discs for each specific line will help you develop into a much better golfer.

Not necessarily. Certainly not at first. A consistent throwing motion, consistent form, is more important to learn first. Trying to throw the same disc several different ways IMHO does NOT contribute to learning the basic throwing motion consistently.

I'm not advocating copying any one persons bag, but try building a bag that mimics the structure of those you see playing well. I find quality players typically have 2 molds (with multiples) per category- drivers, fairways, mids putters.

Some pros, like Philo, have 5 molds and 22 discs. Some, like Nate Sexton have 16 molds and 17 discs (in fairness, Sexton acquired several Destroyers this past year, but his previous bag was a good example for my side of the argument). So who is really minimizing?

The bottom line: if you prefer different molds to get different flights and results, by all means go for it. And remember, it's about YOU having fun... I have more fun with more molds; others may have more fun with less molds. But it is ***NOT*** "crazy" to have multiple molds in one's bag.

I agree with the 2-mold approach-it is pretty easy to begin with two discs (while not Prodigy, take a Defender and Sheriff, or Destroyer and Shryke for example) and then once they get beat in get replacements for both, and bam cycle started. I have a seasoned defender that is a bomber and one that is brand new that does nothing but go left- started with two molds, and now only have one (defenders are in trouble in my bag but that's beside the point for this case) and it only took me a few months.

This is great advice...for some people. For others it's horrible. Like for the OP who seemingly loves plastic. No need to shun them. If you prefer beating in a Firebird until it flies like a Roadrunner, you and your cycling kind can have at it (a bit of hyperbole, but on par with yours.) Feldberg's and Rico's bags are in the 30s. Not crazy.

I think cycling doesn't simplify, either. Take McBeth's Bag: 27 discs in 11 molds, compared to our OP's 25 discs in 17 molds. How are 7 destroyers of different runs and wear, simpler than Prodigy's D lineup?

• D1=overstable --> D4=understable. Simple.
  • Avery Jenkins=understable. No wait... overstable --> worn hot pink Destroyer=understable....except for me, all my distance drivers are hot pink?

Some people like to throw well seasoned discs, hang on to plastic longer, and/or change their stroke to achieve different lines with one disc, and some prefer fresh plastic, and letting the discs do the work.

I love Prodigy and used to bag 90% Prodigy. However, the shots you're questioning is by FAR the weakest point for them. Their control driver selection is a shame once you know what their drivers, fairways, mids, and putters can accomplish. I for one have stacks of D2s, D3s, F2s, F5s, F7s, M1s, M4s, A2s, A3s, and PA1s. Still some of my favorite discs and I often play fun rounds with just those molds. Hell, even the D4 and D6 have good runs for big turnovers and rollers. Biggest issues I had with Prodigy were inconsistency in the production runs of the same mold/difficulty replacing a lost or disc that got too beat, and the complete lack of any decent discs between speeds 7 and 13. The H-Series are a complete miss in my book. The H1 is just about unusable beef. H2 is slightly better, but still like a Firebird's pissed off cousin. The H3 is starting to be workable, but lacks the glide of most 9/5/0/2 rated discs, and the H4 was just weird for me. I really expected to like the H4 for the control slot based on it's ratings, but when I got a couple and started throwing them, neither had the glide I expect in a control driver. I mean, these things just fell out of the sky. Came out fast, had some high-speed turn, started to fade and KERPLUNK! Dead on the ground.

Long story short, while they can be inconsistent, I do indeed love Prodigy discs. Find the right D-Series and it can go against any driver on the market. Same for F-Series. The Mids and Putters have always held up very consistent flights disc-to-disc for me and I love them, but there is nothing in the Thunderbird/CD3 market.

Some people like to throw well seasoned discs, hang on to plastic longer, and/or change their stroke to achieve different lines with one disc, and some prefer fresh plastic, and letting the discs do the work.

You're right.
What people like to do varies.
We can choose to make all sorts of decisions, even if they aren't in ones best interest.
So long as you're happy, go for it!

Disagree. Completely and unreservedly disagree.

There are two opposing schools of thought on this: One is fewer molds, cycle them into different stabilities, throw the same disc(s) on different lines, which requires different throwing motions to get those different lines.

The other is to throw with the same throwing motion and use different discs to achieve the desired flight. The "17-disc bag" concept doesn't have to be limited to four molds, one can certainly use different molds to get the desired result.

Not necessarily. Certainly not at first. A consistent throwing motion, consistent form, is more important to learn first. Trying to throw the same disc several different ways IMHO does NOT contribute to learning the basic throwing motion consistently.

Sure there can be two schools of thought on how to view and use discs. Those that go to one school develop into better golfers much more quickly than those in the other school.
Those in the second school must be the guys you hear blaming the disc after a poorly executed throw.

For most throws, one can set the required nose and hyzer angle while using the same form = consistent throwing motion. Learning one move and focusing on replicating that form is dangerous. How many shots a round do you get a perfect lie?

If you're carrying this many discs, learning the basic throwing motion should not be a talking point. If you're learning to throw, carry 6 discs, all neutral to stable, but as many as you can easily track.

How does one replace a disc in the many molds bag? If the f2 is now 6 months old and decently used, not quite the same f2 it once was, how does its spot get filled by a new f2 that may not even been all that similar to the original f2?

You're right.
What people like to do varies.
We can choose to make all sorts of decisions, even if they aren't in ones best interest.
So long as you're happy, go for it!

Aw, sarcasm....

How is forcing a single disc on different lines, better than letting different discs do the work by just learning one consistent pull?

Sure there can be two schools of thought on how to view and use discs. Those that go to one school develop into better golfers much more quickly than those in the other school.
Those in the second school must be the guys you hear blaming the disc after a poorly executed throw.

For most throws, one can set the required nose and hyzer angle while using the same form = consistent throwing motion. Learning one move and focusing on replicating that form is dangerous. How many shots a round do you get a perfect lie?

If you're carrying this many discs, learning the basic throwing motion should not be a talking point. If you're learning to throw, carry 6 discs, all neutral to stable, but as many as you can easily track.

How does one replace a disc in the many molds bag? If the f2 is now 6 months old and decently used, not quite the same f2 it once was, how does its spot get filled by a new f2 that may not even been all that similar to the original f2?

Yes. Obviously only one line of logic could be correct. Everyone preferring multiple molds must be a fool and should defer the people who prefer to cycle. :rolleyes: Obviously, your form should be the same, however, saying that carrying fresh discs is inferior simply denies how so many people choose to play and succeed in the game.

Learning one move and focusing on replicating that form is dangerous.

Dangerous? Are you kidding? It is dangerous to learn basic form?!?!?!

Sheesh!

I put that argument right back on your cycling concept. Take months to get a disc beat in, then lose it in the lake. What then?

Dangerous? Are you kidding? It is dangerous to learn basic form?!?!?!

I carry a Buzzz, BuzzzOS, and a BuzzzSS. :eek: I live on the f-ing edge!

OP:
Bagged the Felon for two years. Had a proto H2 that could have easily had the spot covered. Didn't like the curl at the rim, though.

Latest posts