• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 10/23/12 Newark, DE

The elevation change you can't see in the picture actually makes the Silver pin one of the hardest par fours on the course.

HAHAHAHA, to anyone who seriously thinks this is 3able.... RARE and lucky as can be.

This is a rocky hill over 60ft elevation on your first two shots, leaving a 100 ft up shot, to a finish putt - and that's if you played it great! See JimiMc comments, and you have a fair assesment.

a birdie at Iron Hill is AMAZING for most players, any eagle is for those 1015+ players, or a 960 player that canned a 200ft upshot... Played with many 1000+ players and very few eagles, I've played hundreds of rounds at Iron, never seen this hole 3ed... Seen other par 5s get Eagled, but not this one - though it has happened, I've heard... But Sasqutch has been spotted too ;-)

I'll throw my eagle,(most likely), then several Rocs until I feel good about throwing the putter. And hope I don't get a snowman. :)

The pictures are out of order. The hole was designed to play picture 1, to picture 2, to picture 4, to picture 3. The only threes I know of are 200' throw ins and a long putt from a lefty that threw a huge flex shot, followed by a lucky hyzer thru the left side of picture 4. The same person probably bogies the hole more then birdies it by going for it.

The hole is actually a sucker hole. It tempts the Eagle only to produce dumb bogeys, and after you've seen the easy birdie you will feel dumb going for it. It's actually tied for the easiest hole according to par on the course, with hole 10, which can also produce the same dumb bogies going for Eagle.

Oh so my 4s were actually easy birdies. I always thought it was a 4 and thought it was the toughest par out there. Great hole btw.

Probably a Champ TeeBird or Valkyrie off the tee, something that has a little zip, can still be accurate, and take a little abuse considering the debris on the ground. I am very tempted to tee off with an Axis because in the woods I get almost the same distance as a driver. From there, likely a Meteor if I need touch, a Ghost if I need to bend a line, or an Ion if I need pinpoint placement.

In the 60+ courses I have played I can count on two hands and two feet the amount of holes that I do not outright always go for in 3 or less, and twelve of those are at Highbridge. I will take your word for it that it cannot be attained in three, but I bet the first time I walked up to this that I would at least try.

Probably a Champ TeeBird or Valkyrie off the tee, something that has a little zip, can still be accurate, and take a little abuse considering the debris on the ground. I am very tempted to tee off with an Axis because in the woods I get almost the same distance as a driver. From there, likely a Meteor if I need touch, a Ghost if I need to bend a line, or an Ion if I need pinpoint placement.

In the 60+ courses I have played I can count on two hands and two feet the amount of holes that I do not outright always go for in 3 or less, and twelve of those are at Highbridge. I will take your word for it that it cannot be attained in three, but I bet the first time I walked up to this that I would at least try.

and you will fail ...lol

Oh so my 4s were actually easy birdies. I always thought it was a 4 and thought it was the toughest par out there. Great hole btw.

I assume Jimi means it is easier to birdie than other holes at Iron Hill. No hole at Iron Hill gold to gold is an easy birdie.

I assume Jimi means it is easier to birdie than other holes at Iron Hill. No hole at Iron Hill gold to gold is an easy birdie.

true they were earned 4s but a player of my caliber doesnt get many birdies at Iron Hill...so it being the easiest birdie makes sense

The SSAs Iron Hill gets are the highest for any 18 hole regular public course anywhere. At this year's Delaware Disc Golf Challenge (A tier, including 7 1000+ pros), the top score on the course was a 63 (which is a sick sick round). A lot of the holes are 600, 700, 800 feet through the woods, with plenty of elevation. The holes are very fair -- well defined fairways and such. But they are not your typical par 3 golf.

I'd be super conservative. Throw a Roc 3 times and then either putt for a 4 or hopefully get an easy 5.

The SSAs Iron Hill gets are the highest for any 18 hole regular public course anywhere. At this year's Delaware Disc Golf Challenge (A tier, including 7 1000+ pros), the top score on the course was a 63 (which is a sick sick round). A lot of the holes are 600, 700, 800 feet through the woods, with plenty of elevation. The holes are very fair -- well defined fairways and such. But they are not your typical par 3 golf.

And thus the injustice of pictures. Oh, and combine that with my for-better-or-worse tendency to just go for it on a course I have never played before; playing like I am going to get a 3 on every hole is completely different than actually getting a 3 on every hole. When you are an above average intermediate, below average advanced player, there is almost no laying up and you are going for glory on every shot unless it is an A Tier.

The pars on the course are based off scores from Gold level players, 970+, in PDGA events. The easiest holes average .2 below their Par while the hardest hole averages .3 above it's par. Eagles are possible, but the best scores and tournament winners simply get hot and on birdie runs.

The pars on the course are based off scores from Gold level players, 970+, in PDGA events. The easiest holes average .2 below their Par while the hardest hole averages .3 above it's par. Eagles are possible, but the best scores and tournament winners simply get hot and on birdie runs.

Cool to hear how it's being done empirically. Which holes produce the most variance (bogies and birdies instead of pars) and which produce the least (just lots of pars)?

A lot has to due with how much you play the course. I can go rounds of 15+ Pars just taking what the course gives me. On the days I'm on that may only go down to 13 or 14, but the rest are birdies. The 2 biggest swing holes would be holes 12 and 17. The holes with the most pars would be 6 and 13.