• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 6/15/2016: Hidden Lake DGC Hole 12 in St. Augusta, MN

This hole is a beast. 300 ft to the corner, small landing zone to have a chance at 3. It has to be absolutely perfect to get a 3. I throw a slightly under stable fairway driver like a beat river or flash then a comet. Have 3ed it once, usually a 5

I only play the longs here. Where is the challenge otherwise. You are throwing from elevation, over water with over a 350 foot carry, and then need to make it through a window so you do not get kicked back into the lake. TeeBirds for accuracy because they fly undaunted with elevation drops, or Halos if I am trying to go max distance in hopes of clearing everything and parking the basket. I have seen two chain-out would-be Aces on this hole during tournaments.

I only play the longs here. Where is the challenge otherwise. You are throwing from elevation, over water with over a 350 foot carry, and then need to make it through a window so you do not get kicked back into the lake. TeeBirds for accuracy because they fly undaunted with elevation drops, or Halos if I am trying to go max distance in hopes of clearing everything and parking the basket. I have seen two chain-out would-be Aces on this hole during tournaments.

Drat. Started typing this before all the pictures loaded. Confused this hole with Hole 15.

Same deal with playing the shorts. The course is already a monster to walk. Playing shorts cuts the golfing in half but you walk just as much. Might as well throw.

Here I go with something neutral. In the past it has been Rivers and seasoned TeeBirds. My current fairway driver of choice would be the Leopard3. Nice and soft, clear the swamp and land dead straight in the middle. The turn is a tight window, so making the first shot count will save multiple throws if you can hit the first landing zone. Second shot is best with a neutral mid or a stable putter. Unfortunately the tunnel is tight, so fours are not a bad score and will still likely get you a few throws up on a few people on your card.

Last edited:
roc or FB over the top

Not to be mean, just honest because I have played the course, but good luck with that shot. Trees are too tall for too long. Once you get into the tree line, there are no lines and even pitching out is an adventure.

For better or worse, this section of the course, from Holes 10 through 14, require low precision shots.

This course really is a mixture of three different kinds of courses. Holes 1-6, 8, 18 are in the woods, but the woods are fairly clean with multiple avenues to throw and very little underbrush. For wooded holes, they are forgiving. Holes 7, 9, 15-17 are long and in the open air. The land has a lot of scrub, but you can really air it out. Holes 10-14 are barely carved out of the woods, creating tight and low tunnel shots. Most of them play above a par 3 even if they are listed as such because every shot is about placement or you are in the thick of unforgiving woods and shrubbery if you miss your mark.

Short:pro Thunderbird - Warrant - Judge.
Long: Hatchet - Pro Thunderbird - Warrant - Judge.
I'm taking a 4 from the longs most likely even if I play it perfect.