• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] How is GStar Rhyno

I have a Gstar Rhyno and quite a few older "gummy" Star Rhynos. They have essentially the same feel both in grip and flexibility. I have also found older Stars that are quite firm though. My point is, I think it actually is a different blend from "Driver Gstar" and they are just using a nearly identical blend to the older gummy "Putter Star" (I have felt at least one Star Aviar Driver in the same blend).

And yes, they are more slick than "Driver Gstar", but also much more durable (that could just be putter vs driver shape affecting durability).

Last edited:
I bought a Gstar Aviar a long time ago and wondered why that Gstar blend was less tacky than the drivers I had in Gstar. I've since felt quite a few putters in the store and found them to be similarly slick. It's weird that they use the grippier blend in the drivers and mids and use a slick blend in putters.

I don't know about "putter GStar" and "driver GStar", but I have a GStar Aviar P&A, and it feels like... regular (driver) GStar.

I also have a couple of Mako3s that I acquired a long time ago from the Proshop. The Star Mako3 felt so soft and had those shimmer lines like GStar that I thought it was mislabled. Then I got the GStar Mako3, and it was more like soft Star than GStar. I figured at the time that they must be experimenting with the blends and that's what came out with those Factory Second discs, but now that I'm reading y'all's comments, maybe there's more to it...

I find that my GStar Rhyno (that I just put back in the bag) is actually a bit firmer than my GStar Roc3, Colossus, and CD2 are but unlike my Rhyno the others are mostly flat. I let my father (who has 4 Rhynos of his own 2 R-Pro, and 1 each of Star and Champ) throw mine and he said that it was very similar to his Champ and Star. Having thrown all of our Rhynos at once the oder of stability is Champ, GStar, Star, seasoned R-Pro, beat and warped R-Pro (each of which has an Ace!). I honestly wish I still had my Champ but the GStar works almost the same but is a tad less HSS especially FH.

I picked up a beat gstar Rhyno used at my local disc shop, and I love it. It is the disc that made me decide to only putt with rhynos, and I now own one in each plastic. I just picked up the star so I can't really speak to that yet, but I agree with MGS18 on the order of stability

Thread bump;

I just got two G* X-outs from the factory store. Both flat and neither had any noticeable flashing.
They fly pretty much just like a new R-Pro. No complaints!