• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I Dye red color Trouble

Bwfearns

Hello i have been lurking around for some enlightenment on the topic but no luck. I picked up some IDye red for the first time today and mixed it in a as usual and it came out purple. i dipped a paper towel and various other things in and it is in no way red its violet, maybe a mix up? i tried diluting it down further and never got anywhere near red. i do admit i added the color enhancer which can make the dye clumpy but i haven't read about it changing the color. i wont be using the color enhancer in the future but whats the catch? the exact number is RED JID 1449

I've never used color enhancer but I did think the same thing about the color. It always looks different on the disc. I use enough water to fill a aluminum Lagsana pan up half way so the disc can float without touching the edges of the pan. It doesn't effect the colors. You can reuse the dye too they sell huge glass jars at michael's or Joann's.

Here's how mine turned out. Hope this helps.
f561c41a.jpg

Right on thank you for the info, I am making a Cincinnati Reds disc for someone and I would hate for it to to literally say the word red and come out not really looking red. The cincinnati purples just doesn't flow the same haha

In my experience, most the iDyes look a bit off in the pan. I just used the brown and it looked like a dirty moss green on the stove, but pulled out as a nice chocolate brown.

A quick way to get the color with iDye is to put a couple drops on some shaving cream and let it sit for a few seconds. The true color will come out if you watch the edges. I always have sc handy so its pretty easy to test color mixes this way.