• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

im a newbie,and played my first round today

tattoo chris

my name is chris,i live in amarillo texas. and i just found my new addiction/headache.
i found a place here that sold disc and the guy was real helpfull .
I THOUGHT I COULD THROW A DISC. frisbees' for sure. this is alot diff!! haha
the disc i bought were
1.innova eagle fairway,168
2.innova beast driver 175
3. innova hydra multi purpose. 174. alot of water on this corse, and this disc floats.
i guess this will get the ball rolling for me?
i keep hearing alot that buying disc beacomes a prob, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH?? HAHA
thanks for reading my post

Good luck with the new sport, I really like the disc creek course. Just played out there for a tournament a month ago. Let's see, that creek comes into play on 3, 4, 15, and 16 so you should be okay. 3 only if you grip lock it, 4 if you flirt with that left side and 15 if you overshoot the basket. 16 sucks, I bounced off the tree off the tee box and went in. Plus the basket is right near the water too.

Anyway, good luck, you have a nice course to learn on.

My advice is to find out what good form is and work on mastering that. I find that it is even harder to unlearn bad habits than it is to learn brand-new things.

The #1 problem out there is strong-arming the disc. (a bad habit of mine too) Turn your torso and let that pull your arm through. A good throw should feel effortless.

tattoo chris said:
thanks for the advice, one prob i have is that im left handed, so any you tube video or any help from buddies is kinda hard because i have to look at it the other way?
thanks
It's not really a problem, you get used to it quickly. Since you're new to the game, you could always just learn righty...that is, if you want to be just like everyone else :D

hey man, I know you got more discs than you can handle right now, but I'm going to say you need to pick out one more. Get a putter of some kind, and use it for putting, approaches, and driving on short holes where control is essential. That way if you are throwing your putter for drives, along with your drivers, you will notice when you develop OAT problems. those problems will make your drivers go farther (at this point) but won't for your putter, so you can notice them right away. You won't have to spend two weeks unlearning them like I did.

Also, just learning to throw a putter straight is one of the great lifeskills. Good Luck!

...DG is more addicting than crack

The best thing I can tell you right now, throw hard and throw often. No matter how much advice you get, you have to learn everything the hard way, on the course and for yourself. The best advice for a newb I can think of, it's like pull starting a lawnmower, except your standing up. Good luck, your in for lots of frustration and enjoyment.

tattoo chris said:
thanks for the advice, one prob i have is that im left handed, so any you tube video or any help from buddies is kinda hard because i have to look at it the other way?
thanks

You could look for footage of Joey Mela... he's a southpaw also and has virtually every shot in existence at his command.

Animix said:
tattoo chris said:
thanks

You could look for footage of Joey Mela... he's a southpaw also and has virtually every shot in existence at his command.

Video of Joe Mela at the 2007 Seneca Soiree. There are 3 videos to watch, about 30 minutes total.

BTW, thanks DiscGolfMonthlyTV! Looking forward to the next installment!

bogies is dave said:
Seneca_22 said:
Even tho you're lefty, the mechanics should all still be the same. Reverse the footwork, or watch the video in a mirror.

wow that's a great idea!

Isn't watching a video of a righty like looking at a mirror :idea:

I'm new to DG and LH too :p Perhaps we're more "creative" in our shots!

Have fun!

Latest posts