• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova have anything close to a comet?

i agree with frank... gonna be more stable at first, but they are very close when an ontario is a little beat in.

I haven't thrown a Cobra but the Roc is shorter and Stingray flippier. Mako and Coyote are as long or longer in the case of the Coyote and being able to fly mostly the same lines except neither will flip as much so if you may need to throw annied to get the tightest turns.

Probably the Ontario Roc, yes. Though even that is no Comet.

The Comet is really oversized nowadays by the way, the Z and ESP ones are several millimeters bigger than the Axis, despite both being approved as 21.8 cm diameter discs. The Axis on the other hand looks to be just right, comparing to all of my 21.7 cm large diameter mids (one DX Roc, 3 Vectors, 20 or so MD2's, a few MD1's, Coyote...) Can't compare with the X Comet because I don't have any. Are the Ontario Rocs the right size?

JR said:
I haven't thrown a Cobra but the Roc is shorter and Stingray flippier. Mako and Coyote are as long or longer in the case of the Coyote and being able to fly mostly the same lines except neither will flip as much so if you may need to throw annied to get the tightest turns.
You really do get strange discs, or our forms are just that different. =)

Both the Mako and Coyote turn much easier than my Z and ESP Comets on a +300' throw and into slight winds, and both also fade much more on shorter throws. =)

The Axis could work too but it may not turn right quite as fast and early as the Comet.

Maybe we can see during the summer and compare but my form will change this summer so my results can change too. I'll be finally able to do the toe heel toe pivot now that the surgery removed quote from the surgeon: "heavy scarring". At full power the Coyote turns and so far i've only had one session with the Comet that didn't flip in rear wind. 90 % power doesn't flip the Coyote and it has a larger user error tolerance so i meant average throws with user errors thrown in. Mako equals the sensitivity of the Comet to unclean releases. The way i got to full power no flips in rear wind with the Comet was not to pinch as hard with the index finger and not pushing it in as deep touching the bottom of the flight plate as i do with Buzzzes, Gators and drivers without visible problems.

My Makos, Comets and Coyotes don't handle headwinds. The Coyote is the least flip adding per added MPH of headwind even though it flips at full power and the Comet doesn't. So it may be that my release speed is closer to the cruising speed of the Comet than the Coyote or vice versa with spin requirements too. Who knows? Usually 51-54 MPH at 17-20 revs per second for me with ball of the foot pivots. With 175 Xcaliber and 159 Diamond strangely not much speed variation between the two. I would not have expected that at all based on F=MA. Granted my rips occur at 3 to rarely at 4 o'clock with only a couple of 5-5.30 rips in my career that i know of.

As you've seen discs vary a lot after throwing a couple of my old ones vs the ones you guys had before that so YMMV with the individual discs as well. No news there.

I would say Wolf, but the Wolf is more under-stable (designed to be a turn-over Roc). I recently put a beat DX Wolf in my bag as an under-stable P&A, and I love it. If you have a stable Roc and a Wolf in your bag, you can cover a lot of shots.

JHern said:
I would say Wolf, but the Wolf is more under-stable (designed to be a turn-over Roc). I recently put a beat DX Wolf in my bag as an under-stable P&A, and I love it. If you have a stable Roc and a Wolf in your bag, you can cover a lot of shots.
Did you just compare the disc with the most awesome and amazing glide of any midrange ever to a huge stinking pile of glideless flippy shit? :shock:

This thread needed to stop after two posts. Discraft Comet is as Innova Ontario Roc. It should be on the SAT.

Working Stiff said:
JHern said:
Did you just compare the disc with the most awesome and amazing glide of any midrange ever to a huge stinking pile of glideless flippy shit? :shock:

This thread needed to stop after two posts. Discraft Comet is as Innova Ontario Roc. It should be on the SAT.

not a fan of the wolf?

A guy here recently tried to dispute my overall disc golf knowledge because of my Wolf bashing. He claimed that it is a great disc. The fact that he putts with a Blowfly hurt his credibility, though.

I have never thrown one. can't speak of its brilliance or lack there of. but I have never seen anyone throw one who was any good. that has to stand for something.

JHern said:

a wild dgcr post appears!

I didn't read all the posts in here but they all better be saying "yes Frank is right. The Ontario Roc is the most similar. I completely agree and don't suggest any other disc".

Latest posts