• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Star Plastic vs Champion Plastic: Which and Why? (esp in drivers)

star vs. champ (overstable) -
duly noted. I've experience difrernly results, but obviously, the number of people agreeing show my results were incorrect.
Thanks for the clarification.

Has any one noticed a distance variance between the two (star vs. champion) in drivers? It seemed to me that Star went farther, but again, my analysis could be incorrect.

Prerube: 8204 posts, 8000 gashing at people's search skills, 200 fighting for the disabled, 4 with content.

After discovering the Ignore feature this is no longer an issue for me. In reading 100+ of his posts, I've never found one that added worthwhile content to anything.

Has any one noticed a distance variance between the two (star vs. champion) in drivers? It seemed to me that Star went farther, but again, my analysis could be incorrect.

I don't think that there's a right or wrong answer there. The plastic type isn't a big factor with flight, more of it depends on the shape of the disc, (domey or flat), as this will determine how much glide you get out of the disc, which will determine the distance you get out of it.

I think there is a huge difference in stability. z and champ are clearly more stable and last way longer. i also feel like they are a bit faster. that could be a misperception. but I disagree with the idea that plastic type doesnt matter. would you say that a dx valk and a champ valk fly the same out of the box?

I think there is a huge difference in stability. z and champ are clearly more stable and last way longer. i also feel like they are a bit faster. that could be a misperception. but I disagree with the idea that plastic type doesnt matter. would you say that a dx valk and a champ valk fly the same out of the box?

Never said it didn't matter, and the plastics being compared were champ and star, not DX and DX. I just said it wasn't a huge factor. But yes, champ and z are more stable, and will be less prone to bad scratches and scuffs.

Never said it didn't matter, and the plastics being compared were champ and star, not DX and DX. I just said it wasn't a huge factor. But yes, champ and z are more stable, and will be less prone to bad scratches and scuffs.

It sounded like you said that plastic type wasnt a factor. and in that general comment I inferred that it was only the mold that mattered. take a champ destroyer vs a star destroyer. or z wasp and esp wasp. serious differences in stability.

you think star is more overstable than champ plastic? i disagree, i think they start off about the same but the star breaks in quicker and after some rounds champ plastic is consistently more overstable than star plastic in every disc in my bag.

This. I'll even add that Champ IMO is more stable off the rack.

I've thrown thousands of different discs and I have to say that there are very few patterns that hold universally true when it comes to Champ vs. Star other than Champ is more durable. I'm pretty sure that the 2 plastics are usually like 80% the same material wise, but I know that varies run to run. Whether a disc ends up under or overstable, or faster or slower, all depends on how it shrinks and cools. This has a lot to do with the environment in which the discs cool. For example, discs made in the winter will cool faster, which causes more shrinkage. Shrinkage usually pulls the parting line up and pops the dome up as well, which makes the disc more overstable. So in general, discs made in winter will tend to be more overstable across manufacturers (with the exception of Disc Golf Aotearoa which is made in New Zealand). Of course, all new runs are usually mixed with backstock, so you can't try and buy your discs in the spring if you like overstable;).

Anyway, it's really hard to even have a good perspective on this topic unless you've thrown a lot of discs...Different runs, weights, plastics, plastic variations...The more information you have to evaluate the blurrier many of the common patterns noticed in a limited sample become.

I've thrown thousands of different discs and I have to say that there are very few patterns that hold universally true when it comes to Champ vs. Star other than Champ is more durable. I'm pretty sure that the 2 plastics are usually like 80% the same material wise, but I know that varies run to run. Whether a disc ends up under or overstable, or faster or slower, all depends on how it shrinks and cools. This has a lot to do with the environment in which the discs cool. For example, discs made in the winter will cool faster, which causes more shrinkage. Shrinkage usually pulls the parting line up and pops the dome up as well, which makes the disc more overstable. So in general, discs made in winter will tend to be more overstable across manufacturers (with the exception of Disc Golf Aotearoa which is made in New Zealand). Of course, all new runs are usually mixed with backstock, so you can't try and buy your discs in the spring if you like overstable;).

Anyway, it's really hard to even have a good perspective on this topic unless you've thrown a lot of discs...Different runs, weights, plastics, plastic variations...The more information you have to evaluate the blurrier many of the common patterns noticed in a limited sample become.

This is exactly how I feel about it too. You can't look at them, and half the time you have to know what you're looking for to see a difference visually. But, throwing them tells the tale. Even the most general of generalizations here as Discspeed said tends to become mixed.

It sounded like you said that plastic type wasnt a factor. and in that general comment I inferred that it was only the mold that mattered. take a champ destroyer vs a star destroyer. or z wasp and esp wasp. serious differences in stability.
But is that becasue of the plastic or because of the shape of the disc? Some have made observations that the high end plastic tends to be more true to the actual mold with more defined features and that leads to more stability. If you have a DX disc that molds up more true then it will start off more overstable as well. Lots of DX Teebirds have started off more overstable than the Champs. Old mold DX Beasts started off more overstable than Champ Beasts as well.

I'm not suggesting that it makes a difference. It's quite obvious that Champ/Star discs tend to mold up more overstable. Having an idea of why it's like this can help people accept it when it turns out a DX disc starts off more overstable than a Champ/Star disc.

Latest posts