• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is the "chain slap gimme" actually legal?

mrtho

Par Member
We have all seen it someone's disk lands right at the basket close enough that they would purposely have to throw it the wrong way to miss. They pick it up, reach forward, touch the chains, then move on.
It's an understood gimme an nobody ever argues. Ok I know that the rules state that a throw must leave your hand and that to hole out it must be supported by the chains, pole, inside of the basket, or a combination of the 3, so it's technically illegal, but is it something that just "accepted" in tournaments without any argument or are you expected to physically drop it in?

New to both this site and DG so if this is in the wrong place I apologise.

Should not be accepted at sanctioned tournaments at least. That's not to say that it doesn't take place at some, but it's not generally accepted.

I've never seen anyone do it in a tournament, and don't think it would be accepted if they did (at least above a certain division level).

I've also seen a few people miss drop-in putts, usually clowning around a bit.

I know once, in the final round of a tournament, extremely tired and well out of the payout, I wearily and absent-mindedly picked up my disc from under the basket and walked off without putting out. A friend of mine on the card sent me back to putt out.

I saw a guy push his putter in to the chains, let it go and the chains sprang back and threw his putter out and it rolled like 10ft away. Not relevant to this discussion but it was a pretty ****ty thing to happen in a tournament.

I've never seen anyone do it in a tournament, and don't think it would be accepted if they did (at least above a certain division level).

I've also seen a few people miss drop-in putts, usually clowning around a bit.

I know once, in the final round of a tournament, extremely tired and well out of the payout, I wearily and absent-mindedly picked up my disc from under the basket and walked off without putting out. A friend of mine on the card sent me back to putt out.

That's a good friend!

chain slap, no clap, get some snap, put in back.
you gotta, putt betta, to chedda, no gimme.
disc rest, in best, rim crest, chains or basket.

Is the "chain slap gimme" actually legal?

We have an unofficial rule for out casual rounds that you can do it, but if you somehow miss the chains on your swipe it's a stroke.

But nearly everyone here that ever plays tournaments putt those out.

For casual play with $ on the line I play a gimme rule where any shot that can be placed in the basket without the disc leaving the hand is a gimme. I've seen plenty of missed 5 foot putts but not many missed drop-ins.

Must be a superstition thing to slap chains. If it's a gimme like that, just pick it up and walk away. What's the point in slapping chains?

I don't see it much around here, usually just newbs seem to do it.

It's said that the original design of the chain assembly was supposed to look like a human torso. So think of it as slapping your buddy on the back after a great catch.

"chain slap gimme"

Man I like this for a song title.

I got the chain slap gimme blues,
I thought it was in, then they spit on my shoes

Some of the pros are pretty picky about this topic. I remember hearing big germ joking about one of the players reaching in the basket with another disc in the same hand and how that is improper. I think he mentioned it twice so while he sounded like he was kidding, I don't think he really was. Best thing to do is to throw the disc in pick it up and walk away. Unless you are Ricky. He often takes a couple of tries to get the disc out of the basket.

I slap the chains mainly to let the people behind me know i am done with the hole. A lot of my home courses holes are blind from the tee or have an obstructed view. Chainslaps can generally be heard from the tee box.